What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

red solo cup

Quote from: Pon de Replay on August 25, 2021, 07:21:22 PM

Lafcadio Hearn, Glimpses of Unfamiliar Japan
Hearn was quite a character. If I recall correctly, he had to leave the state of Illinois for marrying a black woman. In those days, illegal.

Mono no aware

Quote from: red solo cup on August 26, 2021, 05:54:12 AM
Hearn was quite a character. If I recall correctly, he had to leave the state of Illinois for marrying a black woman. In those days, illegal.

You recall correctly, but the locale was Cincinnati.  Paris Review | The Many Lives of Lafcadio Hearn.  His life's trajectory seems sufficiently interesting that I considered purchasing a 1936 biography, Unfamiliar Lafcadio Hearn, by Kenneth P. Kirkwood, but opted for this instead.  I do not have the handsome two-volume hardcover set pictured here, unfortunately.  It's a fat paperback in trade size from Tuttle Publishing, 580 pp.

Bernadette

The Lost Prince, by Frances Hodgson Burnett, and The Diary of a Young Girl: The Revised Critical Edition, by Anne Frank. The latter was put together by the Dutch War Institute, and contains all three versions of her diary,
My Lord and my God.

Bernadette

I Capture the Castle, by Dodie Smith. This was one of my favorites in my teens and early twenties. Haven't read it for years.
My Lord and my God.

Tennessean

The Future of Nostalgia, Svetlana Boym. I'm also rereading A Canticle for Leibowitz, Walter Miller.

Lynne

Quote from: Tennessean on September 04, 2021, 06:24:26 AM
I'm also rereading A Canticle for Leibowitz, Walter Miller.

I loved this.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

red solo cup

John Adams by David McCullough. This won a Pulitzer.

Optatus

St. Louis-Marie de Montfort's Secret of the Rosary. I'm familiar with many of its more famous excerpts but am ashamed to report that I've never read it in full until now.

Prayerful

Military History of Late Rome, 457-518, Ilka Syvanne, sort of alongside Robert di Mattei's St Pius V.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

red solo cup

El Camino. Walking to Santiago de Compostela by Lee Hoinacki.

Lynne

Quote from: Optatus on September 24, 2021, 03:50:40 PM
St. Louis-Marie de Montfort's Secret of the Rosary. I'm familiar with many of its more famous excerpts but am ashamed to report that I've never read it in full until now.

Better late than never.  :)
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Bernadette

Cloud Cuckoo Land, by Anthony Doerr. It's pretty slow right now.
My Lord and my God.

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: red solo cup on September 26, 2021, 01:53:11 PM
El Camino. Walking to Santiago de Compostela by Lee Hoinacki.

How is it?

The Camino and more so the Via Francigena have always been on my bucket list
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Christina_S

Nicholas Nickleby by the one and only Charles Dickens.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith