Notre Dame Girlfriend Hoax

Started by Bonaventure, January 16, 2013, 11:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Archer

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/16/notre-dame-manti-teo-victim-of-a-hoax/

QuoteNotre Dame: Manti Te'o victim of a hoax
Posted by John Taylor on January 16, 2013, 6:26 PM EST

There are bizarre stories, then there's, well, this.

Back in mid-September it was reported that the grandmother and girlfriend of Notre Dame All-American Manti Te'o had died within hours of each other, the latter (Lennay Kekua) after a courageous battle with leukemia.  As the Irish continued what would be a stunning run to the BCS championship game, Te'o's triumph over personal tragedy became an inspirational theme woven into the fabric of the 2012 college football season.

It was by all accounts heartbreaking and inspirational and, according to Deadspin.com, it was also a lie.

In a lengthy piece published by the website Tuesday, Deadspin declares that "Te'o's Dead Girlfriend, The Most Heartbreaking And Inspirational Story Of The College Football Season, Is A Hoax."  While it would be impossible to even begin to summarize the baffling story, this paragraph fairly encapsulates what the website is claiming:

There was no Lennay Kekua. Lennay Kekua did not meet Manti Te'o after the Stanford game in 2009. Lennay Kekua did not attend Stanford. Lennay Kekua never visited Manti Te'o in Hawaii. Lennay Kekua was not in a car accident. Lennay Kekua did not talk to Manti Te'o every night on the telephone. She was not diagnosed with cancer, did not spend time in the hospital, did not engage in a lengthy battle with leukemia. She never had a bone marrow transplant. She was not released from the hospital on Sept. 10, nor did Brian Te'o congratulate her for this over the telephone. She did not insist that Manti Te'o play in the Michigan State or Michigan games, and did not request he send white flowers to her funeral. Her favorite color was not white. Her brother, Koa, did not inform Manti Te'o that she was dead. Koa did not exist. Her funeral did not take place in Carson, Calif., and her casket was not closed at 9 a.m. exactly. She was not laid to rest.

It's a fascinatingly disturbing read, and we strongly urge you to plow through the lengthy piece in its entirety HERE.  It's not, however, the end of the story.  Far from it, in fact.

In response to Deadspin's story, Notre Dame released a statement claiming that, in essence, Te'o was the victim of a hoax:

On Dec. 26, Notre Dame coaches were informed by Manti Te'o and his parents that Manti had been the victim of what appears to be a hoax in which someone using the fictitious name Lennay Kekua apparently ingratiated herself with Manti and then conspired with others to lead him to believe she had tragically died of leukemia. The University immediately initiated an investigation to assist Manti and his family in discovering the motive for and nature of this hoax. While the proper authorities will continue to investigate this troubling matter, this appears to be, at a minimum, a sad and very cruel deception to entertain its perpetrators.

Te'o has not issued a statement on the story, which is rapidly becoming one of the most baffling and head-scratching stories of the year.

UPDATED 6:32 p.m. ET: Subsequent to the initial posting, Te'o has released a statement addressing this situation as well.  Here it is, in its entirety.

"This is incredibly embarrassing to talk about, but over an extended period of time, I developed an emotional relationship with a woman I met online. We maintained what I thought to be an authentic relationship by communicating frequently online and on the phone, and I grew to care deeply about her.

"To realize that I was the victim of what was apparently someone's sick joke and constant lies was, and is, painful and humiliating.

"It further pains me that the grief I felt and the sympathies expressed to me at the time of my grandmother's death in September were in any way deepened by what I believed to be another significant loss in my life.

"I am enormously grateful for the support of my family, friends and Notre Dame fans throughout this year. To think that I shared with them my happiness about my relationship and details that I thought to be true about her just makes me sick. I hope that people can understand how trying and confusing this whole experience has been.

"In retrospect, I obviously should have been much more cautious. If anything good comes of this, I hope it is that others will be far more guarded when they engage with people online than I was.

"Fortunately, I have many wonderful things in my life, and I'm looking forward to putting this painful experience behind me as I focus on preparing for the NFL Draft."

Is anyone else following this? If you read the original Deadspin story (linked in the NBC article) the details are just bizzare.  If Te'o knew about this, which at this point seems pretty likely, it's a pretty whacked way to get publicity. 
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Bonaventure

Only God knows if we'll ever learn what exactly happened, but I think it raises alarms to all of us, since so many social interactions take place over the Internet now, and more than ever, man has the capacity to lie.

In what is our great weakness, the trust and charity expected of a good Catholic, also rests our great strength: an aversion to lying. No honest Catholic good could "catfish" people in good conscience. That's why I trust most on this forum, and know quite a few of them personally. Many of us are unique, and I don't think a bored guy in a computer lab could think these personas.

People will get ideas, though.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Vetus Ordo

DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

poche

tmw89

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on January 17, 2013, 12:12:15 AM
Someone is copying Laura!

Ha, all I could think after I read it was "This doesn't sound familiar at all"  ;)
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

totiusque

This is what happens when a Mormon goes to a "c"atholic school.
"Whenever anything disagreeable or displeasing happens to you, remember Christ crucified and be silent."
—St John of the Cross

jovan66102

Quote from: tmw89 on January 17, 2013, 12:19:56 AM

Ha, all I could think after I read it was "This doesn't sound familiar at all"  ;)

My thoughts exactly! ;D
Jovan-Marya Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
"Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)" St Bernard of Clairvaux
https://musingsofanoldcurmudgeon.blogspot.com/

Penelope

I was telling some folks at work today about how I once helped uncover a catfishing scam. All of that Laura business was some of the most unsettling drama I've ever had the displeasure of being involved with.

Kaesekopf

Who has the time to sit about and enact a catfishing scam?
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Magnificat

I keep hearing about this. I guess I should look into it.

MilesChristi

Plenty of people lie about having girlfriends. Having an imaginary girlfriend die on you is kind of dark.
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Bernadette

Quote from: jovan66102 on January 17, 2013, 02:39:02 AM
Quote from: tmw89 on January 17, 2013, 12:19:56 AM

My thoughts exactly! ;D

Man, am I glad that I'm not the only one thinking this!  ;D It's so much more fun when there are other people laughing too. I was going to post about this, and then see how long it took before someone chimed in.
My Lord and my God.

LouisIX

I think Manti must be involved with this.  There's really no other explanation.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Kaesekopf

What would it benefit him, though?

Who gains?
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.