38% of women keep their maiden name

Started by Lyubov, July 08, 2013, 12:46:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ancilla Domini

Quote from: Bonaventure on July 08, 2013, 01:46:19 PM
Quote from: Ancilla Domini on July 08, 2013, 12:26:34 PM
I wouldn't want to keep my maiden name, least of all because I'm still hoping to be able to change it to something wonderfully ethnic someday! A string of Spanish or Portuguese names would be fantastic in my opinion!

I wonder why.

;)

OCLittleFlower

My husband and I have the same name in real life.  But he uses a pseudonym on Facebook, for privacy reasons.  A lot of people in their 20s use fake names on Facebook, and a married couple might not use the same fake name.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: Lyubov on July 08, 2013, 11:39:04 AM
I like the Duchess of Alba's full name:

María del Rosario Cayetana Paloma Alfonsa Victoria Eugenia Fernanda Teresa Francisca de Paula Lourdes Antonia Josefa Fausta Rita Castor Dorotea Santa Esperanza Fitz-James Stuart, Silva, Falcó y Gurtubay

Are those the names of all her plastic surgeons?   :tongue:

Jacafamala

My father-in-law had some crazy Polish name that no american on earth could spell. He was an editor and librarian he couldn't bare all the misspellings/ mispronunciations. So he had it shortened. Now my last name sounds, well, sorta Turkish. I wish he'd kept it the way it was.
"I shall die with weapons in my hands."
-St Therese of Lisieux

Machaut1377

I know in Iceland they still have the traditional practice of having the surname being the first name of the father or mother of the individual (usually father with a male and mother with a female) with -son or -dottir tacked on.  So Sigurd whose father is named Thorkill would be Sigurd Thorkillson and Sigrid whose mother is Sovieg would be Sigrid Soviegdottir.  Though the case maybe that the children of either sex will take the name of either the father or the mother.

I believe the same system prevails (or did) in Russia.

LouisIX

Quote from: Machaut1377 on July 11, 2013, 04:10:19 PM
I know in Iceland they still have the traditional practice of having the surname being the first name of the father or mother of the individual (usually father with a male and mother with a female) with -son or -dottir tacked on.  So Sigurd whose father is named Thorkill would be Sigurd Thorkillson and Sigrid whose mother is Sovieg would be Sigrid Soviegdottir.  Though the case maybe that the children of either sex will take the name of either the father or the mother.

That's the way it is in The Brothers Karamazov.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Greg

In Russia you take the surname of your father and his Christian name.  Nothing at all from your mother.

So something like Alexander Petrov Lebed.  Or Alexandra Pertrova Lebeda.  Where the Father's name was Peter Lebed.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: Greg on July 12, 2013, 01:01:22 AM

In Russia you take the surname of your father and his Christian name.  Nothing at all from your mother.

So something like Alexander Petrov Lebed.  Or Alexandra Pertrova Lebeda.  Where the Father's name was Peter Lebed.

This.  It's just that girls get feminine endings, which might be where some of the confusion on this thread is coming from.   :tongue:

Though most Russians here in the US tend to use the father's last name, masculine ending, for all of their children born here -- and sometimes even those born in Russia if they immigrate as a family.  Thus, the American gymnast Nastia Liukin (who was born in Russia to rather well known gymnast parents) is Anastasia Valeryevna Liukin not Anastasia Valeryevna Liukina.  Nastia is a standard diminutive (nickname) for Anastasia.

MilesChristi

My uncle once recited his last name to three generations, technically its longer
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Der Kaiser

Quote from: Greg on July 12, 2013, 01:01:22 AM

Once again Russia proves it's better then the West.
"If a Pope changes the rites of the sacraments he puts himself outside the Church and is Anathema"-Pope Innocent III

"Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of Anti-Christ"-Our Lady of La Sallette

The hebrews have not recognized the lord, therefore we can not recognize the hebrews.-St Pius X

dymphna17

My French-Canadian grandmother had 6 names, 4 of which were aunt's names to be honored, i.e. Julianna, Georgianna, etc.  Yet on my grandfather's side, the oldest sons all switched between Maurice and Pierre for first and middle names.  This was throughout the family for generations.

On fb, I just use my maiden name to make it easier for friends and family to find me.  I don't use it in real life, other than to excuse my attitude.  lol
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

angelcookie

I don't like the hyphenated names. To me it's like saying I do but not completely just in case....

Penelope

I still use my maiden name... but only because I haven't filed the paperwork to change my name yet.

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: Penelope on August 08, 2013, 11:46:48 PM
I still use my maiden name... but only because I haven't filed the paperwork to change my name yet.

In your state, do you need to wait to get the official certificate back from the government to make the change?  On a California driver's license, you have to go to the Social Security people, marriage certificate in hand, and get your named changed with Social Security.  Then you wait in line at the DMV and show them the paper from the Social Security people.  Or, in my case, you go to the DMV first, stand in like for two hours only to be told to drive across town to the Social Security people and wait in their line.   ;)

Der Kaiser

Quote from: LouisIX on July 08, 2013, 01:27:28 AM
Quote from: Penelope on July 08, 2013, 01:10:05 AM
One really stupid thing I recently heard about was a family where the husband had his name, the wife kept her (father's) last name, and when they had a kid, they created some kind of portmanteau of the two last names to give their child a brand new combo last name.

People have no pride in their ancestry anymore.

Exactly, that is the problem. I won't marry a woman who keeps her maiden name. Thankfully none of the girls I am interested in find the pretentious lesbian/femnazi idea of keepings ones maiden name a good idea. The last girl I date now went off on a 1 hour rant about how stupid that is.
"If a Pope changes the rites of the sacraments he puts himself outside the Church and is Anathema"-Pope Innocent III

"Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of Anti-Christ"-Our Lady of La Sallette

The hebrews have not recognized the lord, therefore we can not recognize the hebrews.-St Pius X