The survival mom.

Started by Jacafamala, June 23, 2013, 11:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacafamala

Has anyone seen this? She's got a lot of good stuff going on on her blog.

http://thesurvivalmom.com/home/
"I shall die with weapons in my hands."
-St Therese of Lisieux

maryslittlegarden

Hmmm.... I'm not a mom, but I like that blog. 
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Jacafamala

Yeah, I think she's got a lot of good information. After the last two Octobers here in New Jersey, I plan on being more prepared this Fall. You just never know.
-St Therese of Lisieux

Jacafamala

I'm just loving this website/blog. Mary'sgarden, what did you like about it?

I think this lady has a lot of good ideas without being an alarmist. This stuff is so important, especially for moms to be thinking about, since it's usually our responsibility to buy the household supplies. My family depends on me to be responsible that way, so I think it's part of my job.

What are the basic necessities in the event of an emergency? That's what I want to be thinking about. Right before the last hurricane hit, I went out to the dollor store and bought up a tone of batteries and flashlights, lighters.... Then over to Walmart for all kinds shelf-stable foods. The bottled water was already gone. Then I filled my gas tank up. After the storm, I had not only my own family, but also I had my sister's family, my own mother and some of my in-laws living here for like about two weeks. If we have another hurricane, or if there's some kind of economic collapse, or whatever, I want to be as prepared as I can be. I don't want to be scrambling at the last minute like before. I want to be as many steps ahead as possible, so I can deal with things a little better.
-St Therese of Lisieux

maryslittlegarden

Yeah, I like the basic stuff - there is no way I can be the kind of prepper that I'd like. 

So, have you ever tried Dumpster Diving?  I've only done a little bit- snagged a couple things in my apartment that were meant to be tossed. 

http://thesurvivalmom.com/2013/06/06/getting-started-dumpster-diving/
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

verenaerin

Jaca, are you stronger then the storm?

Jacafamala

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on June 25, 2013, 08:07:53 AM
Yeah, I like the basic stuff - there is no way I can be the kind of prepper that I'd like. 

So, have you ever tried Dumpster Diving?  I've only done a little bit- snagged a couple things in my apartment that were meant to be tossed. 

http://thesurvivalmom.com/2013/06/06/getting-started-dumpster-diving/

No. Things would have to be pretty darn bad before I'd ever do any dumpster diving.
-St Therese of Lisieux

Jacafamala

Quote from: verenaerin on June 25, 2013, 09:03:15 AM

Depends...Which storm? So far so good, I guess.  :)
-St Therese of Lisieux

maryslittlegarden

I will dumpster dive, but selectively.  Food- not unless I was desperate.  Furniture, not a problem given the condition.  Plus I kinda like the shabby chic look.

Jacafamala

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on June 25, 2013, 09:53:00 AM
I will dumpster dive, but selectively.  Food- not unless I was desperate.  Furniture, not a problem given the condition.  Plus I kinda like the shabby chic look.

I love shabby chic, too.
-St Therese of Lisieux

verenaerin

Quote from: Jacafamala on June 25, 2013, 09:05:55 AM

I've been hearing the commercials constantly.

Penelope

Quote from: verenaerin on June 25, 2013, 12:29:14 PM

Much to my annoyance, I often find myself waking up with that little song stuck in my head.

james03

Next time you drive around, spot the ethnic stores, especially hispanic, but also chinese.  During the next crisis, head to those stores.  You can buy bulk beans and rice long after Walmart is stripped bare.

For water, just make sure you always have bleach around.  What you really need for water are containers.  Just fill up your containers from the hose or spigot. 
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Jacafamala

Quote from: james03 on June 26, 2013, 12:46:42 AM
Next time you drive around, spot the ethnic stores, especially hispanic, but also chinese.  During the next crisis, head to those stores.  You can buy bulk beans and rice long after Walmart is stripped bare.

For water, just make sure you always have bleach around.  What you really need for water are containers.  Just fill up your containers from the hose or spigot.

Ethnic stores are a good idea.  :)

As for the water, in the end that's sort of what I did. I bought a bunch of plastic gallon sized pitchers and filled them up. Then I went and got a couple of those big water storage containers from our camping gear stuff and filled that, too. In the end, water wasn't even a problem here. We had the running water, but no heat and no electricity.
-St Therese of Lisieux

Jacafamala

Quote from: Penelope on June 25, 2013, 09:18:46 PM
Quote from: verenaerin on June 25, 2013, 12:29:14 PM

Much to my annoyance, I often find myself waking up with that little song stuck in my head.

:lol: I've never even heard it. What are you guys listening to?

-St Therese of Lisieux