Got a Bachelor's? Teach English Online for up to $22/hr (Set your own hours)

Started by OzarkCatholic, February 22, 2017, 10:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OzarkCatholic

Hey all,

Haven't been on here as much as I've started a second job teaching with a Chinese company that is recruiting native English speakers to teach English to 5-12 year olds. Since all you need is a bachelors degree and any possible teaching experience (from regular teaching, to tutoring, Sunday school, life guarding, babysitting, even training coworkers will work), I figured it was worth sharing.

Classes are 25-28 mins long, and there are bonuses for teaching 35+classes a month, and for not missing classes. The classes are taught with pre made power points, and there are dozens of example classes online too.

Student ability varies; I did have a year 3 kiddo (aged nine) who was telling me about how he likes knights and King Arthur, wants to be an astronaut, and has a pet fish. Younger kids you do a lot of sing-song stuff, (old mcdonalds, 5 little monkeys, etc) and I use a hand puppet to keep their interest. But again, at 25-28 mins a lesson, it goes by fast!
Hours are weird but you set them yourself which is nice, and can up or lower depending on schedule changes. The peak hours work for me as I'm able to work in the mornings from 4-6 am, then go to my regular classroom.

Pay ranges from $7-11 per half hour class. If you allow any slots to be booked within 24 hours, you will get a $2 class bonus. If a class gets cancelled/student does not show up, you still get paid (full for registered members, half for trial students). If you teach a trial class, you get paid the same amount as a regular class... If the student signs up, you get a $5 per trial student sign up bonus. I've taught over 30 classes this month, and intend to open a solo 401k to put all the money I make in.

If anyone is interested, consider using my referral link: https://t.vipkid.com.cn/?refereeId=3436338

Feels like Groundhog Day again.

Lynne

That's really interesting. How do you get paid? Paypal? I would want them to have access to my regular bank account.  ::)
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

OzarkCatholic

Direct deposit. I opened a new bank account at one near my primary bank, just to be safe. I intend to withdraw the money the Saturday after payday and walk it over to my main account.

You operate as an independent contractor on 6 month contracts initially. They do not take any taxes out, you you can use that to your advantage if you put the money in a tax-advantaged account like a solo 401k. This is especially good for me as I can sock away the max in my educator's 457 plan, then sock away up to the max in my solo 401k and bring down my tax burden significantly. My goal for this is to retire early/pursue other passion within 8-10 years (I'll be 36-39).

MilesChristi

The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

OzarkCatholic

Quote from: MilesChristi on February 22, 2017, 12:18:10 PM
This would be a great side-hustle

Indeed-that's why I'm doing it, myself.

The best part is that there are tons of ways to grow or expand with them to suit your needs. For example, after your initial contract you can apply to be a practicum/teacher trainee evaluator. The times of day expand to regular US hours, which makes setting your own schedule even easier.

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

OzarkCatholic

Quote from: Bonaventure on February 22, 2017, 02:34:30 PM
Thanks for this

No problem!

Anyone thinking of applying, if you want tips on how to be successful in the mock lesson, pm me. I can send a message, or we can even do a mock lesson via Skype

rbjmartin

Thanks for posting this! It's an answer to many prayers. I went ahead and interviewed last night, and I did reasonably well. I'm happy with the rate I'll be making. This will really help pay off our adoption debt and some other debts, as well as help pay my oldest daughter's way through college (God willing, she will matriculate in the Fall of 2018).

OzarkCatholic

Quote from: rbjmartin on February 23, 2017, 10:30:55 AM
Thanks for posting this! It's an answer to many prayers. I went ahead and interviewed last night, and I did reasonably well. I'm happy with the rate I'll be making. This will really help pay off our adoption debt and some other debts, as well as help pay my oldest daughter's way through college (God willing, she will matriculate in the Fall of 2018).
No problem! If you get through the contract phase, you'll receive a $25 gift card, and if you can schedule your first class on or after March 1, that would be best for my numbers :)

Btw, ALL applicants who get through the contract phase by feb 28 will receive a $25 gift card!

Heinrich

OzarkCatholic,

Thank you! I am registered and will try to complete the preparation materials tomorrow and then sign up for an interview/demo class spot!

In Christ,

--H
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

rbjmartin

Did anyone else go through with this? I'm now on week 3 of teaching, and I'm loving it!

Parresia

I am quite interested in this as well.  We could certainly use some extra income with a baby now and in the hunt for a house.  Those who are into this, please PM me if you get a moment. 

Cheers,

Chestertonian

This looks like a great opportunity. I bet this would have been a great fit for me if I stumbled on it a few years ago. 
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

OzarkCatholic

Been busy guys! Had my spring break recently and played with 5 hours of classes, m-f.

I will be matching my salaried tanker home income for last month, making $1500+ for March.

This is seriously the best job I've had... If you're at all interested, send me a pm and/or click my referral!

Quote from: rbjmartin on March 22, 2017, 10:36:15 AM
Did anyone else go through with this? I'm now on week 3 of teaching, and I'm loving it!

Hey, sorry I haven't emailed you back yet, been busy! Glad you are liking it! I plan to be doing 20 hours a week this summer, Monday through Friday. Definitely loving it!

Bl. Karl Hapsburg

My wife taught at a school for 3 years but does not have a bachelors degree. Would she be able to still interview? She has been looking for a way to make extra income for a while now.
If people don't believe in God, they won't believe in nothing; they'll believe in anything - Chesterton