What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MilesChristi

The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Prayerful

Ilkka Syvanne's Military History of Late Rome having read his interesting biography of Caracalla, which makes a strong case for an emperor was rightly wary, but not wary of the right men, men whom he had raised from nothing, but had suffered some slight, the Moorish Praetorian Prefect Macrinus was mocked for his effeminacy, and while his was a civil not a military official, he could access disgruntled soldiers. The despised senators who managed to cling to military or civil offices, were not the source of the plot, but rather freedmen. The current book is comprehensive, everything from sieging, counter-sieging to supplies and naval affairs.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Gardener

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Philip G.

I have had a little problem with depression and sleeping lately.  So, I have decided to read fiction novels in order to combat it.  I began reading the lord of the rings, which I had not yet read.  And, it is working.  I am getting flashbacks from the movie an liking it.  But, there is a lot already in the book that is not in the movie, so my imagination is going.  It is almost as if imagination is synonymous with the nature of a child/youth.  Laetificat juventutem meam.
For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

martin88nyc

Quote from: Philip G. on September 25, 2018, 01:28:53 PM
I have had a little problem with depression and sleeping lately.  So, I have decided to read fiction novels in order to combat it.  I began reading the lord of the rings, which I had not yet read.  And, it is working.  I am getting flashbacks from the movie an liking it.  But, there is a lot already in the book that is not in the movie, so my imagination is going.  It is almost as if imagination is synonymous with the nature of a child/youth.  Laetificat juventutem meam.
There is a dramatized audiobook online. I downloaded the files. If you would like to I could post a link where you can download all of the files.
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Optatus

Quote from: Philip G. on September 25, 2018, 01:28:53 PM

Wait until you go all in and start reading the Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales and the mammoth 12-volume History of Middle Earth. I just bought the recently-released The Fall of Gondolin but I haven't had time to sit down and read it yet.

Philip G.

Martin88nyc - Sure, post the link. 
For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

Bernadette

Flowers for Algernon.

Edit: That has got to be one of the saddest books I've ever read.
My Lord and my God.

martin88nyc

"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Bernadette

Just started The Mirror of Shalott, by Robert Hugh Benson, from archive.org.
My Lord and my God.

red solo cup

The first in Cormac McCarthy's Border Trilogy, All the Pretty Horses. Outstanding.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Bernadette

My Lord and my God.

Bernadette

A Practical Commentary on Holy Scripture, and Boy, by Roald Dahl.
My Lord and my God.

martin88nyc

The Memoirs of Louis Bouyer from Angelico Press

Maximilian

Quote from: Bernadette on September 30, 2018, 02:06:44 PM
A Practical Commentary on Holy Scripture, and Boy, by Roald Dahl.

That's interesting. I never knew that Roald Dahl wrote "A Practical Commentary on Holy Scripture."