Previous topic - Next topic

Chestertonian

What are you thankful for?

I'll start..

Being Catholic... Not being a pagan or a heathen

My wife & 2 boys. 

Playing chess with my son

Being home
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Heinrich

Yes. Thankful for the Faith. Without it, there is darkness, frigid ugliness. Ave Maria!

Thankful to live in Colorado. 

Nice thread, Steinbrenner.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

martin88nyc

Thankful for my parents, new friends and benefactors
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Gardener

All of the above and probably the below.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Michael Wilson

The Faith, peace of soul, a happy united family; health; a nice home so I don't have to sleep out on the street like so many unfortunate people. A nice job; gosh I could go on and on.
Happy Thanksgiving!
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Gardener

Quote from: Heinrich on November 22, 2018, 11:16:08 AM
Yes. Thankful for the Faith. Without it, there is darkness, frigid ugliness. Ave Maria!

Thankful to live in Colorado. 

Nice thread, Steinbrenner.

Fun fact: George Steinbrenner wasn't Jewish, despite many people thinking that. He was a German-Irish mix from Ohio who'd made it big in the shipbuilding industry.

QuoteA few months after George Steinbrenner took over as the Yankees' principal owner in January 1973, Ron Blomberg met his new boss for the first time. Blomberg knew nothing about Steinbrenner, but he thought he did.

"I thought he was Jewish," Blomberg said. "Steinbrenner. I said, 'I got this thing made.' I mean, this is great. Jewish ownership. New York. He'll let me do anything."

A slight pause.

"Then I found out he wasn't Jewish."
https://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/18/sports/baseball/18yankees.html
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Heinrich

Right. From Rocky River, Ohio. Demographically a Cheyenne Mountain type neighborhood. Except they have a burning lake as a backdrop. West side of Cleveland. The Jews live east. Chest, you a Yankees fan?
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Carleendiane

What am I thankful for?

Being Catholic,
The rosary,
OLF,
TLM,
My children being sacramental,
Their children....my delightful grandchildren,
My loyal husband,
My few, but true friends,
My guardian angel,
Scapular,
My brothers deathbed conversion,
God's Divine providence,
My eyes and ears,
My son's recovery,
The privilege to serve my father,
My dog,
Coffee,
Potato juice ;),
Hair dye ;),
A warm home,
Wool socks,
Recovery from terrible health issues....not full, but good enough, and Chestertonian who provides perspective,
My life, such as it is,
Confession and absolution,
Music and art,
The hope of heaven,
Grace.
Amen
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Carleendiane

I am grateful for the Chist Child. Oh, yes, He is wonderful. Yes.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Christina_S

For God giving me a wonderful fiance, who puts up with my tears and impatience and temper with such grace and love.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

Michael Wilson

Quote from: Christina_S on January 07, 2019, 03:16:55 PM
For God giving me a wonderful fiance, who puts up with my tears and impatience and temper with such grace and love.
He's probably the reason that you are shedding tears, being impatient and losing your temper. Time to get rid of him.  :laugh:
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Miriam_M

Fabulous upbringing in Traditional Catholicism.

Having had the gift of marriage.

The gift of children.

The gift of "a saint" in one of those children; her continued friendship, affection, practical help, and filial piety.

My parents:  who they were, what they gave me in cultural enrichment and respect for cultural tradition.

The United States Navy:  what it gave my father as a career officer, what it gave us as an officer's  family.

My K-12 and college education.

My secondary vocation.

My amazing trad priest and all the graces he brings to us, his flock.

My physical health.

My lifelong friends.

Having siblings, as imperfect as we all are.  (They can come in handy.)

Non Nobis

I'm thankful to God for drawing to this forum Catholics who share a love of true Catholic tradition, and (especially collectively) have much knowledge, wisdom, and experience with living (and struggling to live) a good Catholic life.

That's what first came to mind since I am posting here now, but these also come to mind:

The creation of the world (and being in it)
Being human (able to get the greatest good out of it)
God's love
Being Redeemed
Hope for Salvation
Christ (God taking on Human nature, and dying for us)
Mary, His Mother
Grace
The Church
The Sacraments
Christmas
Easter
The Communion of Saints (heaven and earth)
There being a Church before Vatican II (reliable source of truth and knowing the Church)
Being born in a traditional Catholic family
Sticking to my faith
Particular saints (St. Joseph, St. Terese and on and on, and yes I'm fond of St. Thomas)
SSPX, the Ukrainian Catholic Church, and all traditional Catholic priests
Answers to prayers
A good walk
A good college (Yes, Thomas Aquinas College)
My parents, RIP
My siblings, in-laws, and children
Friends
A good job, and enough to retire early.
Classical Music
My health
Kindle (for books  ;))
My little condo
My cat (meow; couldn't leave her out)

And so much more
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Christina_S

Quote from: Michael Wilson on January 07, 2019, 05:40:51 PM
Quote from: Christina_S on January 07, 2019, 03:16:55 PM
He's probably the reason that you are shedding tears, being impatient and losing your temper. Time to get rid of him.  :laugh:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

MilesChristi

The graces I have received throughout my life (baptism, confirmation, faith, hope, and charity).
The Family, Friends, and others who have helped me in the Faith or otherwise pushed me towards grace.
Family and friends in general
and a private reason
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.