Angelus Press 20% off. Two book recommendations for Catholic Trads

Started by Non Nobis, June 16, 2023, 06:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Non Nobis

Only today 6/16 "Father's Day" sale, promo code JUNE2023. https://angeluspress.org/

I ordered 2 books and a mantilla.

QuoteThe Life of St. Thomas

"This book was used as part of the canonization process for St. Thomas Aquinas. It is published in English for the first time in history by Angelus Press and translated by David Foley.

While most Catholics are familiar with the writings of St. Thomas Aquinas, little is known about the saint himself... until now. This insightful biography of St. Thomas Aquinas appears for the first time in English after its composition seven centuries ago. Its author, Brother William of Tocco, used his own contact with the saint and interviews with many who knew him to set down his life..."

I couldn't not get this book this about St. Thomas...

Also:

QuoteThe Mass of Brother Michel

Set in the tranquil countryside of southern France during the Reformation, is the story of a young man who "has it all"—until a fateful series of events leads him to a monastery. As Huguenot violence mounts, the characters of the story are pushed to extremes of hatred and love...

The reader is swept along by a narrative as twisting and turbulent as a mountain stream, which culminates in a sovereign sacrifice as unforgettable as it was unforeseen...

I had to get this novel too, because I read it years ago and loved it, and I was trying to find my copy in my Mom's house before she died (2015, RIP), with no luck.  It was only lately back in print.

More info about this old novel to entice traditionalists and lovers of good Catholic literature (found at https://amazingcatechists.com/2017/12/catholic-novel-inspires-entertains/):

QuoteThe Mass of Brother Michel, originally published in 1942 and reprinted in 2017 by Angelico Press, richly deserves to be counted as a spiritual classic on par with the works of Sigrid Undset, Michael O'Brien, and Evelyn Waugh. Kudos to the folks at Angelico for bringing this lost treasure to light and sharing it with the world.

Highly recommended for all who love the Catholic faith, especially the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist.

Given shipping costs,  Amazon would have saved me money over Angelus Press for "The Mass of Brother Michel".  Oh well, I support SPPX anyway. Amazon sure doesn't give provide me with the Mass.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Non Nobis

I found just 1 used/good copy of "The Mass of Brother Michel"on abebooks.com for $15, free shipping.  Published in 1961. FWIW
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Lynne

Quote from: Non Nobis on June 16, 2023, 06:17:16 PMOnly today 6/16 "Father's Day" sale, promo code JUNE2023. https://angeluspress.org/

I ordered 2 books and a mantilla.

QuoteThe Life of St. Thomas

"This book was used as part of the canonization process for St. Thomas Aquinas. It is published in English for the first time in history by Angelus Press and translated by David Foley.

While most Catholics are familiar with the writings of St. Thomas Aquinas, little is known about the saint himself... until now. This insightful biography of St. Thomas Aquinas appears for the first time in English after its composition seven centuries ago. Its author, Brother William of Tocco, used his own contact with the saint and interviews with many who knew him to set down his life..."

I couldn't not get this book this about St. Thomas...

Also:

QuoteThe Mass of Brother Michel

Set in the tranquil countryside of southern France during the Reformation, is the story of a young man who "has it all"—until a fateful series of events leads him to a monastery. As Huguenot violence mounts, the characters of the story are pushed to extremes of hatred and love...

The reader is swept along by a narrative as twisting and turbulent as a mountain stream, which culminates in a sovereign sacrifice as unforgettable as it was unforeseen...

I had to get this novel too, because I read it years ago and loved it, and I was trying to find my copy in my Mom's house before she died (2015, RIP), with no luck.  It was only lately back in print.

More info about this old novel to entice traditionalists and lovers of good Catholic literature (found at https://amazingcatechists.com/2017/12/catholic-novel-inspires-entertains/):

QuoteThe Mass of Brother Michel, originally published in 1942 and reprinted in 2017 by Angelico Press, richly deserves to be counted as a spiritual classic on par with the works of Sigrid Undset, Michael O'Brien, and Evelyn Waugh. Kudos to the folks at Angelico for bringing this lost treasure to light and sharing it with the world.

Highly recommended for all who love the Catholic faith, especially the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist.

Given shipping costs,  Amazon would have saved me money over Angelus Press for "The Mass of Brother Michel".  Oh well, I support SPPX anyway. Amazon sure doesn't give provide me with the Mass.

The sale was extended!
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"