The Paraklesis of the Most Holy Theotokos

Started by aquinas138, August 02, 2016, 09:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aquinas138

In the Byzantine Rite, August 1-14 is the Dormition Fast, one of the three Lesser Lents. On each day of this two weeks, besides Saturday evening and the evening of August 5 (because of the Holy Transfiguration), a special service of supplication to the Mother of God is appointed. The central element of the service is the Canon of Supplication to the Theotokos; after that lengthy hymn and the magnification "It is truly proper," a series of hymns called megalynaria are chanted. While these are being chanted, the clergy incense the entire Church and the people. These megalynaria vary a bit across traditions; the following is the version chanted in the Byzantine Catholic Church:

QuoteIt is truly proper to glorify you, * O Theotokos, * the ever-blessed, immaculate and the Mother of our God. * More honorable than the Cherubim and beyond compare more glorious than the Seraphim; * who, a virgin, gave birth to God the Word, * you, truly the Theotokos, we magnify.

O Gracious Lady, * you pray for all who with faith take refuge * in your powerful protection, * for we sinners, ever in affliction and misery, have no other recourse to God; * we are burdened with many sins, Mother of God on high. * Therefore, we prostrate ourselves before you: * save your servants from all calamities.

O joy of all who are troubled, * patroness of the persecuted and sustainer of the hungry, * consoler of wanderers, * harbor of the storm-tossed, visitor of all the sick, * Protectress * and patroness of the weak, staff of the aged, * O Mother of God on high, you are most pure, * hasten, we pray, that your servants may be saved.

Rejoice, Virgin most pure, * honored scepter of Christ the King! * Rejoice, from you the mystical Vine sprouted! * Rejoice, gate of heaven and unburnt bush! * Rejoice light of the world! Rejoice, joy of all! * Rejoice, salvation of the faithful! * Rejoice, Protectress and refuge of all Christians! Rejoice, O Lady!

Rejoice, glory of the whole world! * Rejoice, temple of the Lord! Rejoice, overshadowed mountain! * Rejoice, refuge of all! * Rejoice, golden candelabra! * Rejoice, precious glory of true believers! * Rejoice, Mary, Mother of Christ our God! * Rejoice, paradise! Rejoice, divine altar! * Rejoice, entryway! Rejoice, all-golden hand! Rejoice, hope of all!

Let us sing the praise * of the Virgin more lofty than heaven * and more pure than the shining stars. * Let us praise, O faithful, the Queen of all creation * who has delivered us from our ancestral curse.

My whole body ails, * and my soul is sick because of my evil deeds * and the multitude of my sins. * To you I come for shelter, O Mary, full of grace. * O hope of the hopeless, help me and save me.

O Lady * and Mother of the Savior, * receive now the humble prayers * of your poor, unworthy servants. * Intercede, we beg you, * before your Son, our Savior, * and be our Mediatrix, Queen of the universe.

O Mother of God, * worthy of all praise, we sing this hymn to you * and exalt you with joyful voice. * Pray the Forerunner and all the saints together * that your Son, our Redeemer, may have mercy on us.

All you ranks * and orders of the angels, * and you, holy Forerunner, * with the twelve apostles of Christ, and you, holy martyrs, * with the Theotokos, * pray eagerly to the Savior that he may save our souls.
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.

Kaesekopf

Very neat!  Thanks for posting this! 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

LausTibiChriste

The Eastern Rites (specifically of the Byzantine flavour) are so cool.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie