New computer or update software?

Started by angelcookie, June 22, 2017, 12:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

angelcookie

I have an older desktop, running vista. Do I buy new software or a new computer? What to buy?

How to save pics without using cloud? Do I just transfer everything on a bunch of thumbdrives, or is there a better way?

Kaesekopf

You could probably install Linux mint on there and get some performance boosts.

Also, you can buy an external hard drive for pretty cheap, and theyre good for backups.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Akavit

Be sure to check hardware specs before installing a new operating system.  Old computers may not run the latest operating systems.  If you want a quick and cheap performance boost, a drive reformat and a clean install of Vista will probably improve performance noticeably.

What are you doing with the computer?  If you're not doing demanding tasks like 3D modeling, video editing, architectural CAD or the latest games, it's doubtful that you'd see a major benefit from a new computer.

Jacob

There are a lot of Linux distributions that are geared towards older machines.  My brother's computer is a ten year old Dell machine that runs Vista and I am thinking something like Lubuntu for it.

Lubuntu's requirements:
512 MHz processor or faster, 32 or 64 bits;
512 MB of RAM;
6 GB hard drive;
no fancy graphics.
1 GB of RAM is recommended.

More info and comparisons:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_Linux_distribution
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson