Rosary necklace?

Started by Bernadette, October 09, 2021, 06:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaximGun

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on October 15, 2021, 12:17:43 PM
Is it just because Mexican gangstas and wanna-be fashionistas wear it a lot?

That would be my reason not to wear a Rosary.

I can't think of another reason other than scandal for people who saw it and thought I was being trivial with it.

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

Quote from: mikemac on October 15, 2021, 05:14:50 PM
I don't know for sure but I wouldn't doubt if that's the main reason.  Well and like I've said, being ashamed to show that we are Catholic.

I have a Latin Mass bumper sticker, so...it's not that.

Probably more the association with gangsters.
this page left intentionally blank

MundaCorMeum

I can see both sides of this coin.  Objectively, I would say wearing a Rosary out of devotion is not wrong in any way, shape, or form. Subjectively, it could  cause scandal for the reasons already mentioned.  However, I can very easily tell from context clues whether someone wearing a Rosary is doing so out of devotion vs. novelty or sacrilege....even on rearview mirrors sometimes (for example, a thug in a lowrider blaring rap music vs. a Mom in a van full of children).  Something tells me if I saw Bernadette walking down the street wearing her Rosary, I would assume devotion (I've never seen or met her IRL, either).

Lynne

I have a rosary hanging from my rearview mirror and after reading Michael's posts, I'm considering wearing the rosary.

(and yes, I pray it every day...except yesterday.  :( )
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Michael Wilson

I wanted to wear a Rosary around my neck since I was in college and I saw a Catholic student wearing one (this was in a Southern mostly Protestant University); but I was too embarrassed. Then some years latter a teenage daughter of one of my friends was wearing one, and I said to myself: "This little girl is 5'1 and weights about 110 lbs and she is not ashamed or embarrassed  to be known as a Catholic; and me the big man, am? I started wearing a Rosary from then on.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Lynne on October 16, 2021, 03:52:39 AM
I have a rosary hanging from my rearview mirror and after reading Michael's posts, I'm considering wearing the rosary.

(and yes, I pray it every day...except yesterday.  :( )

We have a decade Rosary hanging from ours.  I have a hard time wearing a scapular even, because my babies would always get wrapped up and tangled when I nurse.  I'm done nursing at the moment, but my toddler would probably still yank and tug on it.  Plus, just practically, I think it would get caught on things and whatnot.  So, I just stick with my miraculous and St. Benedict medal on a chain.  It seems to hold up best to wear and tear.