Muhammad: A Mercy to the Worlds?

Started by Vetus Ordo, June 17, 2019, 01:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gardener

Who is to say that Maliki is better than Hanafi or Shafi'i, etc?

And who is to say that any Sunni madhhab is better than any Shi'a?

Why not the Ibadi, for that matter?

Iran has plenty of men who are sayyid, yet they are most certainly not Sunni, and the Sunni would look down on them for incorrect fiqh, and might even accuse them of shirk for images of Ali, etc.

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Gardener on July 04, 2019, 12:56:25 PM
Who is to say that Maliki is better than Hanafi or Shafi'i, etc?

No-one, they're all equally valid in Sunni theology.

Quote from: Gardener on July 04, 2019, 12:56:25 PM
And who is to say that any Sunni madhhab is better than any Shi'a?

Sunni Islam is the predominant form of Islam in the world (about 85% to 90% of the world's Muslims), so this is where you naturally focus your attention on.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Gardener

I dunno man, I have a soft spot for the Twelver's, as I was in Samarra for my first tour and used to drive by the shrine for the "hidden imam" a lot. I actually have the major architecture of Samarra tattooed on my right arm. I'll take a pic when I get a chance and send it to you via PM if you want to see it.

And then on my second tour, we used to drive by the Abu Hanifa mosque when in that neighborhood.

My preference is Shi'a Sufi poetry more than the minute details of fiqh, be that Sunni or Shi'a.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Gardener on July 04, 2019, 01:13:34 PMI dunno man, I have a soft spot for the Twelver's, as I was in Samarra for my first tour and used to drive by the shrine for the "hidden imam" a lot. I actually have the major architecture of Samarra tattooed on my right arm. I'll take a pic when I get a chance and send it to you via PM if you want to see it.

Sure, Gardener. It sounds nice.

Quote from: Gardener on July 04, 2019, 01:13:34 PM
My preference is Shi'a Sufi poetry more than the minute details of fiqh, be that Sunni or Shi'a.

Shia Islam is interesting in its own right. I'm focusing on Sunni simply because it is, and has always been, statistically far more representative and powerful.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

martin88nyc

Vetus Ordo, what do you mean by The Way? What religion do you subscribe to?
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: martin88nyc on July 04, 2019, 01:59:54 PM

"But this I confess to you, that according to the Way, which they call a sect, I worship the God of our fathers, believing everything laid down by the Law and written in the Prophets." (Acts 24:14)

Vetus Ordo

Here's another excellent lecture that touches on a fundamental point of Islamic theology with many ramifications to everyday life: rida which means the acceptance, satisfaction or perfect contentment with God's will or decree. There are some very interesting insights shared by British Sunni scholar and Sufi master Sheikh Abdal Hakim Murad that I feel are also applicable to Christianity.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxi8lJXqLP8[/yt]

Kreuzritter

Quote... without which religion is a kidn of DIY exercise ...

Like it was for Mahomet?

Vetus Ordo

From the beginning, our Prophet Muhammad (salla Allahu alayhi wa sallam) was accused of many things. "A mad man!" they called him, or a liar, or deluded and possessed, perhaps a deceitful sorcerer! Yet, his followers continued to grow, and his opponents dwindled even as they increased in their exasperation and frustration. His image and his legacy has constantly been smeared throughout history, but until today his teachings bring about peace to billions around the globe, and his followers increase day-by-day.

Was he a liar? Was he deluded? Was he really a fraud? Or was he truly the Messenger of God sent as a mercy to mankind? Join Shaykh Dr. Yasir Qadhi? as he academically and unabashedly deals with the most controversial allegations on Muhammad: Fraud or Messenger of God!

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0RynPuaxms[/yt]

mikemac

So Vetus Abdul, are you proselytizing for Islam in this thread?  Serious question.

You have posted 6 videos in this thread, roughly an hour long each that explains Islam.  If that is not proselytizing for Islam I don't know what is.

As if anyone around here would want to waste 6 hours listening to mullahs explain a false religion.
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

Kreuzritter

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on July 04, 2019, 02:03:39 PM
Quote from: martin88nyc on July 04, 2019, 01:59:54 PM

"But this I confess to you, that according to the Way, which they call a sect, I worship the God of our fathers, believing everything laid down by the Law and written in the Prophets." (Acts 24:14)

The inevitable non-answer.

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on July 10, 2019, 06:26:29 PM
Was he a liar? Was he deluded? Was he really a fraud? Or was he truly the Messenger of God sent as a mercy to mankind? Join Shaykh Dr. Yasir Qadhi? as he academically and unabashedly deals with the most controversial allegations on Muhammad: Fraud or Messenger of God!

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0RynPuaxms[/yt]

A genuine messenger of the god of this world.

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: mikemac on July 10, 2019, 09:28:17 PM
If that is not proselytizing for Islam I don't know what is.

You should consult the entry in the dictionary where proselytism is defined. That might help.

These videos help you understand Islam straight from the horse's mouth. They help you avoid bearing false witness about what Muslims believe, explaining what and how they believe from their own perspective and sources. And if you know and understand them better, you can love them better.

Quote from: mikemac on July 10, 2019, 09:28:17 PMAs if anyone around here would want to waste 6 hours listening to mullahs explain a false religion.

Zelus sine scientia est ignis sine lumine.

Gardener

Quote from: Gardener on July 04, 2019, 01:13:34 PM
I dunno man, I have a soft spot for the Twelver's, as I was in Samarra for my first tour and used to drive by the shrine for the "hidden imam" a lot. I actually have the major architecture of Samarra tattooed on my right arm. I'll take a pic when I get a chance and send it to you via PM if you want to see it.

And then on my second tour, we used to drive by the Abu Hanifa mosque when in that neighborhood.

Pics attached.

Images include Al-Malwiya (Spiral Minaret), the Great Mosque of Samarra, the cemetery, the Al-Askari shrine, its minarets and its side cupola (the blue dome); the mosaic work has faded on that one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samarra
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Mosque_of_Samarra
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Askari_Shrine

NB: For those who might be scandalized, when I got this tattoo I was not Catholic. I have not received any tattoos since I was 22, over 6 years before I began the process of conversion.

Miriam_M

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on July 11, 2019, 09:52:09 AM
Quote from: mikemac on July 10, 2019, 09:28:17 PM
If that is not proselytizing for Islam I don't know what is.

You should consult the entry in the dictionary where proselytism is defined. That might help.

These videos help you understand Islam straight from the horse's mouth. They help you avoid bearing false witness about what Muslims believe, explaining what and how they believe from their own perspective and sources. And if you know and understand them better, you can love them better.

Quote from: mikemac on July 10, 2019, 09:28:17 PMAs if anyone around here would want to waste 6 hours listening to mullahs explain a false religion.

Zelus sine scientia est ignis sine lumine.

What Muslims "believe":

Show us where they believe in a Trinitarian God.  De Fide Catholic dogma is that the Godhead is indivisible.  One cannot know the Father without knowing the Son.  The Gospel of John (Jesus' own words) might help refresh your memory on that one, keeping in mind that all Catholic doctrine is based on Revelation, and the primary source for Revelation is the Word of God, doubly understood:  the Scriptures and the Second Person of the Blessed Trinity, who is Truth and who is co-equal with the Father. Jesus Christ -- not a mere "respected prophet" -- IS the revealed word of God. 

It's the same problem Jews have, actually.  They worship a Father without His Son.  And they revere and follow one part as well as one-half of the Word:  certain books of Scripture which the Catholic Church also reveres and follows. 

The written and oral words of Muslims are not revelation, and the Church need not consider Catholicism "in light of" Islam.
For Jews, their limited understanding of the Torah -- limited in that it lacks the fulfillment of the prophecies, assuming they have yet to be fulfilled -- is an interpretation that distorts the Fatherhood of God.

Muslims are theists.  Better than being an atheist, and maybe the devout ones are actually more theistic than many bishops, cardinals, and the current pope -- but in that case, maybe they could get busy converting the Catholic hierarchy into theism from practical atheism.  Just a thought.

But convicted lay trads on a Catholic discussion forum probably don't need to learn how to be theists, from Muslims.

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Miriam_M on July 11, 2019, 12:04:48 PM
What Muslims "believe":

Show us where they believe in a Trinitarian God.

Non sequitur.

Quote from: Miriam_M on July 11, 2019, 12:04:48 PM
But convicted lay trads on a Catholic discussion forum probably don't need to learn how to be theists, from Muslims.

While you may not be interested in understanding Islam, there are others here who might be interested.

Let them benefit from the thread and the videos.