Home altars

Started by Relicario, March 03, 2016, 05:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dymphna17

Quote from: Carleendiane on October 20, 2016, 12:16:21 PM
Quote from: PerEvangelicaDicta on October 20, 2016, 12:08:30 PM
Quote from: Prayerful on October 19, 2016, 05:59:10 PM
Now that is a fantastic image. Great altars everyone!

Amen.
My heart is moved by these beautiful, humble, holy altars.

Years ago we rescued a statue of our BVM and a bas relief of the Lord's Supper at a pagan's antique store.  The store was in a rural area that had masonic temples and cemeteries in each of the small towns surrounding.  They had been in an old church that was wreckovated.  Our Mother was gathering dust in the back room, and the bas relief was in the basement on the floor.
They are part of our altar area now.

We too rescued a piece of Catholic art. It was in a small warehouse behind a Catholic shop. It is a four and half foot statue of the Sacred Heart Jesus. It is a Cadillac of Sacred Heart. Made by an artist who allowed only a few made with his mold and then he wrecked the mold. If I remember right, and it is stamped on the statue in the back, I think it is a DaPrada. 100 bucks. He is the heart and soul of our home and has been for 20 yrs. Thanks God!

Ooooo!!! I wanna see, I wanna see! Both Carleendiane and PerEvangelicaDicta's sounds lovely.
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

aquinas138

Quote from: PerEvangelicaDicta on October 20, 2016, 01:59:25 PM

Amen.

Years ago we rescued a statue of our BVM and a bas relief of the Lord's Supper at a pagan's antique store.  The store was in a rural area that had masonic temples and cemeteries in each of the small towns surrounding.  They had been in an old church that was wreckovated.  Our Mother was gathering dust in the back room, and the bas relief was in the basement on the floor.

We too rescued a piece of Catholic art. It was in a small warehouse behind a Catholic shop. It is a four and half foot statue of the Sacred Heart Jesus. It is a Cadillac of Sacred Heart. Made by an artist who allowed only a few made with his mold and then he wrecked the mold. If I remember right, and it is stamped on the statue in the back, I think it is a DaPrada. 100 bucks. He is the heart and soul of our home and has been for 20 yrs. Thanks God!

There's an indescribable feeling, having these holy objects, don't you think Carleendiane?  I can't explain it properly.

And there is SO MUCH of this stuff out there! My mother scoops up religious images at those kinds of places. The most horrifying story, though was my mother-in-law venturing into the basement of a wreckovated church. The high altar had been smashed to pieces, and the statuary was just piled up in the basement along with heaps of old books.

Worst though, was a reliquary, containing a finger bone, thrown in the heap with no documentation. In the iconoclastic spirit of the 70s, all that documentation was "swept out" - so we really have no idea whose finger it was! My MIL took the reliquary into her home for several years; I believe a new bishop eventually took custody of the relics to try to ascertain their provenance. She has sadly found several reliquaries tossed in church basements. The others, fortunately, were still labeled and documented. It makes me think I should investigate churches that have been wreckovated - who knows what's still down in basements just down the road from me!
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.

angelcookie

Do you just call around and ask churches if they have anything in their basements or storages? How would one make a prie dieu?

PerEvangelicaDicta

Quote from: aquinas138 on October 20, 2016, 04:33:56 PM
Quote from: PerEvangelicaDicta on October 20, 2016, 01:59:25 PM

Amen.

There's an indescribable feeling, having these holy objects, don't you think Carleendiane?  I can't explain it properly.

And there is SO MUCH of this stuff out there! My mother scoops up religious images at those kinds of places. The most horrifying story, though was my mother-in-law venturing into the basement of a wreckovated church. The high altar had been smashed to pieces, and the statuary was just piled up in the basement along with heaps of old books.

