Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 370938 times)

Offline red solo cup

• John 6:56
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Fair weather Catholic
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #2430 on: September 30, 2021, 08:35:53 AM »
El Camino. Walking to Santiago de Compostela by Lee Hoinacki.

How is it?

The Camino and more so the Via Francigena have always been on my bucket list
Very good. The author was nonpractising since childhood. While on the journey he began saying the rosary, had a profound experience and returned to the faith.
"It's so lonely 'round the fields of Athenry"

The following users thanked this post: maryslittlegarden, LausTibiChriste, Christe Eleison

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #2431 on: October 04, 2021, 11:03:24 AM »
Getting ready to start The Name of the Rose, by Umberto Eco.
"Make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is come to life again; he was lost, and is found."

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich, maryslittlegarden, Lynne, Tennessean

Offline Prayerful

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #2432 on: October 04, 2021, 12:41:37 PM »

It is perhaps a bit unfair on aspect of the Spiritual v Conventual Franciscan and the efforts of Bernardo Gui OP, who endeavoured to always emphasise mercy and repentance. Perhaps the film or drama recreations exaggerate it still further. Yet it is a fascinating book, and quite an outing for semiotics.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

The following users thanked this post: Christe Eleison

Offline Christina_S

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
  • Sub tuum praesidium
« Reply #2433 on: October 04, 2021, 01:47:21 PM »
Man, I guiltily enjoyed that one.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband!
Latest posts: - The Woman Is the Heart of the Home
- A Brief History of Residential Schools
- The Foolish Communicant

https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/

Offline maryslittlegarden

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #2434 on: October 04, 2021, 02:14:27 PM »
Rereading  In This House of Brede
Bestow upon us, O Lord, we beseech Thee, the spirit to think and do always such things as are right; that we who cannot exist without Thee, may be able to live according to Thy will. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, Who lives and reigns with Thee in the unity of the Holy Spirit, God, forever and ever

The following users thanked this post: Bernadette, Christe Eleison

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #2435 on: October 05, 2021, 04:22:09 PM »
Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follett. So far it’s good.
"Make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is come to life again; he was lost, and is found."

The following users thanked this post: LausTibiChriste

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #2436 on: October 08, 2021, 11:37:16 AM »
Taking a break to listen to Lulu's Christmas Story, by Ludmilla Bollow. I love this book.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 11:42:57 AM by Bernadette »

Offline Tennessean

• Korporal
« Reply #2437 on: October 08, 2021, 09:41:30 PM »
The Red and The Black

"Beware, my son, of what is passing within your heart," said the curé with a frown, "I congratulate you on your mission, if that is the only reason why you despise a more than ample fortune. It is fifty-six years since I was first curé of Verrières, and yet I shall be turned out, according to all appearances. I am distressed by it, and yet my income amounts to eight hundred francs. I inform you of this detail so that you may not be under any illusions as to what awaits you in your career as a priest. If you think of paying court to the men who enjoy power, your eternal damnation is assured. You may make your fortune, but you will have to do harm to the poor, flatter the sub-prefect, the mayor, the man who enjoys prestige, and pander to his passion; this conduct, which in the world is called knowledge of life, is not absolutely incompatible with salvation so far as a layman is concerned; but in our vocation we have to make a choice; it is a question of making one's fortune either in this world or the next; there is no middle road. Come, my dear friend, reflect, and come back in three days with a definite answer. I am pained to detect that there is at the bottom of your character a sombre passion which is far from indicating to me that moderation and that perfect renunciation of earthly advantages so necessary for a priest; I augur well of your intellect, but allow me to tell you," added the good curé with tears in his eyes, "I tremble for your salvation in your career as a priest."

Julien was ashamed of his emotion; he found himself loved for the first time in his life; he wept with delight; and went to hide his tears in the great woods behind Verrières.

"Why am I in this position?" he said to himself at last, "I feel that I would give my life a hundred times over for this good curé Chélan, and he has just proved to me that I am nothing more than a fool. It is especially necessary for me to deceive him, and he manages to find me out. The secret ardour which he refers to is my plan of making my fortune. He thinks I am unworthy of being a priest, that too, just when I was imagining that my sacrifice of fifty louis would give him the very highest idea of my piety and devotion to my mission."

"In future," continued Julien, "I will only reckon on those elements in my character which I have tested. Who could have told me that I should find any pleasure in shedding tears? How I should like some one to convince me that I am simply a fool!"

Three days later, Julien found the excuse with which he ought to have been prepared on the first day; the excuse was a piece of calumny, but what did it matter? He confessed to the curé, with a great deal of hesitation, that he had been persuaded from the suggested union by a reason he could not explain, inasmuch as it tended to damage a third party. This was equivalent to impeaching Elisa's conduct. M. Chélan found that his manner betrayed a certain worldly fire which was very different from that which ought to have animated a young acolyte.

"My friend," he said to him again, "be a good country citizen, respected and educated, rather than a priest without a vocation."

I'm reading Burton Raffel's translation, I like it more, but I wanted to share this part because its so ominous to me.

The following users thanked this post: maryslittlegarden, Maximilian, Michael Wilson, Christina_S

Offline red solo cup

• John 6:56
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Fair weather Catholic
« Reply #2438 on: October 14, 2021, 08:17:22 AM »
A Pride of Lions. Joshua Chamberlain & Other Maine Civil War Heroes by William Lemke
"It's so lonely 'round the fields of Athenry"

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich

Offline Heinrich

• Steig mal auf den Berg hinauf
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Gott, wende Dich zu uns und gib uns neues Leben
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
« Reply #2439 on: October 14, 2021, 09:46:05 AM »
A Pride of Lions. Joshua Chamberlain & Other Maine Civil War Heroes by William Lemke

Please give some anecdotes when done.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.