Happy Feast of Saint Wenceslaus September 28~King of Bohemia Czech Republic

Started by Christe Eleison, September 28, 2021, 01:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christe Eleison

HAPPY FEAST OF SAINT WENCESLAUS-September 28

Especially to our friends in the Czech Republic, in Europe, and the poster in this forum by the same name.

Since 2000, the September 28 feast day has been a public holiday in the Czech Republic, celebrated as Czech Statehood Day.

c. 911 – September 28, 935),

Wenceslas I or Václav the Good was the duke (kníže) of Bohemia from 921 until his assassination in 935. His younger brother, Boleslaus the Cruel, was complicit in the murder.

His martyrdom and the popularity of several biographies gave rise to a reputation for heroic virtue that resulted in his elevation to sainthood. He was posthumously declared to be a king and came to be seen as the patron saint of the Czech state. He is the subject of the well-known "Good King Wenceslas", a carol for Saint Stephen's Day.

Wenceslaus was the son of Vratislaus I, Duke of Bohemia from the P?emyslid dynasty. His grandfather, Bo?ivoj I of Bohemia, was converted to Christianity by Cyril and Methodius. His mother, Drahomíra, was the daughter of a pagan tribal chief of the Havelli, but was baptized at the time of her marriage. His paternal grandmother, Ludmila of Bohemia, saw to it that he was educated in the Old Slavonic language and, at an early age, Wenceslaus was sent to the college at Bude?.

In 921, when Wenceslaus was about thirteen, his father died and his grandmother became regent. Jealous of the influence that Ludmila wielded over Wenceslaus, Drahomíra arranged to have her killed. Ludmila was at Tetín Castle near Beroun when assassins murdered her on September 15, 921. She is said to have been strangled by them with her veil. She was at first buried in the church of St. Michael at Tetín, but her remains were later removed, probably by Wenceslaus, to the church of St. George in Prague, which had been built by his father.

Wenceslaus was considered a martyr and saint immediately after his death, when a cult of Wenceslaus grew up in Bohemia and in England. Within a few decades, four biographies of him were in circulation. These hagiographies had a powerful influence on the High Middle Ages concept of the rex justus (righteous king), a monarch whose power stems mainly from his great piety as well as his princely vigor.

Referring approvingly to these hagiographies, the chronicler Cosmas of Prague, writing in about the year 1119, states:

But his deeds I think you know better than I could tell you; for, as is read in his Passion, no one doubts that, rising every night from his noble bed, with bare feet and only one chamberlain, he went around to God's churches and gave alms generously to widows, orphans, those in prison and afflicted by every difficulty, so much so that he was considered, not a prince, but the father of all the wretched.

Wenceslaus introduced German priests into his realm and favoured the Latin rite instead of the old Slavic, which had gone into disuse in many places for want of priests. He also founded a rotunda consecrated to St. Vitus at Prague Castle in Prague that was the basis of present-day St. Vitus Cathedral.

Several centuries later this legend was asserted as fact by Pope Pius II.

Although Wenceslaus was only a duke during his lifetime, Holy Roman Emperor Otto I posthumously "conferred on [Wenceslaus] the regal dignity and title", which is why he is referred to as "king" in legend and song.

The hymn "Svatý Václave" (Saint Wenceslaus) or "Saint Wenceslas Chorale" is one of the oldest known Czech songs.

Wenceslaus's feast day is celebrated on September 28. On this day, celebrations and a pilgrimage are held in the city of Stará Boleslav, whereas the translation of his relics, which took place in 938, is commemorated on March 4

Cyril and Methodius mentioned above were Bishops & Saints responsible for the conversion of the Slavs.

MATTHEW 25-40

More interesting information & history here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wenceslaus_I,_Duke_of_Bohemia#:~:text=Wenceslaus%27s%20feast%20day%20is%20celebrated%20on%20September%2028.,place%20in%20938%2C%20is%20commemorated%20on%20March%204.

