interesting purchase you made recently?

Started by diaduit, May 22, 2021, 03:47:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prayerful

A Kiwifarms commemoration of Chris Chan. The coins or rounds predate his more notorious charges against this presentday suspected Oedipus and Sonic sperg / eccentric.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Fleur-de-Lys

Prayerful

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on October 06, 2021, 07:30:24 AM
Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on September 29, 2021, 02:50:27 PM
I just ordered a new Mexican cookbook, Mely Martinez' The Mexican Home Kitchen: Traditional Home-Style Recipes That Capture the Flavors and Memories of Mexico.

This was disappointing. The recipes were very simple and bland. I ended up returning it.

I don't think I've ever returned a book. My thinking is it can just be left somewhere and forgotten about.

Got Divine Worship: Daily Office, Commonwealth Edition. Much of it is or seems like the Roman Office in English, familiar stuff. Much of the book is given over to Morning and Evening Lessons, RSV-CE.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Philip G.

So, I was planning on making this post about 6 months ago.  But, work and many other things prevented it.  Anyway, my dream guitar fell into my lap about 6-8 months ago.  I was really lucky to get it new, and at such a good price(I will never tell).  It is made in mexico, and is considered one of the best estudio guitars in the world.  It is made by marlon/franisco navarro.  It is all solid wood, and a torres copy basically. 

I obviously wanted to make a video of the guitar so that others could view/hear it being played.  But, for such a special occasion, I decided I would have to learn a new song, and I chose Cancion del emprador by luis narvaez as the song.  It is inspired/adapted from the chant mille regretz by josquin des pres.  Enjoy!

For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

Heinrich

I bought a CVA inline muzzleloading rifle for deer hunting.

[yt][/yt]
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

queen.saints

Quote from: Philip G. on October 16, 2021, 04:40:21 PM
So, I was planning on making this post about 6 months ago.  But, work and many other things prevented it.  Anyway, my dream guitar fell into my lap about 6-8 months ago.  I was really lucky to get it new, and at such a good price(I will never tell).  It is made in mexico, and is considered one of the best estudio guitars in the world.  It is made by marlon/franisco navarro.  It is all solid wood, and a torres copy basically. 

I obviously wanted to make a video of the guitar so that others could view/hear it being played.  But, for such a special occasion, I decided I would have to learn a new song, and I chose Cancion del emprador by luis narvaez as the song.  It is inspired/adapted from the chant mille regretz by josquin des pres.  Enjoy!

Really lovely!
I am sorry for the times I have publicly criticized others on this forum, especially traditional Catholic religious, and any other scandalous posts and pray that no one reads or believes these false and ignorant statements.

Bernadette

A very rare Kathe Kruse Waldorf doll for my collection. Talk about falling into my lap! I wasn't even looking for her specifically. http://imgur.com/a/bFvWeDU I'll be interested to see how she compares to my other Waldorf dolls.
My Lord and my God.

Christe Eleison

Phillip, congratulations on finding such a nice guitar! :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing the videos with us.
How long have you been playing the guitar?

Lynne

Beautiful!
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Prayerful

Quote from: Heinrich on October 16, 2021, 06:29:05 PM
I bought a CVA inline muzzleloading rifle for deer hunting.

[yt][/yt]

What bullet grain weight would you generally use?

Got a 1951 St Mary, My Everyday Missal and Heritage by the Benedictine Abbot of Newark, Patrick O'Brien. Beautiful layout, compact, and it has a little Catholic history for every US state, or many.

Philip G.

Quote from: Christe Eleison on October 18, 2021, 02:56:04 PM
Phillip, congratulations on finding such a nice guitar! :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing the videos with us.
How long have you been playing the guitar?

I have been playing on and off for about 15 years.  I am not like most classical guitarists though.  I do not pluck/play with nails.  There are pros and cons to each method.  Next on my list is to get some traditional gut strings on this guitar, and go from there.  However, they are 10 times the price of normal strings.  But, being that I do not use nails, it is likely they will last a long time, unlike if you use nails. 
For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

Bernadette

An absolutely beautiful illustrated hardcover edition of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, from Reader's Digest. One of my absolute favorite books.
My Lord and my God.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Bernadette on October 20, 2021, 12:11:36 PM
An absolutely beautiful illustrated hardcover edition of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, from Reader's Digest. One of my absolute favorite books.
I looooovveee that book (and the movie).
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Bernadette

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on October 20, 2021, 01:08:15 PM
I have it on Kindle and Audible, but I wanted a hardcover copy, too.
My Lord and my God.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Bernadette on October 20, 2021, 01:57:11 PM
Quote from: maryslittlegarden on October 20, 2021, 01:08:15 PM
I have it on Kindle and Audible, but I wanted a hardcover copy, too.

I have a vintage (circa 1945ish) book edition that I got at a thrift shop. Old books are one of the things I collect.  I have oldish (1920s through 1940s) editions of Stella Dallas, Now Voyager, Random Harvest....... .
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace