"Faith which Worketh by Love": Justification in Shakespeare's Hamlet

Started by Geremia, June 26, 2014, 04:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geremia

FaithByProxy

This looks very interesting. Thanks so much for posting it, Geremia!
Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us.

Geremia

Quote from: FaithByProxy on June 26, 2014, 05:11:20 PM
This looks very interesting. Thanks so much for posting it, Geremia!
Yes, if you're a fan of Joseph Pearce, who analyzes the Catholicity of the works of Shakespeare and Tolkein, you'll really like Mr. Kalb's analysis of Hamlet.

Dom Passerini

He gave me a hard copy of this months ago, and I just started reading Hamlet in preparation for reading his study.
a sparrow all alone on the housetop

Chestertonian

"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Bernadette

I had a literature professor who analyzed Shakespeare's works from a Catholic perspective. I wish now that I had recorded his lectures: they were amazing!  :)
My Lord and my God.

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Dom Passerini

Quote from: Bernadette on June 27, 2014, 07:44:54 PM
I had a literature professor who analyzed Shakespeare's works from a Catholic perspective. I wish now that I had recorded his lectures: they were amazing!  :)

From wikipedia: The names "Arthurus Stratfordus Wigomniensis" and "Gulielmus Clerkue Stratfordiensis" are found within ancient inscriptions at the Venerable English College, a seminary in Rome which has long trained Catholic clergy serving in Britain. Scholars have speculated that these names might be related to Shakespeare, who is alleged to have visited the city of Rome twice during his life.
a sparrow all alone on the housetop

Heinrich

Quote from: Geremia on June 28, 2014, 08:09:06 PM
Quote from: Heinrich on June 27, 2014, 09:35:50 PM
I am a committed anti-Stratfordian.
Why?

There is no way a merchant with no education could have produced the works attributed to him. And I have felt this way long before that movie came out. This is not project of mine, but what cursory evidence I do know leads me to my conclusion.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Bernadette

Quote from: Heinrich on June 30, 2014, 04:45:13 PM
Quote from: Geremia on June 28, 2014, 08:09:06 PM
Quote from: Heinrich on June 27, 2014, 09:35:50 PM
I am a committed anti-Stratfordian.
Why?

There is no way a merchant with no education could have produced the works attributed to him. And I have felt this way long before that movie came out. This is not project of mine, but what cursory evidence I do know leads me to my conclusion.

I don't care who wrote them, since we'll probably never know for sure. I jst enjoy reading (and watching) the plays.  :shrug:
My Lord and my God.

Geremia

Quote from: Heinrich on June 30, 2014, 04:45:13 PMThere is no way a merchant with no education could have produced the works attributed to him.
He was a merchant with no education?

Heinrich

Quote from: Geremia on June 30, 2014, 11:44:02 PM
Quote from: Heinrich on June 30, 2014, 04:45:13 PMThere is no way a merchant with no education could have produced the works attributed to him.
He was a merchant with no education?

OK to be fair he was the son of a man who had various jobs, one of which, I believe was a grain merchant. He grew up as a peasant, albeit middle class. He did not attend any institution of higher education.

Geremia

Quote from: Heinrich on July 01, 2014, 11:38:27 AMOK to be fair he was the son of a man who had various jobs, one of which, I believe was a grain merchant. He grew up as a peasant, albeit middle class. He did not attend any institution of higher education.
Reminds me of the Italian poet Giacomo Leopardi. He was the son of a rich man who had a huge library. That's all he needed.