interesting purchase you made recently?

Started by diaduit, May 22, 2021, 03:47:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moneil

I was at a large annual used book sale in Walla Walla, WA last Saturday and found a copy of "Pioneer Catholic History of Oregon", a first edition published in 1911.  For the non-locals, "Oregon" here refers to not the state but the Oregon or Northwest Territory, which included present day Oregon, Washington, and northern Idaho.  The history begins with the arrival from Quebec of John McLoughlin, MD in 1824 converted to the Catholic faith in 1842.  The tome was priced at US$24 which gave me pause, but a quick internet search suggest that this was a reasonable price.  I had not heard of the book but I'm always interested in histories of the Church, especially in the Northwest territories, and I look forward to reading it soon.

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

drummerboy

Quote from: Bernadette on February 26, 2024, 10:12:58 AM
Quote from: drummerboy on February 26, 2024, 09:25:53 AMA stainless steel Saint Benedict medal and "dog tag" chain, so it won't tarnish and turn green on me!
So far I've stuck to silver for my religious jewelry (crucifix, Miraculous Medal, St. Teresa of Avila medal). I find them secondhand on ebay.

https://www.sistersofcarmel.com/infant-of-prague-our-lady-of-mount-carmel-medal/

My wife wears this and it seems to be holding up with minimal tarnishing, but no green at least.  Our wedding bands are actually sterling silver though, still holding up!
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Bernadette

This absolutely enormous 33" composition and cloth doll on monthly installments. I can't believe my luck. I had messaged the seller when she posted him on facebook, asking if she would take installments, and then I saw him listed on ebay. I figured that was that, as I definitely couldn't afford him upfront. Well, I watched him, and he didn't get any bids. He was within an hour and a half of ending, when the seller messaged me on facebook saying that she would take installments. So here he is. :) This is the seller's picture.
My Lord and my God.

Kaesekopf

I picked up some (more) pipe tobacco - Kramer's Father Dempsey, allegedly blended for and named after a priest in California. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Mushroom

Berry picker for the summer, hopefully it works. We have alot of Saskatoon berries and I hope to grow wild raspberries this year. 

You cannot view this attachment.

Bernadette

My Lord and my God.

drummerboy

Quote from: Mushroom on March 10, 2024, 09:13:12 AMBerry picker for the summer, hopefully it works. We have alot of Saskatoon berries and I hope to grow wild raspberries this year. 

You cannot view this attachment.

I watched a video of a small town in Russia whose economy is essentially selling a type of small berry unique to the area.  They were using that same style berry picker, so I'm sure it'll work. 
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Bernadette

I changed my mind on the huge baby (just too huge), and bought this wooden and cloth doll instead. Hand carved in Italy with wooden head and 3/4 limbs. And braids. I love dolls with perfect braids.
My Lord and my God.

Bernadette

Technically I didn't buy this, but: traded 2 china heads for a huge original Bye-Lo body, to complete my huge Bye-Lo head. He'll be all original now, hands and all. I had one celluloid hand that he came with, and the body came with another hand (opposite). I'm very pleased.
My Lord and my God.

Bernadette

The Complete Works of St. Teresa of Avila, translated by E. Allison Peers, in hardcover. This is a dream come true!
My Lord and my God.