Forum improvements?

Started by Kaesekopf, October 30, 2018, 04:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Wilson

Quote from: Lydia Purpuraria on May 31, 2020, 10:54:21 AM
I think that Kreuzritter's ban should be lifted.
Kaese probably did Kreuzritter a favor by banning him; it was apparent that he wasn't deriving any spiritual benefit from posting here; probably the opposite.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Philip G.

I think that encrypted vulgarities should be forbidden just as properly spelled vulgarities are.  It is becoming very common on the forum, and I don't think it is doing us any good. 
For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

Fleur-de-Lys

Quote from: Philip G. on September 03, 2020, 10:59:16 PM
I think that encrypted vulgarities should be forbidden just as properly spelled vulgarities are.  It is becoming very common on the forum, and I don't think it is doing us any good.

I agree. But what will that accomplish when the rule we already have against vulgarities isn't enforced?

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Fleur-de-Lys on September 04, 2020, 08:32:32 AM

I agree. But what will that accomplish when the rule we already have against vulgarities isn't enforced?

Indeed.  What we actually need on the forum is consistent moderation.

Philip G.

Encrypted vulgarities in my opinion have paved the way for the open vulgarities we are currently seeing.  The open vulgarities are not as common, and as a result can be managed easier by moderator notification than encrypted vulgarities.  However, if a rule is established against encrypted vulgarities, I think that broad measure is suited for that more broad problem.  People of good will try to follow rules.  Make a new rule. 
For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

Miriam_M

I do not know what "encrypted" vulgarities mean, but any literate person recognizes a published vulgarity when he or she reads or hears it.  I do not believe that gross language belongs in a traditional Catholic discussion forum.  When we use gutter language, we bring ourselves down to the gutter.  And if the person being criticized does himself use gutter (toilet or sexual) language, why imitate him, if he is so despicable?

Philip G.

Quote from: Miriam_M on September 04, 2020, 01:00:54 PM
I do not know what "encrypted" vulgarities mean, but any literate person recognizes a published vulgarity when he or she reads or hears it.  I do not believe that gross language belongs in a traditional Catholic discussion forum.  When we use gutter language, we bring ourselves down to the gutter.  And if the person being criticized does himself use gutter (toilet or sexual) language, why imitate him, if he is so despicable?

The "F" word seems to be a favorite encrypted vulgarity.  Instead of spelling out the word properly, they will use stars to spell out part of the word, or they will spell it the way it sounds.  There are numerous ways to incorporate these vulgarities without breaking the letter of the law.  And, either way, within the context, we all know what they are saying; which, is why it is being done.  And, again, it is paving the way for the open vulgarities that are becoming more common.  It really ruins the conversation on multiple levels in my opinion. 

Philip G.

Quote from: MundaCorMeum on September 04, 2020, 08:57:34 AM

If you want to become a forum watchdog and notify the moderator every time vulgarities occur, God bless you.  But, I am of the type that likes to stop a problem before it occurs.  And, that means avoiding/preventing near occasions.  Encrypted vulgarities are near occasions.  And, us, as salt of the earth can easily prevent this by follow the rules.  All we need now is a rule. 

red solo cup

Forum Rules, #2 under Conduct.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Jayne

Quote from: MundaCorMeum on September 04, 2020, 08:57:34 AM

This forum was founded with a team of moderators and the rules were made with an assumption that multiple people would be available to enforce them.  We have since lost all the moderators, other than the forum owner KK who obviously does not have the time to do that work.

He did have plans to appoint some new moderators but, for some reason, has been unable to carry them out.  I can understand that they would be difficult to recruit.  Being a forum moderator tends to be a thankless and time-consuming job.  Also, I have noticed that the people who want to be moderators are often people whom I consider ineligible for the task.

In any event, the solution to having members who regular flout the existing rules against profanity is clearly not having stricter rules against profanity. 
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Jayne

Quote from: red solo cup on September 05, 2020, 05:44:45 AM

This rule is:
QuoteVulgarities are forbidden on this forum.  You are not "in person" here, so you have time to compose and edit your thoughts. Please exercise that ability.

This already represents a stricter rule against profanity than the way it was originally phrased.  At first, the rule was to avoid profanity.  Enough posters showed a lack of prudence in this area that the rule was changed. 

As we can see, a stricter rule has not stopped vulgarity on the forum.  Certain people will write this way unless they are forced to stop.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Jayne on September 05, 2020, 06:17:34 AM

This rule is:
QuoteVulgarities are forbidden on this forum.  You are not "in person" here, so you have time to compose and edit your thoughts. Please exercise that ability.

This already represents a stricter rule against profanity than the way it was originally phrased.  At first, the rule was to avoid profanity.  Enough posters showed a lack of prudence in this area that the rule was changed. 

As we can see, a stricter rule has not stopped vulgarity on the forum.  Certain people will write this way unless they are forced to stop.

Oh fuck off.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Sempronius

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on September 05, 2020, 12:57:25 PM

This rule is:

Oh fuck off.

What a disgrace. I have tougher friends than you that never curse. But somehow its a badge of honour to swear on this forum.

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Sempronius on September 05, 2020, 01:23:55 PM

This rule is:

Oh fuck off.

What a disgrace. I have tougher friends than you that never curse. But somehow its a badge of honour to swear on this forum.

For a forum where something like 75% of ya claim to be Irish, to one degree or another, there sure is a lot of pushback on the language.

And swearing rarely has to do with being 'tough'
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on September 05, 2020, 01:30:13 PM
Quote from: Sempronius on September 05, 2020, 01:23:55 PM

This rule is:

Oh fuck off.

For a forum where something like 75% of ya claim to be Irish, to one degree or another, there sure is a lot of pushback on the language.

And swearing rarely has to do with being 'tough'

Exactly.

Swearing has nothing to do with toughness and everything to do with a darkened heart.

Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, lust, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is the service of idols. For which things the wrath of God cometh upon the children of unbelief, in which you also walked some time, when you lived in them. But now put you also all away: anger, indignation, malice, blasphemy, filthy speech out of your mouth. (Col. 3:5-8)
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.