Canelo vs Jacobs.

Started by MeanGene, May 04, 2019, 07:39:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeanGene

I probably won't be able to catch it, but I thought I'd throw out a few random thoughts on the upcoming middleweight unification bout.

Jacobs is a very good technical boxer with enough power in both hands to keep any middleweight honest. He also happens to be a very big middleweight and will have significant advantages in reach and height against his Mexican counterpart. Despite having the skills to keep Canelo on the end of his jab and nullified with lateral movement, the chances of Jacobs winning a decision against Canelo in Vegas are slim to none. That's not fair, but the politics of boxing never are whether we like it or not. Jacobs will have to do a bit more and perhaps can get Canelo to overcommit and walk in to a right hand. Canelo's chin is stellar, but any man can go down if hit right.

For Canelo's part it's fair to say that he's developed into quite the superb boxer puncher. He uses compact, shuffling footwork and deft upper body movement ala the great Jose Napoles to move forward against bigger opponents while also maintaining his defense. He's a vicious body puncher and his very adept at setting traps and manipulating his opponents guard.  Not to mention the fact that he has a sneaky ability to out jab taller boxers. The reach disadvantage may play into his hands and allow him to get inside and work the body. I also suspect he'll try and set up Jacobs for a big shot in the middle rounds by jabbing to the body and then attacking the opening it creates upstairs with a looping right (a shot that's often very effective against taller boxers.)

I want Jacobs to win because it would be good for boxing and everyone involved. That said I suspect Canelo will steadily wear Jacobs done via the body and score a TKO in round 11. I'll check back later to see if I was anywhere near correct.
The contemplative is not one who discovers secrets no one knows, but one who is swept into ecstasy by what everyone knows.
-A Carthusian

MeanGene

And....I was wrong. Canelo by unanimous decision 116-112, 115-113, 115-113. Canelo's just too consistent and too near his peak to be outdone by anything, but an exceptional performance. Danny seemed to get frustrated after about three rounds and then spent much of the fight switching to southpaw, vainly searching for an answer. He probably would have been better served by just sticking to his jab and not trying to out "cute" himself.
The contemplative is not one who discovers secrets no one knows, but one who is swept into ecstasy by what everyone knows.
-A Carthusian

Heinrich

Thanks for this, Mean. I was busy with things and was unable to follow this. As far as Canelo goes, I am firmly in the camp wherein I really don't like him. It is definitely political. He got beat by GGG twice, but was awarded for being Mexican. Professional boxing is crooked as cat crap, but it sure is an elegant, brutal at times, bloody ballet.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Josephine87

Quote from: Heinrich on May 05, 2019, 01:06:22 PM
Thanks for this, Mean. I was busy with things and was unable to follow this. As far as Canelo goes, I am firmly in the camp wherein I really don't like him. It is definitely political. He got beat by GGG twice, but was awarded for being Mexican. Professional boxing is crooked as cat crap, but it sure is an elegant, brutal at times, bloody ballet.

He's also good looking  :swoon:
"Begin again." -St. Teresa of Avila

"My present trial seems to me a somewhat painful one, and I have the humiliation of knowing how badly I bore it at first. I now want to accept and to carry this little cross joyfully, to carry it silently, with a smile in my heart and on my lips, in union with the Cross of Christ. My God, blessed be Thou; accept from me each day the embarrassment, inconvenience, and pain this misery causes me. May it become a prayer and an act of reparation." -Elisabeth Leseur