Does anybody read The Traditionalist Magazine

Started by martin88nyc, January 23, 2019, 10:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martin88nyc

Here is their latest issue. I find it very interesting. Exactly what I would like to find in a traditional catholic magazine.
https://www.catholicmediaapostolate.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/The-Traditionalist.pdf
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Maximilian

Quote from: martin88nyc on January 23, 2019, 10:37:50 PM
Here is their latest issue. I find it very interesting. Exactly what I would like to find in a traditional catholic magazine.
https://www.catholicmediaapostolate.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/The-Traditionalist.pdf

Thanks for the link.

Some comments:

1. Roger McCaffrey. He used to be publisher of "Latin Mass" magazine.
2. Interesting business model: Just print the magazines and send them out and hope for donations.
3. Overall tone is very indult Catholic.
4. Dietrich von Hildebrand as their guiding light.

The last point is especially problematic. Dietrich von Hildebrand is NOT a good guide. He was a personalist. His philosophy has been proven false and disastrous when put into practice.

Just like there is the whole school of conservative Catholics at Ignatius Press who follow Hans Urs von Balthasar and his "hell is empty" philosophy, so there this other school that follows Dietrich von Hildebrand and his personalist philosophy.

The problem with all these people who were liberal supporters of Vatican II and then later became conservative when "things went too far," is that all of them are willing to point fingers at other people and say "Mistakes were made" by someone, somewhere, but they will never point the finger at themselves and say:
"I was wrong."
"I contributed to the collapse of the Church."
"My ideas were misguided and destructive."
"I hereby renounce my former philosophy of personalism (or whichever)."

Maximilian

Quote from: Kaesekopf on January 23, 2019, 11:17:46 PM
Never heard of it.

Based on reading the magazine at the link provided in the O.P., the reason why you've never heard of it is because this is the their first and so far only edition.

The "Publisher's Note" says that they are going to publish occasionally, and that's part of the reason for the business model where instead of subscriptions they just send out the magazines and hope for donations.

Maximilian

Additional comments:

5. Very nice design and layout. A little artsy, but not over the top.
6. Very much the Anglophilic school of Catholicism. Lots of references to Cardinal Newman and Evelyn Waugh.
7. Positive references to Archbishop Lefebvre written by Bishop Athanasius Schneider in a review of a book describing the history of Una Voce. Nostalgia for the happy cooperation between Michael Davies of Una Voce and Archbishop Lefebvre.
8. Love for Benedict XVI, but even more for Ratzinger before he became pope.

martin88nyc

Quote from: Maximilian on January 24, 2019, 07:32:07 AM
Never heard of it.

Based on reading the magazine at the link provided in the O.P., the reason why you've never heard of it is because this is the their first and so far only edition.

The "Publisher's Note" says that they are going to publish occasionally, and that's part of the reason for the business model where instead of subscriptions they just send out the magazines and hope for donations.
No. They've been around for some time no. I think all of their issues are special editions.
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Maximilian

Quote from: martin88nyc on January 24, 2019, 09:51:37 AM
Never heard of it.

No. They've been around for some time no. I think all of their issues are special editions.

Oh, okay. Here is what the "Publisher's Note" says. Looks like I may have misinterpreted it.

"Despite the "Spring 2018" page footers, you are holding in
your hands the occasional edition—mailed free to selected
readers like you—of The Traditionalist. Every edition is published
with the hope that its cost will be partially covered by readers
like you—who see the return envelope inside and send a donation.
Or who buy one of our books; see Roman Catholic Books
ads herein, or visit our BooksForCatholics.com website.

Additional comment:
9. Address is Ridgefield CT. So while the message of the articles is focused on indult TLM, it looks probable that the Publisher attends Mass at the SSPX. There's a large SSPX facility in Ridgefield, but no indult nearby that I know of.

Kaesekopf

Never heard of it.

I like when someone does the legwork for me haha

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Lynne

Quote from: Maximilian on January 24, 2019, 07:29:29 AM
Quote from: martin88nyc on January 23, 2019, 10:37:50 PM

Thanks for the link.

Some comments:

1. Roger McCaffrey. He used to be publisher of "Latin Mass" magazine.
2. Interesting business model: Just print the magazines and send them out and hope for donations.
3. Overall tone is very indult Catholic.

The last point is especially problematic. Dietrich von Hildebrand is NOT a good guide. He was a personalist. His philosophy has been proven false and disastrous when put into practice.

Just like there is the whole school of conservative Catholics at Ignatius Press who follow Hans Urs von Balthasar and his "hell is empty" philosophy, so there this other school that follows Dietrich von Hildebrand and his personalist philosophy.

The problem with all these people who were liberal supporters of Vatican II and then later became conservative when "things went too far," is that all of them are willing to point fingers at other people and say "Mistakes were made" by someone, somewhere, but they will never point the finger at themselves and say:
"I was wrong."

Roger McCaffrey comes from an interesting family...

If you are of a certain age, the name of Neil McCaffrey, Jr. may sound familiar. He was the founder of the Conservative Book Club and of Arlington House Publishers. A staunch Catholic, he was an influential backgrounder in the conservative movement but also in the orthodox Catholic movement. Many of the titles he published I still have on my shelves at home. The books he saw through the presses were no little influence in my intellectual and religious development.

McCaffrey, who died in 1994, left behind not only a publishing legacy but also a publishing lineage. Most of his children have been active—again, largely behind the scenes—in promoting the faith in America.

Neil McCaffrey III runs the Book Center of the Rockies, which is based in Fort Collins. His brother Eugene oversees The Intrepid Group, also in Fort Collins. It is from these offices that Ignatius Press books are shipped. Gene's wife, Victoria, runs the Ronald Knox Society website, where you will find much information about, and many writings from, the priest who was one of the three most influential writers in my development as an apologist (the others being Frank Sheed and Arnold Lunn).

Neil and Gene's sister Maureen is married to Chilton Williamson, the books editor at Chronicles magazine and formerly a senior editor at National Review. He is the author of eight books, including novels, and is a convert to the faith. For her part, Maureen is an editor and blogger. She edits a website called The Intelligent Catholic's Guide.

The third brother is Roger McCaffrey, founding editor of The Latin Mass and Sursum Corda magazines and, since 1985, president of Roman Catholic Books, a company that reprints Catholic classics. Among its authors have been Lunn; Herbert Thurston, S.J.; Dietrich von Hildebrand; and Bl. John Henry Newman. Roger also has written widely in such venues as The Wall Street Journal, the Spectator, and the National Catholic Register.

Given all the good work they have done for the Church over several decades, Neil McCaffrey, Jr.'s offspring are not as well-known as they deserve to be. It's hard to think of another family that has done so much good for the intellectual and spiritual life of the Church in America.

https://www.catholic.com/magazine/print-edition/the-overestimation-of-dorothy-day

Catholic Answers/Karl Keating endorses them.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

mikemac

Quote from: Maximilian on January 24, 2019, 07:29:29 AM

"I was wrong."

Are you sure you are thinking of the right person Maximilian?  That is the first time I have ever seen anybody talk bad about Dietrich von Hildebrand.

QuoteHildebrand was called "the twentieth-century Doctor of the Church"[1] by Pope Pius XII.
A vocal critic of the changes in the church brought by the Second Vatican Council, Hildebrand became vice director of Luigi Villa's Chiesa viva ("Living Church")[2] and especially resented the new liturgy: "Truly, if one of the devils in C. S. Lewis's The Screwtape Letters had been entrusted with the ruin of the liturgy, he could not have done it better."[3]
Source - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietrich_von_Hildebrand
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

Gardener

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Maximilian

Quote from: mikemac on January 24, 2019, 10:51:38 PM

That is the first time I have ever seen anybody talk bad about Dietrich von Hildebrand.

QuoteHildebrand was called "the twentieth-century Doctor of the Church"[1] by Pope Pius XII.

Phoney quote is typical of his modern advertising-machine approach to theology.

Footnote takes you to DvH's own book. I have never seen an authentic source for this claim which has been repeated ad nauseum by his wife.

Quote from: mikemac on January 24, 2019, 10:51:38 PM

A vocal critic of the changes in the church brought by the Second Vatican Council, Hildebrand became vice director of Luigi Villa's Chiesa viva ("Living Church")[2] and especially resented the new liturgy: "Truly, if one of the devils in C. S. Lewis's The Screwtape Letters had been entrusted with the ruin of the liturgy, he could not have done it better."[3][/size]

This is exactly the sort of thing that I am talking about. He became a "vocal critic" of the new liturgy. But what about personalism? He never became a "vocal critic" of that. His wife is still pushing it. So are his other disciples.

The part of the destruction that he was responsible for, he pretends was the one good part of Vatican II. They all did the same thing -- Ratzinger, von Balthasar, etc.

It's like there is a city, and there are men with plungers in their hand ready to detonate dynamite. They all push their plungers, and the city is leveled. Then the man on the West wall blames the man on the East wall, "Look how he destroyed the city." They all blame the other guy and ignore the plunger in their own hands.

Even worse, they say, "Good thing we blew up this West wall. It was old and really needed to come down. But what a shame those other guys blew up that East wall. It was a beautiful, historic monument."