Christe Eleison

LEGACY:

Wenceslaus is the subject of the popular Saint Stephen's Day (celebrated on December 26 in the West) carol "Good King Wenceslas".

It was published by John Mason Neale in 1853, and may be a translation of a poem by Czech poet Václav Alois Svoboda. The usual American English spelling of the Duke's name, "Wenceslaus", is occasionally encountered in later textual variants of the carol, although it was not used by Neale in his version. Wenceslaus is not to be confused with King Wenceslaus I of Bohemia (Wenceslaus I Premyslid), who lived more than three centuries later.

An equestrian statue of Saint Wenceslaus and other patrons of Bohemia (St. Adalbert, St. Ludmila, St. Prokop and St. Agnes of Bohemia) are located on Wenceslaus Square in Prague. The statue is a popular meeting place in Prague. Demonstrations against the Communist regime were held there.

His helmet and armour are on display inside Prague Castle.

May Saint King Wenceslaus, Pray for us! :pray3: :pray2:

MATTHEW 25-40

Christe Eleison

Good King Wenceslaus - Traditional Choir

19th century English hymn "Good King Wenceslas" by John Mason Neale performed by a traditional choir with lyrics

Matthew 25:40

The "Feast of Stephen", for those who might not know, is St. Stephen's Day, December 26, one of the "Twelve Days of Christmas".  This carol is associated with December 26, since "Good King Wenceslas looked out on the Feast of Stephen".  It's not a Christmas carol, but associated with the Christmas season nonetheless.

May Saint King Wenceslaus, Pray for us! :pray3:

Christe Eleison

Good King Wenceslas (from Piae Cantiones, 1582)

Michala Petri, recorder and Danish National Vocal Ensemble conducted by Michael Bojesen.
From Christmas concert December 11th 2015  "Let The Angels Sing" . Garnisonskirken, Copenhagen, Live performance.

Good King Wenceslas looked out
On the Feast of Stephen

When the snow lay round about
Deep and crisp and even
Brightly shone the moon that night
Though the frost was cruel
When a poor man came in sight
Gathering winter fuel
Hither, page, and stand by me,
If thou knowst it, telling
Yonder peasant, who is he?
Where and what his dwelling?
Sire, he lives a good league hence,
Underneath the mountain
Right against the forest fence
By Saint Agnes fountain.
Bring me flesh and bring me wine
Bring me pine logs hither
Thou and I shall see him dine
When we bear them thither.
Page and monarch, forth they went
Forth they went together
Through the rude winds wild lament
And the bitter weather
Sire, the night is darker now
And the wind blows stronger
Fails my heart, I know not how
I can go no longer.
Mark my footsteps, good my page
Tread thou in them boldly
Thou shall find the winters rage
Freeze thy blood less coldly.
In his masters step he trod
Where the snow lay dinted
Heat was in the very sod
Which the Saint had printed
Therefore, Christian men, be sure
Wealth or rank possessing
Ye, who now will bless the poor
Shall yourselves find blessing.

Matthew 25:40

Christe Eleison

Good King Wenceslaus - Clamavi De Profundis

Happy Feast of Saint King Wenceslaus to ALL!  :pray1:

Especially to our friends in the Czech Republic, Europe, and of course to the forum member by the same name! :thumbsup:
May Saint King Wenceslaus, Pray for us!  :pray3:

MATTHEW 25-40

Christe Eleison

Good King Wenceslas & Christ the King

Most of us are very familiar with the Christmas carol, Good King Wenceslas. This beautiful and instructive hymn recounts an actual event in the life of this Duke of Bohemia and martyr. Good King Wenceslas was and is a great example of what a true Christian ruler ought to be. He sought to relieve human suffering and to save the souls of his subjects. On this great Feast of Christ the King, Holy Church provides for us a liturgy which, as Pope Pius XI insists, will remind nations "that not only private individuals but also rulers and princes are bound to give public honor and obedience to Christ." Those people who acknowledge the Lord as King will be blessed, while those who do not will be cursed. As Cardinal Pie once stated: "Christ the King will reign; and if He does not reign by the benefits inseparable from His presence, He will reign by calamities inseparable from His absence."

Please pray 3 Hail Mary's for the priest in this sermon.

God Bless you!

:pray3:

MATTHEW 25-40

Christe Eleison

This short video gives a lot of the background, history, trivia behind the poem & the Christmas Carol itself, which was written in Honor of Saint King Wenslaus.
Beautiful pictures!

Origins of The Good King Wenceslas Carol

Thanks to Michal Hruška (this guy is amazing and he went above and beyond) who actually scheduled a meeting at the Prague library and took pictures of the original Czech poem, we now have the original Czech version of the Good King Wenceslas poem by Vaclav A. Svoboda.

Bohemia (Czech: ?echy; German: Böhmen; Polish: Czechy; French: Bohême; Latin: Bohemia) is a region in the Czech Republic.

In a broader meaning, it often refers to the entire Czech territory, including Moravia and Czech Silesia, especially in historical contexts: the lands of the Bohemian Crown.

Bohemia was a kingdom in the Holy Roman Empire and subsequently a province in the Habsburgs' Austrian Empire.

It was bounded on the south by Upper and Lower Austria, on the west by Bavaria, on the north by Saxony and Lusatia, on the northeast by Silesia, and on the east by Moravia.
From 1918 to 1939 and from 1945 to 1992 it was part of Czechoslovakia; and, since 1993, it has formed much of the Czech Republic.

Bohemia has an area of 52,065 km2 (20,102 sq mi) and today is home to approximately 6.5 million of the Czech Republic's 10.5 million inhabitants. It is bordered by Germany to the west and northwest, Poland to the northeast, the historical region of Moravia to the east, and Austria to the south. Bohemia's borders are marked with mountain ranges such as the Bohemian Forest, the Ore Mountains, and the Krkonoše, the highest in the Sudeten mountain range.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May Saint King Wenslaus, PRAY FOR US!  :pray3:

MATTHEW 25-40

Christe Eleison

St. Wenceslaus (28 September) - Love Like Christ

His OWN mother & brother had this wonderful Saint killed! :'(

May Saint King Wenceslaus, Pray for us!  :pray3:

This is an excellent sermon that mentions family issues, whether it be due to your conversion from a protestant denomination, LDS, Islam, etc. Or if the vaccine issue has driven a wedge between family members. :pray1:

A couple of the comments:

"I used to think I had a backbiting & conniving family.  Not compared to this saint.  Thanks for giving me some perspective."

"A wonderful Father and Grandma yet having an evil mother . A inspiration to  dealing with difficult family members"
May God Bless you all! :pray3:

MATTHEW 25-40

drummerboy

Thank you for all this!  Being mostly Bohemian in descent I certainly appreciate it.  I did not know he brought Bohemia into the Latin Rite; I know Sts. Cyril and Methodious converted the Czechs originally, but never how they switched rites.  Wenceslaus should be considered a sort of second apostle to the Bohemians.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Christe Eleison

Quote from: drummerboy on September 29, 2021, 09:21:44 AM
Thank you for all this!  Being mostly Bohemian in descent I certainly appreciate it.  I did not know he brought Bohemia into the Latin Rite; I know Sts. Cyril and Methodious converted the Czechs originally, but never how they switched rites.  Wenceslaus should be considered a sort of second apostle to the Bohemians.

Dear Drummerboy, :seeya:

Thanks for your kind post! And you are welcome! I am glad that you enjoyed this information. :thumbsup:
I love this Saint! Originally I loved him because he reminded me of Christmas. And I just love the Christmas Season so very much!
Then, as I got to know him, his generosity, his personality, his FAITH, his kindness. I really grew to love him even more.

And there is so much more information out there on him. I just did not have the time to post it all. Because I was also trying to post some material on Saint Michael the Archangel.

Thank you for reading this & for appreciating this wonderful Saint!

May God Bless you & yours!
:pray3: