Stand mixer

Started by MundaCorMeum, May 16, 2020, 11:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MundaCorMeum

I'm looking to invest in a stand mixer that can handle several loaves of bread dough.  Any recommendations? 

Gardener

Look at a small industrial one. Won't be Home and Garden cover worthy, but its motor will be stronger.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Lynne

Kitchen Aid $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$  ::)
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Bernadette

We've got a kitchenaid that's at least 30 years old, and weighs about 35 pounds. Thing's built like a tank. I've made 2 loaves of bread in it at a time, but that's probably the limit.
My Lord and my God.

Gardener

Home-use marketed Kitchen aids have gone down in quality, and aren't suited to that much strain on the gears for the resistance that a lot of dough will give.

The more commercial ones are better quality.

I have a gourmand friend who has commented several times on how kitchen aids aren't all they are cracked up to be for heavy use.

My wife recommends just mixing by hand due to being able to really feel it.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

MundaCorMeum

I've been mixing by hand for the last 17 years. It's my favorite method, honestly.  I'd rather do it that way;  just don't always have the time anymore, especially whenever I have a nursling around. Plus, as much as it pains me to admit it, my joints could use the break (I'm also a knitter, so between holding babies, kneading bread, and knitting....they hurt more these days). So, I need something with a metal housing, high wattage motor, and strong gears (I bake ALOT of bread.... sometimes daily) for those days I just can't get to mixing by hand.

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Bernadette on May 16, 2020, 05:23:17 PM
We've got a kitchenaid that's at least 30 years old, and weighs about 35 pounds. Thing's built like a tank. I've made 2 loaves of bread in it at a time, but that's probably the limit.

Sounds like a great machine!

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Lynne on May 16, 2020, 04:42:45 PM

Indeed....which is why I'm hoping to find another brand that is better quality and lower cost.  From what I read, the Cuisinart 7.5 qt. mixer is pretty good.  I'm looking at those, but if I can find an off brand that performs just as well, I'd go that route for less cost.  I'm also trying to limit to Amazon, because I am saving my points up to get it for "free".   

ETA: also, the less digital features the better.  Easier to repair, if need be

The Curt Jester

The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

coffeeandcigarette

Quote from: MundaCorMeum on May 16, 2020, 06:52:48 PM
Quote from: Lynne on May 16, 2020, 04:42:45 PM

Indeed....which is why I'm hoping to find another brand that is better quality and lower cost.  From what I read, the Cuisinart 7.5 qt. mixer is pretty good.  I'm looking at those, but if I can find an off brand that performs just as well, I'd go that route for less cost.  I'm also trying to limit to Amazon, because I am saving my points up to get it for "free".   

ETA: also, the less digital features the better.  Easier to repair, if need be

Honestly, just buy the Kitchen Aid, but used. Do you know how many Martha Stewart wannabes get a Kitchen Aid for Christmas/Mother's Day every year and never use them? It is a joke. Every "pinterest" kitchen in the world has one, and most of them just sit there collecting dust. You can even get the large bowl-lift 7 qt ones from overly ambition housewives. I would save your pennies, and watch craigslist/ebay (nearby so you can pick it up). You could also let your entire extended family know that this is what you would like and maybe they could all pool for Christmas. My family likes knowing if there is something big we are saving for (piano, kitchen aid, fancy double stroller) and they send cash for birthdays/Christmas/etc. I will say that I don't think there is another brand that is equal in value but cheaper. Why do so many professional bakers use KA? Why do they even sell them very successfully in Europe when they have there own K-Mix brand? Because KA is just better. You are also going to have this thing for 30 years. Divide the cost by the number of times you will use it, and I think you'll see you should get the best one you possibly can.

clau clau

The European equivalent would be a Kenwood Chef.  You need to get an old model though. The modern ones are made in China and they are junk.

I have about 3. I buy old broken ones and fix the electronics. They are good as new with a few resistors, capacitors and the odd triac.

Edit: Frank will be along soon with a comment about Hobart mixers ...    :D
Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

Frank

Quote from: clau clau on May 17, 2020, 01:26:58 AM
The European equivalent would be a Kenwood Chef.  You need to get an old model though. The modern ones are made in China and they are junk.

I have about 3. I buy old broken ones and fix the electronics. They are good as new with a few resistors, capacitors and the odd triac.

Edit: Frank will be along soon with a comment about Hobart mixers ...    :D

How on earth did you remember that. It must be telepathy because I am indeed along with a
quote about the Hobart Mixer.

We use one in the Soil Mechanics Division of the Road Research Lab in the 1950's for mixing heavy
clays with cement.  I even managed a reference to my first conference paper on the work.

Highway Research Record - Issue 36 - Page 71books.google.co.uk › books

Grimer, F. J., and Ross, N. F. , "The Effect of Pulverization on the Quality of Clay-Cement." Proc. 4th Internat. Soil Mech. Conf. , 2: ... Grimer, F. J. , "Studies of Factors Affecting the Strength of Cement-Stabilized Materials. " Dept. of Scientific and ...
1963 - ?Snippet view - ?More editions

They must have been good mixers since you can still buy them on Amazon. 😎

in principio erat Verbum et Verbum erat apud Deum et Deus erat Verbum
hoc erat in principio apud Deum
omnia per ipsum facta sunt et sine ipso factum est nihil quod factum est

Padraig

Cooks Illustrated agrees with the people here who favor Kitchen Aid.

[yt][/yt]

Lynne

Quote from: Padraig on May 17, 2020, 07:19:37 AM
Cooks Illustrated agrees with the people here who favor Kitchen Aid.

[yt][/yt]

That was very interesting, thank you!
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Maximilian

Quote from: Frank on May 17, 2020, 06:14:01 AM

How on earth did you remember that. It must be telepathy because I am indeed along with a
quote about the Hobart Mixer.

They must have been good mixers since you can still buy them on Amazon. 😎

Hobart originally made the KitchenAid mixers. Hobart sold the home division to KitchenAid and focused only on making mixers for restaurants and bakeries. After Hobart sold them, at some point KitchenAid reduced the quality of the product. However, they're still pretty good. Probably the best for home use. Just not industrial quality like they used to be.