To what are you currently listening?

Started by Bonaventure, December 26, 2012, 09:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisIX

Quote from: Pon de Replay on August 22, 2014, 09:45:26 PM
New Jersey is actually a lot like that music video I posted.  New Jersey has a bizarre kind of appeal.  Like halfway through the video when that beautiful girl takes off her shoes and pads barefoot onto the floor and just breaks out into a spaz of wild interpretive dance moves and the band keeps playing nonchalantly as if she isn't even there, like a ghost, and then a flurry of feathers start falling from the ceiling and the lamps go red; there's a kind of elusive and bizarre profundity to it.  A weird artistry.  That's New Jersey, but those who are not from New Jersey can never understand.  Everyone will say, "you're fat and stinky with bad breath and no date for the prom," but the reply is: "you fail.  Failure on you.  It's interpretive dance."  Like Nataraja, the Hindu god who is said to be dancing the universe.  New Jersey is the cosmic dancer.

You are Sufjan Stevens.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Mono no aware

LouisIX

IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Pius Papa Decimus

Pius P.P. X

Mono no aware

Quote from: LouisIX on August 23, 2014, 06:11:43 PM
Quote from: Pon de Replay on August 23, 2014, 05:38:29 PM
Quote from: LouisIX on August 23, 2014, 05:12:42 PMYou are Sufjan Stevens.

That's the worst insult I've ever received.

That's a silly thing to say.

I've seriously never been so insulted in my life.  But I'm from New Jersey.  I can roll with the punches.

Louis, who's this fellow in your new avatar?  My first guess was that it might be some handsome actor playing Nietzsche, but then I remembered that Nietzsche never smoked (or even drank coffee; he led an ascetic lifestyle).  The cigarette more or less rules that possibility out.  (Or is it more grammatically correct to say "rules out that possibility?"  Jayne would know).  Anyway the hair and the mustache and the penetrating stare are positively Nietzschean.  So who is it?

Gardener

Quote from: Pon de Replay on August 23, 2014, 06:19:11 PM

I've seriously never been so insulted in my life.  But I'm from New Jersey.  I can roll with the punches.

Louis, who's this fellow in your new avatar?  My first guess was that it might be some handsome actor playing Nietzsche, but then I remembered that Nietzsche never smoked (or even drank coffee; he led an ascetic lifestyle).  The cigarette more or less rules that possibility out.  (Or is it more grammatically correct to say "rules out that possibility?"  Jayne would know).  Anyway the hair and the mustache and the penetrating stare are positively Nietzschean.  So who is it?

Throwing its URL into tineye.com came up with a bunch of results, but one of those results was a page with a bunch of models. On that page was a Swedish model named Alex Lundqvist who looked similar. While I cannot find that exact image in a Google Image search of his name, there are other pictures which make me think it is him.

I'd guess it was a photo shoot for some clothing brand, if it is indeed Mr. Lundqvist.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Basilios

Quote from: Gardener on August 24, 2014, 12:05:19 AM

Throwing its URL into tineye.com came up with a bunch of results, but one of those results was a page with a bunch of models. On that page was a Swedish model named Alex Lundqvist who looked similar. While I cannot find that exact image in a Google Image search of his name, there are other pictures which make me think it is him.

I'd guess it was a photo shoot for some clothing brand, if it is indeed Mr. Lundqvist.

The name of this chap is:

Francois Verkerk
Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth: and a door round about my lips. Incline not my heart to evil words.

Gardener

Quote from: Basilios on August 24, 2014, 12:15:27 AM
Quote from: Gardener on August 24, 2014, 12:05:19 AM

The name of this chap is:

Francois Verkerk

Kudos! Who knew black and white gives gingers souls?!

But wow... he and Alex look similar...
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Chestertonian

"rules out that possibility" has a nicer flow to it.  some sticklers will say that you can never end a sentence with a preopotisontbut in this case, out is uses as an adverb so you could say "rules that possibility out" without violating that [dated] grammar rule.  however, adverbs really ought to stay close to their verbs

"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

zork

Stayed in Hackensack, NJ for a few days while visiting my brother in Manhattan. I liked New Jersey just fine.
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Chestertonian

Typical life cycle of the new Yorker...

- move to NYC from heaven knows where you came from.  Explore your identity.  Spend your 20s (maybe some of your 30s) working partying, you have 3 roommates.  Develop a bisexual phase.  take p yoga

- you've finished grad school and youre not completely broke so you say to your significant other something romantic like "hey,want to get an apartment in Brooklyn and split the rent?"

- after a few years of cohabitation you and your "partner" tie the knot and start a family.  Then the sticker shock of raising a family and buying a home in Brooklyn forces you to think of other places to live

- you settle down in someplace like Montclair because you r dollar goes further and you want good schools, a yard, etc.   
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

piabee

Angelorum

"All men naturally desire to know, but what does knowledge avail without the fear of God? Indeed an humble peasant, that serves God, is better than a proud philosopher, who neglecting himself, considers the course of the heavens." - Thomas à Kempis, Imitation of Christ

zork

Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.