Worst though, was a reliquary, containing a finger bone, thrown in the heap with no documentation. In the iconoclastic spirit of the 70s, all that documentation was "swept out" - so we really have no idea whose finger it was! My MIL took the reliquary into her home for several years; I believe a new bishop eventually took custody of the relics to try to ascertain their provenance. She has sadly found several reliquaries tossed in church basements. The others, fortunately, were still labeled and documented. It makes me think I should investigate churches that have been wreckovated - who knows what's still down in basements just down the road from me!

I wonder what special circle of Hell the unrepentant wreckovaters will occupy for the treatment of our holy martyrs and saints with such casual disdain. 
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

PerEvangelicaDicta

Quote from: angelcookie on October 20, 2016, 06:11:16 PM
Do you just call around and ask churches if they have anything in their basements or storages? How would one make a prie dieu?

Calling around is not a bad idea, angelcookie.  Start w/ churches, then broaden out to antique stores, resale stores and even estate sales.

Re: prie dieu, if you keep an eye out via google searches, you'll find a decent antique or second hand.  If you want to build it yourself, do a search for "how to build a prie dieu"  or "prayer kneeler". 

If you do so, please post a pic!
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled

Carleendiane

Per Evangelica, I notice that too. When we bring an item into our home we not only make a home for it, but it makes itself at home. Part of our lives.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Counter Revolutionary

Here is my little set up:
A framed picture of the statue Our Lady of Good Success, some holy cards, a scapular of benediction, and a print of St. Elizabeth Seton.

"Invincible ignorance is a punishment for sin." - St. Thomas Aquinas (De Infid. q. x., art. 1.)

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Counter Revolutionary on October 21, 2016, 05:33:24 PM
A framed picture of the statue Our Lady of Good Success, some holy cards, a scapular of benediction, and a print of St. Elizabeth Seton.

You should upload it to imgur and post that.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Counter Revolutionary

Sorry I didn't realize my image was that large. I edited my post so hopefully it looks better now.
"Invincible ignorance is a punishment for sin." - St. Thomas Aquinas (De Infid. q. x., art. 1.)

Carleendiane

Quote from: Counter Revolutionary on October 21, 2016, 05:33:24 PM

Absolutely lovely image of OLGS
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Counter Revolutionary

Thank you Carleendiane! Pro Multis Media sells it for only $5 (unframed) in case you or anyone else would like to get one http://shop.promultismedia.net/85x11-Print-of-Mary-of-Good-Success-OLGS.htm

PerEvangelicaDicta

Thank you both, Carleendiane and CR.
I've been putting together a traditional novena and other information for a special person.  I'll order this print to accompany the package.

Traditionallyruralmom

I want to share photos of our home altars through the seasons.  Photobucket is being very buggy and giving me lots of pop ups, so I am just going to link to my pretty neglected blog where I have photos of our home altars.

Our Lady of Guadalupe
http://ouradyofthefields.blogspot.com/2014/12/feast-day-of-our-lady-of-guadalupe.html

Probably one of my favorite altar photos from June
http://ouradyofthefields.blogspot.com/2014/06/june.html

Easter
http://ouradyofthefields.blogspot.com/2014/04/easter-family-altar.html

Lent
http://ouradyofthefields.blogspot.com/2014/03/lenten-family-altar.html

Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Lynne

Quote from: Traditionallyruralmom on October 22, 2016, 08:36:29 PM
I want to share photos of our home altars through the seasons.  Photobucket is being very buggy and giving me lots of pop ups, so I am just going to link to my pretty neglected blog where I have photos of our home altars.

Our Lady of Guadalupe
http://ouradyofthefields.blogspot.com/2014/12/feast-day-of-our-lady-of-guadalupe.html

Easter

Lent

I love those statues!
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

dymphna17

Quote from: Traditionallyruralmom on October 22, 2016, 08:36:29 PM

Our Lady of Guadalupe

Easter

Lent

That is amazing, Traditionallyruralmom! My home altar has been the same for about 25 years, other than to add object from those who have died.  I never thought of changing with the liturgical seasons.  Time to recontemplate!
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica