What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

Quote from: Heinrich on August 06, 2022, 07:36:32 AM
Quote from: Bernadette on July 29, 2022, 08:25:59 AM
Dem Days Was Hell: Slave Narratives collected by the Federal Writers' Project. The entire 31 volume series is .99, couldn't pass it up.

Try to find this one to balance the propaganda:

https://www.betterworldbooks.com/product/detail/9780692630099?shipto=US&curcode=USD&gclid=Cj0KCQjworiXBhDJARIsAMuzAuxdv6m2t4pNuYKuwPpBftWodFF8kGJ1UrKFLH7yhh8uSx6lY6wOXQsaAhNgEALw_wcB
I wouldn't call it propaganda. There are stories of people who loved their "white folks", and stories of people who were treated badly. It seems pretty balanced.
My Lord and my God.

maryslittlegarden

The Consoling Thoughts of St Francis De Sales
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Bernadette

My Lord and my God.

Acolyte

Edit :Oops, wrong forum
"From the moment we awake in the morning, let us pray continually in the words of holy David: Turn away my eyes, that they may not behold vanity"
St Alphonsus

"I will set my face against you, and you shall fall down before your enemies, and shall be made subject to them that hate you, you shall flee when no man pursueth you"
Leviticus 26:17

"Behold, O God our protector : and look upon the face of Thy Christ" (Ps. 79:20) Here is devotion to the face of Jesus Christ as prophesized by David."
Fr. Lawrence Daniel Carney III

Melkor

Quote from: Bernadette on August 11, 2022, 09:56:53 PM
The Hound of the Baskervilles.

I personally think that that is the greatest mystery novel ever written. My sister, who is a big Agatha Christie fan, denies it quite vigorously lol.

Edited for a typo
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Melkor

The Sea Warriors by Richard Woodman. A masterful insight into the importance of the role that frigates played during the Napoleonic wars.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Polymath

The Appalling Strangeness of the Mercy of God by Michael Pakaluk, about his late wife who was so clearly a saint.

Bernadette

Getting ready to start Nella Last's War which is a collection of one woman's diaries in wartime Britain. She wrote for the Mass Observation Project, which documented the effects of the war on everyday citizens.
My Lord and my God.

Bernadette

Just finished The Gate of the Giant Scissors, a sweet children's story, and getting ready to start London Labour and the London Poor by Henry Mayhew, and Food in England by Dorothy Hartley.
My Lord and my God.

red solo cup

The Death of the West by Patrick Buchanan. Everything happening today, he predicted 20 years ago.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Bernadette

Getting ready to reread My Catholic Faith, by +Morrow. I found a copy on archive.org and am curious to see how it compares to the original.
My Lord and my God.

Kaesekopf

I'm slowly meandering my way through Bram Stoker's Dracula.  It's interesting.  It's somehow both fast-paced and long.  :lol:

Besides that, I've also got a book checked out on the 1916 Easter Rising, under the same title 1916: Easter Rising by Tim Pat Coogan. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Justin Martyr

Handbook of Moral Theology by Fr. Prümmer O.P.
The least departure from Tradition leads to a scorning of every dogma of the Faith.
St. Photios the Great, Encyclical to the Eastern Patriarchs

CANON I: As for all persons who dare to violate the definition of the holy and great Synod convened in Nicaea in the presence of Eusebeia, the consort of the most God-beloved Emperor Constantine, concerning the holy festival of the soterial Pascha, we decree that they be excluded from Communion and be outcasts from the Church if they persist more captiously in objecting to the decisions that have been made as most fitting in regard thereto; and let these things be said with reference to laymen. But if any of the person occupying prominent positions in the Church, such as a Bishop, or a Presbyter, or a Deacon, after the adoption of this definition, should dare to insist upon having his own way, to the perversion of the laity, and to the disturbance of the church, and upon celebrating Pascha along with the Jews, the holy Synod has hence judged that person to be an alien to the Church, on the ground that he has not only become guilty of sin by himself, but has also been the cause of corruption and perversion among the multitude. Accordingly, it not only deposes such persons from the liturgy, but also those who dare to commune with them after their deposition. Moreover, those who have been deposed are to be deprived of the external honor too of which the holy Canon and God's priesthood have partaken.
The Council of Antioch 341, recieved by the Council of Chalcedon

Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Kaesekopf on August 30, 2022, 08:44:37 AM
Besides that, I've also got a book checked out on the 1916 Easter Rising, under the same title 1916: Easter Rising by Tim Pat Coogan.

I've got a couple of other books by Tim Pat Coogan (The Troubles and Michael Collins), good author
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Lynne

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on August 30, 2022, 10:46:50 AM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on August 30, 2022, 08:44:37 AM

I've got a couple of other books by Tim Pat Coogan (The Troubles and Michael Collins), good author
Adding this to my list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"