What is spiritual adoption?

Started by ServusMariae, April 16, 2018, 07:49:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ServusMariae

Was casually hanging out on a Catholic website a few days back when I saw this interesting little picture:

Is there such a thing called spiritual adoption? If it's real, who can do the adoption & who can one pick to adopt? Is it some way to become emotionally attached to a person? What makes spiritual adoption "special" versus ordinary prayers for a specific person?

(That said, I recall having 1-to-1 time with a friend many aeons back. Asked him along the lines of being a spiritual son (because "BF" is for youngsters) but he told me he & I were better off being normal friends :P )

Daniel

I know nothing about it, but it says "pray for him for a year". I suppose that's the main difference then: it's a longer commitment than just praying a few prayers for somebody.

kayla_veronica

I'm not sure what you mean by "if it's real." After reading the source article, it seems to me that is was just an idea someone had. There's no spiritual relationship, like there is between a godparent/godchild.
May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable,
most incomprehensible and ineffable Name of God
be forever praised, blessed, loved, adored
and glorified in Heaven, on earth,
and under the earth,
by all the creatures of God,
and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ,
in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar.
Amen.

Kaesekopf

While there may not be a formal relationship established, the idea and practice is a very good one.  Lord knows we need all the help and prayers we can get.  We should do well to pray for our living brethren, as well, especially those close to us. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Lynne

Actually, I'd suggest spiritually adopting a priest

http://www.opusangelorum.org/crusade/crusade_frontpage_dw.htm

and for friends or relatives, offering up reparation for their sins...
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Lynne on April 19, 2018, 02:51:20 PM
Actually, I'd suggest spiritually adopting a priest

http://www.opusangelorum.org/crusade/crusade_frontpage_dw.htm

and for friends or relatives, offering up reparation for their sins...

Also better.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.