Stock market wobbly

Started by james03, September 30, 2021, 12:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

james03

Looking pretty sick.  Looks like 4150, and maybe down below 4000.  Could be the debt ceiling fight going on.

Hopefully a pull back lasts until after Jan. 1 when I fund my IRA again.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

james03

This market looks bad. 

On the plus side, should set up a nice stock sale when it comes time to fund the IRA.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

Quote from: james03 on October 05, 2021, 07:05:34 AM
This market looks bad. 

Let it burn.

May it humble all the people who believe in an expanded role of the Fed.

May it awaken all the people who say, "This time is different."
this page left intentionally blank

Lynne

This market looks bad. 

On the plus side, should set up a nice stock sale when it comes time to fund the IRA.

The Irish Republican Army?!

:laugh:
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

james03

Looking ugly.  I'd be either short or on the sidelines.  I'm holding off on funding the IRA.  Hopefully looks like stocks will be on sale for a massive discount in the near future.

I'm not giving stock picks, but I'll discuss a strategy you should look into.  Identify some solid companies paying a nice dividend, say 3-4%.  Energy is a place to look.  Then wait.

During a bear market, the big guys are forced to sell their best holding just to raise cash.  Which means even the great stocks go lower.  That's when you buy.  And you lock in a starting dividend of 8%.  And you never sell after that.

Something to consider.

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

Quote from: james03 on October 13, 2021, 09:10:17 AM
I'm not giving stock picks, but I'll discuss a strategy you should look into.  Identify some solid companies paying a nice dividend, say 3-4%.  Energy is a place to look.  Then wait.

Dividend kings are good targets:

https://www.fool.com/investing/stock-market/types-of-stocks/dividend-stocks/dividend-kings/

Heinrich

Quote from: Lynne on October 05, 2021, 02:50:20 PM
This market looks bad. 

The Irish Republican Army?!

:laugh:

You ever see a hat passed around up there where you be?
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

james03

Well, that ended quickly.  Correction ended last Friday.  We're now back in the bull run.  Sucks for my IRA, I was hoping on picking up stocks on sale.

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

Quote from: james03 on October 19, 2021, 10:51:43 AM
Well, that ended quickly.  Correction ended last Friday.  We're now back in the bull run.  Sucks for my IRA, I was hoping on picking up stocks on sale.

Patience.  There'll be a chance.

When price becomes untethered from any serious measure of valuation, the price can far exceed what any optimist would expect in the last days of a bull run.

Heinrich

Quote from: ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez on October 19, 2021, 11:10:26 AM
Quote from: james03 on October 19, 2021, 10:51:43 AM

Patience.  There'll be a chance.

When price becomes untethered from any serious measure of valuation, the price can far exceed what any optimist would expect in the last days of a bull run.

I guess that 10% that owns 90% is bolstering hedge(short) portfolios to exercise real Capitalism.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.