Best commentary on the Mysteries of the Rosary

Started by Stefano, January 11, 2019, 07:52:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stefano

I recently got "The Agony of Jesus" by St. Padre Pio, which is some of the best commentary that I have yet encountered on Our Lord's agony in the garden. It has really helped elucidate the nuances of the mystery and drastically improved my meditations on it. Unfortunately, there do no seem to exist in print commentary from him on the other mysteries.

Would anyone have any recommendations for a single text with excellent commentary on all 15 mysteries?

Thank you in advance!

Josephine87

I was just going to make a thread asking for this! Thank you. I look forward to what everyone says and appreciate the recommendation for St. Padre Pio's book.
"Begin again." -St. Teresa of Avila

"My present trial seems to me a somewhat painful one, and I have the humiliation of knowing how badly I bore it at first. I now want to accept and to carry this little cross joyfully, to carry it silently, with a smile in my heart and on my lips, in union with the Cross of Christ. My God, blessed be Thou; accept from me each day the embarrassment, inconvenience, and pain this misery causes me. May it become a prayer and an act of reparation." -Elisabeth Leseur

Christina_S

In The World's First Love by Ven. Fulton Sheen, there's a chapter near the end of the book with little reflections on each mystery of the Rosary.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

Stefano

Quote from: Josephine87 on January 11, 2019, 08:42:18 AM
I was just going to make a thread asking for this! Thank you. I look forward to what everyone says and appreciate the recommendation for St. Padre Pio's book.

You're very welcome!

Quote from: Christina_S on January 11, 2019, 09:53:33 AM
In The World's First Love by Ven. Fulton Sheen, there's a chapter near the end of the book with little reflections on each mystery of the Rosary.

Thank you for your recommendation. How much detail is gone into in said chapter?

Christina_S

There's about a paragraph per mystery, and the focus is which virtues are portrayed in a given mystery and how we can live that out.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

Josephine87

"My present trial seems to me a somewhat painful one, and I have the humiliation of knowing how badly I bore it at first. I now want to accept and to carry this little cross joyfully, to carry it silently, with a smile in my heart and on my lips, in union with the Cross of Christ. My God, blessed be Thou; accept from me each day the embarrassment, inconvenience, and pain this misery causes me. May it become a prayer and an act of reparation." -Elisabeth Leseur

martin88nyc

Quote from: Josephine87 on January 26, 2019, 05:35:52 PM
I found this on my Amazon wishlist, I haven't bought it yet, but it might be a good choice.

https://www.amazon.com/Rose-Garden-Our-Lady-Meditations/dp/1892331225/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1548544502&sr=1-1
I have this one. I also bought a newly published book on the rosary by Abp. Lefebvre
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Josephine87

Quote from: martin88nyc on January 26, 2019, 06:52:06 PM
I found this on my Amazon wishlist, I haven't bought it yet, but it might be a good choice.

https://www.amazon.com/Rose-Garden-Our-Lady-Meditations/dp/1892331225/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1548544502&sr=1-1
I have this one. I also bought a newly published book on the rosary by Abp. Lefebvre

How do you like them?  (if you've read them yet)

martin88nyc

Quote from: Josephine87 on January 26, 2019, 07:38:37 PM
Quote from: martin88nyc on January 26, 2019, 06:52:06 PM

How do you like them?  (if you've read them yet)
I really like this book. There is more explanation (with reference to Tradition and teachings of the Church) than meditation. Abp Lefebvre explains each mystery and their fruit very thoroughly.

From Angelus Press' webpage
QuoteOne cannot think about the Eucharist without thinking about the Blessed Virgin Mary, because if she had not pronounced her fiat, we would not have the Holy Eucharist. It is because she gave her fiat that today we have the joy and the happiness of possessing Our Lord Jesus Christ in our tabernacles and on our altars. So, let us ask the Most Blessed Virgin Mary to give us this love that she so admired in her Son Jesus." - Archbishop Lefebvre on the Joyful Mysteries

This little book collects the thoughts of Archbishop Lefebvre and uses them to deepen our understanding of the mysteries of the Faith contained in the Rosary. The tone of the Archbishop is thoughtful, pleasant, and easy to read. Each mystery is described, followed by an instructional lesson with the corresponding virtue of the mystery to be imitated in our daily lives.

If you are seeking a better understanding of the Rosary, to integrate this prayer into your daily schedule, or to develop a deeper level of Faith through the study of its mysteries, this book is for you.
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Bernadette

I have this one, too, and was actually looking for this thread to suggest it.  ;) It's very good.
My Lord and my God.

KID ON THE MOUNTAIN

In addition to the "From the Rose Garden of Our Lady," I also like this booklet, "Rosary Album," by Michael Buccino. Angelus Press sells it.

https://angeluspress.org/products/rosary-album