Tattoos

Started by St. Columba, January 07, 2019, 02:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gardener

I was talking about images. If an image is "unclean", then how can it enter the presence of God?

I haven't studied it deeply, but it's my understanding that the scars which are glorified in us would only be those which we received for Christ (a la the martyrs). Perhaps I'm wrong.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Traditionallyruralmom

I'm doing the hated thing of dragging up a post from years ago  :cheeseheadbeer:...I knew I'd chatted on one at some point, and sure enough, I was right.  I figured rather than start a new post...because someone would reference that we had already discussed this, id just drag this old post back out of the attic.

I am in my late 40's, have quite a passel of kiddos and am now the proud forever wearer of a self designed black line art piece on my upper arm that includes the Immaculate Heart,  the Chi Rho and Viva Christo Rey.
It can be easily concealed by my Trad Wife dress...but concealment is not my goal.  I'm considering it an evangelism piece in the wider hippie/ green world from which I am a convert of 20 years from..

Song of Solomon 8:6...Set me as a seal upon thine heart, as a seal upon thine arm.
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Melkor

Tattoos are really cool in my opinion. I was considering getting a sleeve and a chest piece, but I decided that it was ultimately vanity that was driving my wants. I had a co-worker who had a beautiful raven clutching a scroll on his forearm, and I always like that piece. I believe tattoos are wrong if motivated  by vanity. If your profession (sailor, soldier) or your ancestry (Norse, Celtic, Mexican etc) has a traditional use of tattoos ingrained, I think it is quite fine to get one for those reasons.   
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

andy

Different 1 minute long take from a Traditional priest

Traditionallyruralmom

I know the arguments against.  Believe me :D

What inspired me was the stories of the Bosnian and Croatian women and the Catholic practice there of Sicanje.

https://tattooartfromtheheart.com/blog/the-history-of-the-traditional-croatian-tattoos-and-forms-they-contain/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sicanje

You can flip through these and see pictures of old Babushkas and their stories
https://www.flickr.com/photos/57981868@N08/5374496663/in/photostream

The Curt Jester

I've never seen a tattoo that looks good on anybody.  Regardless of belief in whether or not they are moral, they are just plain ugly.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Traditionallyruralmom

Quote from: The Curt Jester on August 25, 2022, 08:50:16 AM
I've never seen a tattoo that looks good on anybody.  Regardless of belief in whether or not they are moral, they are just plain ugly.
we are all definitely entitled to our opinions  :)

edited to add....
Ive never seen a trad mom in a chevron maxi skirt that looks good.....but that's just my opinion that they are plain ugly ;D

Lynne

Quote from: Traditionallyruralmom on August 24, 2022, 09:03:24 PM
I'm doing the hated thing of dragging up a post from years ago  :cheeseheadbeer:...I knew I'd chatted on one at some point, and sure enough, I was right.  I figured rather than start a new post...because someone would reference that we had already discussed this, id just drag this old post back out of the attic.

I am in my late 40's, have quite a passel of kiddos and am now the proud forever wearer of a self designed black line art piece on my upper arm that includes the Immaculate Heart,  the Chi Rho and Viva Christo Rey.
It can be easily concealed by my Trad Wife dress...but concealment is not my goal.  I'm considering it an evangelism piece in the wider hippie/ green world from which I am a convert of 20 years from..

Song of Solomon 8:6...Set me as a seal upon thine heart, as a seal upon thine arm.

I'm not a fan of tattoos, but truthfully, I thought it was lovely.  (TRM and I are friends on FB).  :)

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

The Curt Jester

Quote from: Traditionallyruralmom on August 25, 2022, 10:37:33 AM
Ive never seen a trad mom in a chevron maxi skirt that looks good.....but that's just my opinion that they are plain ugly ;D

Improper comparison.  It's very easy to make a change of clothes.  Tattoos?  Not so much.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Maximilian

It can be easily concealed by my Trad Wife dress...but concealment is not my goal. 

Stick with concealment.

Traditionallyruralmom

Quote from: Maximilian on August 25, 2022, 04:40:01 PM
It can be easily concealed by my Trad Wife dress...but concealment is not my goal. 

Stick with concealment.

I'll be sure to follow my good husband's wishes on this  ;)

andy

Another thought: since our bodies are temples of Holy Ghost, do we really want to apply a permanent graffiti on them?

Maximilian

Quote from: Traditionallyruralmom on August 25, 2022, 04:48:53 PM

Stick with concealment.

First you bring it up in public and scandalize the traditional Catholics here. Then you play the husband card when someone doesn't agree with you.

So this was all your husband's idea, was it? Doesn't sound that way from your original post. No mention of him there.

Melkor

Quote from: Maximilian on August 25, 2022, 05:45:57 PM
Quote from: Traditionallyruralmom on August 25, 2022, 04:48:53 PM

Stick with concealment.

First you bring it up in public and scandalize the traditional Catholics here. Then you play the husband card when someone doesn't agree with you.

So this was all your husband's idea, was it? Doesn't sound that way from your original post. No mention of him there.

Man, trads are something else. Of all the things to be scandalized about in today's world, tattoos (especially modest tats) should be at the very bottom of the list.

I do agree however with Max somewhat; tattoos on women are kinda...meh. I mean, it seems somehow out of place on a Catholic woman raising children and being a homemaker for her husband. Not judging you, just my thoughts. Most women
I've seen who have tattoos are either slutty little things looking to draw more attention to their immodesty, or old and ugly prunes trying to look 30 years younger. A little different than the big, bearded ironworkers boasting sleeves, providing for their family.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