Hello from Paris

Started by ABlaine, October 23, 2016, 05:50:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABlaine

Hello everyone! Just wanted to quickly introduce myself - and I see that there is a form so I'll start there.

What brings you to SD? I've recently moved from being passively Catholic to going to a TLM mass here in Paris. It has been transformational, really. I can't imagine why all parishes aren't like the one I attend now.
Are you a member of other Internet fora?  If so, care to mention which one(s)? Just talkclassical. I haven't been very active there as of late.
Why did you choose your username and avatar? Just a character from a book I've always loved.
What is your state of life - single, married, religious, or still discerning? Single. I'm 23, definitely want to get married and have kids. So I guess I've discerned that already.
Whereabouts do you live "in real life"? (be as specific or as general as you wish!) Paris. I live right in the middle (near the Louvre)
Personality type? Not sure really. I'm very outgoing but other than that...
Favorite books? The Metamorphoses, De Rerum Natura, Ab Urbe Condita, anything by Lysias, Plato's Phaedrus, Naiv. Super (Erlend Loe), Doppler(also Erlend Loe), Pierre et Jean, Bel-Ami, Le Voyage au centre de la terre, La terre des hommes, Swiss Family Robinson, The Idiot, Anna Karenina, anything by H. Rider Haggard.
Favorite movies? The Sound of Music, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Khartoum, Mosquito Coast.
Favorite TV shows? Fraiser, I also still like Pokémon but haven't actually watched it in a long time. The latest season of south park has been great.
Favorite sports/teams None.
Have any hobbies? Used to rock climb a lot, now I just run and go to the gym. Other htan that I love going to the symphony, the theatre, and the opera. I also like to go out to eat and go to the various clubs, etc of Paris on the weekend. I also like clothes just enough to care how I look and to take care of them.
Pet peeves: People that don't know how to eat at a dinner table (chewing with their mouth open, etc). People that wear too much cologne, bite their nails, or who have poor hygeine in general.
Fun random fact about yourself: I'm british-american but I've never actually been to the UK in my life.

Anyway, so yeah. I'm American but live in Paris (cue Gershwin), I moved here like 4 months ago as a change of pace after graduation. I now work as a marketing lead at a startup and also at a small venture capitalist. Both fun jobs but it really eats into my free time. I graduated from university in the US (Geology and classics) and didn't like the one job offer I got, so I bailed on the whole show.

So I'm here because I am not happy with the direction that the west is taking and I blame that mostly on the decline of the catholic church (the other problem is the shift toward modern 'democracy' but I'm not sure how many people here would actually agree with this sentiment!). The decline of the Church I blame on the NO, etc. you walk around Paris today and it's like we are living in the ruins of a great civilization that is long gone - but at my church it feels like that civilization is still alive, if dimmed.

Nice to meet everyone

Older Salt

Stay away from the near occasion of sin

Unless one is deeply attached to the Blessed Virgin Mary, now in time, it impossible to attain salvation.

Michael Wilson

Welcome to the forum, and even more: Welcome to tradtion! Paris is a beautiful city.
On your book list: The only one I've read is "Swiss Family Robinson"; I really enjoyed that book.
I hope you like it here.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Chestertonian

"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

martin88nyc

Welcome aboard.
PS:Paris is slowly becoming a lawless city. Aren't you afraid of all these refugees living on the streets?
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

dymphna17

Hello from Kansas! And welcome, both to Tradition and to the forum!  We have a group devoted to Our Lady of Lourdes here  http://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?board=34.0  if you would be interested (we ask pretty much everyone, so it's not just because you happen to be in France  ;)  ).  I look forward to reading your posts.   8)
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Lynne

Bienvenue! I went to Paris in 1986 (sigh), beautiful city.

I'm so glad you found Tradition.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Prayerful

Bienvenue or welcome!

The Novus Ordo Missae is a dismal bit of work. Even the Latin in the text promulgating it in 1969 was blundered badly, as was the gazette recording the act (the text just said it was legal not that it superseded the Mass which was obviously and sadly intended). That must have been a sign....
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Jayne

Welcome to the forum. I changed planes in Paris once.  8)
I really enjoyed your intro, especially the Gershwin reference.
[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvglHa_P9BA[/yt]

Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

ABlaine

Thanks for all the welcomes, everyone!

Quote from: martin88nyc on October 23, 2016, 10:09:58 AM
Welcome aboard.
PS:Paris is slowly becoming a lawless city. Aren't you afraid of all these refugees living on the streets?

Yeah the city has had a rough run at it recently (I could go on all day as to the why - but 6 decades of awful immigration policy is the main reason). I wouldn't say lawless, rather it just takes a lot more effort to keep everything running smoothly - for example there are army patrols down my street 4 to 6 times per day. My old church used to have soldiers posted outside during mass and a police patrol during (esp. after Fr. Jacques Hamel was assassinated in July), this doesn't occur at my current one.

At the risk of sounding uncharitable, if the people claiming to be refugees are actually Syrian they should have claimed asylum in the first safe country they reached. That was assuredly not France - even those here just want to go to the UK... hence the Calais situation that is coming to a head right now.

With some big asterisks I think that the city is actually a pretty good place to live so long as you don't go to far north.

Quote from: dymphna17 on October 23, 2016, 10:12:38 AM
Hello from Kansas! And welcome, both to Tradition and to the forum!  We have a group devoted to Our Lady of Lourdes here  http://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?board=34.0  if you would be interested (we ask pretty much everyone, so it's not just because you happen to be in France  ;)  ).  I look forward to reading your posts.   8)

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Stella Maris

Bonjour, ABlaine! J'adore la France, surtout Paris, et je suis complètement d'accord avec ce que vous avez dit au sujet de la civilisation. Bienvenu au forum!

Miriam_M

What a wonderful addition you are.  I'll look so forward to your postings.

zork

Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Stella Maris