What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red solo cup

The Dark Side of Camelot by Seymour Hersh. A couple points worth noting. Jack used to have nude swim parties around the White House pool when Jackie was out of town. At one of these he so badly sprained himself that he couldn't stand upright. To appear in public he had to wear a rigid brace that ran from groin to shoulders and kept him from bending over. He was wearing the brace when he was shot in Dealey Plaza. It kept him from bending over out of the way after the first shot through the throat and it held him upright for the fatal second shot. No mention of the brace was made in the Parkland Hospital report nor the official autopsy.
The other point was that on being informed of Jack's shooting, the first thing Bobby said was "Giancana". This is according to witnesses.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

MilesChristi

The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

drummerboy

Liberty The God That Failed, Christopher Ferrara

and

Physical Degeneration and Nutrition, by Dr. Weston Price
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Lynne

Quote from: drummerboy on April 13, 2018, 12:13:01 AM

and

Good books!
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Penitent

Gardener

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

MilesChristi

Mono no aware

Quote from: MilesChristi on April 05, 2018, 05:00:00 PM
The Sorrows of Young Werther

How did you like it?  It's one of my very favorite books.  The Suscipe Domine poster I most respect once remarked of Goethe that, like Nietzsche's, "his was one of the most beautiful pens to have ever written, without a doubt [ ... ] a giant almost unsurpassable in all of history, and this is only really appreciated in German, which is, I believe firmly, the most beautiful of all languages for too many reasons to describe."  I don't know German but I'm inclined to believe him.  Even in translation, though, The Sufferings of Young Werther is excellent (in my opinion).

OCLittleFlower

-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Maximilian

Quote from: MilesChristi on April 17, 2018, 05:05:36 PM

Cancer Ward

In the book, Solzhenitsyn says that he cured himself with chaga, a fungus that grows on birch trees.

I'm drinking some chaga tea tonight.

martin88nyc

Quote from: drummerboy on April 13, 2018, 12:13:01 AM

and

Have you read what Dr. Price had written about root canal treatments?
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

martin88nyc

Quote from: Maximilian on April 17, 2018, 08:21:10 PM
Quote from: MilesChristi on April 17, 2018, 05:05:36 PM

Cancer Ward

In the book, Solzhenitsyn says that he cured himself with chaga, a fungus that grows on birch trees.

I'm drinking some chaga tea tonight.
A pharmacist at my local pharmacy once showed me chaga concentrate from Russia. She said a guy from our area has healed stomach cancer with chaga. It is one of the most potent medicinal fungi.
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

MilesChristi

Quote from: Pon de Replay on April 17, 2018, 05:31:40 PM

How did you like it?  It's one of my very favorite books.  The Suscipe Domine poster I most respect once remarked of Goethe that, like Nietzsche's, "his was one of the most beautiful pens to have ever written, without a doubt [ ... ] a giant almost unsurpassable in all of history, and this is only really appreciated in German, which is, I believe firmly, the most beautiful of all languages for too many reasons to describe."  I don't know German but I'm inclined to believe him.  Even in translation, though, The Sufferings of Young Werther is excellent (in my opinion).

I liked it. It was quick and short and I found myself wanting to continue reading. I liked clawing my way inot Werther's thought pattern, his infatuation over a woman, his familiarity and love for other people, and his morbid desire to well, you know.

Heinrich

Quote from: MilesChristi on April 19, 2018, 05:47:45 PM
Quote from: Pon de Replay on April 17, 2018, 05:31:40 PM

I liked it. It was quick and short and I found myself wanting to continue reading. I liked clawing my way inot Werther's thought pattern, his infatuation over a woman, his familiarity and love for other people, and his morbid desire to well, you know.

Sorry, but Sturm und Drang is a mindless, petulant precursor to our modern emoting age. The whole Continental Romanticisn, as a philosophy, is a vapid attempt to fill the Enlightenment's voiding of a prelapsidarian modus vivendi pre Renaissance.

While I agree that German is the most beautiful of languages, it is hard to separate the bad philosophy from Goethe.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Mono no aware

Quote from: Heinrich on April 19, 2018, 05:57:14 PMSorry, but Sturm und Drang is a mindless, petulant precursor to our modern emoting age. The whole Continental Romanticisn, as a philosophy, is a vapid attempt to fill the Enlightenment's voiding of a prelapsidarian modus vivendi pre Renaissance.

While I agree that German is the most beautiful of languages, it is hard to separate the bad philosophy from Goethe.

Well, Goethe himself didn't consider it as a great a book as I do.  He considered it something of "a youthful indiscretion," to paraphrase Henry Hyde.  But I don't disagree with you.  In a sense, Werther exchanges the worship of God for the worship of a woman, even though this isn't explicit.  I don't think it would be a stretch to call his devotion to Lotte almost religious.  He has a contemptus mundi for the inanities of high society.  He is like a pilgrim in this world.  His love is almost a kind of fanaticism.  What compels the fanatic?  It seems strange that a suicide bomber is driven by the supposed words of God as revealed to a seventh century Arabian prophet.  It does not seem so strange to me, though, if the object of obsession is a beautiful woman.