A Dose of Augustine

Started by james03, September 11, 2023, 05:36:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

james03

The late Fr. Hesse, a much learned Thomist, oftentimes relied heavily on St. Augustine.  For example, he stated: "It is so simple, that you can't accept it.  I Am.".

Here is some St. Augustine that goes into it a little more deeply:

QuoteCarnal perception does not receive, for no other reason except because it perceives as it can the true things which are created, but cannot discern the Truth itself by which they are created; for if it could, then the very corporeal light would in no way be more clear than this which we have said.  For in respect to the substance of truth, since it alone truly is, nothing is greater, unless because it is more truly. ...
Behold and see if thou canst, O soul pressed down by the corruptible body, and weighed down by earthly thoughts, many and various; behold and see, if thou canst, that God is Truth.  For it is written that "God is light;" not in such way as these eyes see, but in such way as the heart sees, when it is said, He is truth [reality].  Ask not what is truth [reality] for immediately the darkness of corporeal images and the clouds of phantasms will put themselves in the way and will disturb that calm which at the first twinkling with which thou art dazzled, as it were, by a flash, when it is said to thee, TRUTH.  But thou canst not; thou wilt glide back into those usual and earthly things.  And what weight, pray, is it that will cause thee so to glide back, unless it be the bird-lime of stains of appetite thou hast contracted, and the errors of the wandering from the right path....
For wherefore there would be no changeable goods, unless there were the unchangeable good (WHAT are you looking at when you stop at the scenic overlook? -- Moscow James).  Whenever then thou art told of this good thing and that good thing, which things can also in other respects by called not good, if thou canst put aside those things which are good by the participation of the good, and discern THAT good itself by the participation of which they are good: if, then thou canst remove these things, and canst discern the good in itself, then thou wilt have discerned God. ...
For the mind already was, that could wish to be turned to that from which it was: but that as yet was not, that could wish to be before it was.  And herein is our supreme good, when we see whether the thing ought to be or to have been, respecting which we comprehend that it ought to be or to have been, and when we see that the thing could not have been unless it ought to have been, of which we also do not comprehend in what manner it ought to have been.  This good then is not far from every one of us for in it we live, and move, and have our being.  But it is by love that we must stand firm to this and cleave to this in order that we may enjoy the presence of that by which we are, and in the absence of which we could not be at all.

I've been reading On the Trinity.  And St. Augustine is supposed to be writing about the Trinity, which he does, but every chapter or so he detours and gets caught up in mysticism, and blows you away.  I find those sections to be the best part of the book.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

james03

QuoteBut it is by love that we must stand firm to this and cleave to this in order that we may enjoy the presence of that by which we are, and in the absence of which we could not be at all.

So How?

Here's one way.  A lot of people have to check up on old people.  And the phone calls can be strained as they have  not much to talk about, and you may even develop a dread of it.  If this happens, rejoice and thank your Guardian Angel for giving you this opportunity.

Say, "For the love of Jesus", pick up the phone, and make the call.

An extra gold coin in heaven, AND you are increasing your love of God.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

Bernadette

QuoteBut it is by love that we must stand firm to this and cleave to this in order that we may enjoy the presence of that by which we are, and in the absence of which we could not be at all.
Beautiful, James. Very helpful. I should read more St. Augustine, but the language usage throws me off.
My Lord and my God.

james03

St. Augustine is very difficult to read.  I go a chapter at a time.  He or his translators likely hold the Guinness Book World Record for the most commas used in a single sentence.

But it is profitable to read.  It is striking how at that early date the Philosophy of Catholicism was already taken for granted.

Bernadette

I've just found the Confessions and The City of God in one audiobook, read by a Scot. Most enjoyable.
My Lord and my God.

queen.saints

Quote from: Bernadette on October 04, 2023, 04:35:16 PMI've just found the Confessions and The City of God in one audiobook, read by a Scot. Most enjoyable.

That sounds lovely! Where did you find it?
I am sorry for the times I have publicly criticized others on this forum, especially traditional Catholic religious, and any other scandalous posts and pray that no one reads or believes these false and ignorant statements.

Bernadette

Quote from: queen.saints on October 26, 2023, 05:47:26 AM
Quote from: Bernadette on October 04, 2023, 04:35:16 PMI've just found the Confessions and The City of God in one audiobook, read by a Scot. Most enjoyable.

Audible. It's called The Best of Augustine. Only the Confessions is read by the Scot, though. :(
My Lord and my God.

queen.saints

Quote from: Bernadette on October 26, 2023, 07:20:58 AM
Quote from: queen.saints on October 26, 2023, 05:47:26 AM

Audible. It's called The Best of Augustine. Only the Confessions is read by the Scot, though. :(
Thank you!
I am sorry for the times I have publicly criticized others on this forum, especially traditional Catholic religious, and any other scandalous posts and pray that no one reads or believes these false and ignorant statements.

Joseph_3

Quote from: Bernadette on September 14, 2023, 11:49:46 AM
Beautiful, James. Very helpful. I should read more St. Augustine, but the language usage throws me off.

Keep studying Augustine and other older authors. It takes a while to become "fluent" in pre 1900 English. One day it'll click.