What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pheo

Thanks, gents.  I'll throw them on the list.
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Clare

The Power and the Glory, Graham Greene.
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Michael Wilson

I just finished "!0 Little Indians" by Agatha Cristie; I have read two other of her books, this one I didn't like the ending, and after thinking about it, I thought the whole premise and the story was impossible.  She deliberately misleads her reader, and everything happens too tidy and works out too perfectly.  Thumbs down on this one.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Michael Wilson

I also read a Y.A. Series entitled "Divergent"; it takes place in the U.S. in the future after a war; Chicago survives as a lone city governed by the 'factions', here is the description from Amazon:
QuoteIn Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.

Debut author Veronica Roth bursts onto the YA scene with the first book in the Divergent series—dystopian thrillers filled with electrifying decisions, heartbreaking betrayals, stunning consequences, and unexpected romance.
The first book was very good, the heroine was believable and so was the plot and story; the second one was also very good; but I have head so many complaints from the kids at the High School about the third and final book, nobody liked it;  that I'm not going to read it.

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Archer

Quote from: Michael Wilson on May 03, 2014, 10:32:17 AM
I just finished "!0 Little Indians" by Agatha Cristie; I have read two other of her books, this one I didn't like the ending, and after thinking about it, I thought the whole premise and the story was impossible.  She deliberately misleads her reader, and everything happens too tidy and works out too perfectly.  Thumbs down on this one.

If I recall correctly the name was later changed to "And then there were none?" If so I read it and didn't like the ending either.  It was too neat and rather morbid. 
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Hector, Tamer of Horses

Yes, Ten Little Indians isn't one of Dame Agatha's best.  Far too contrived.  Although, when I was little, I was supposed to be in a play version, but all the deaths frightened me too much and I bowed out, so I guess it's somewhat effective.  It made me quite paranoid for a while.  Same thing with Sherlock Holmes stories.  I would lie awake at night waiting for a snake to crawl through the air grate.  Ah, childhood...

I'm reading The Stripping of the Altars and Philip II by William Thomas Walsh.  Both are good, but I have a thing for biography, especially of royalty, so the latter is absorbing most of my interest.  A very worthwhile read.
"The world is not yet exhausted: let me see something to-morrow which I never saw before."

-Dr. Johnson, Rasselas

Bernadette

Quote from: Hector, Tamer of Horses on May 03, 2014, 01:05:28 PM
I'm reading The Stripping of the Altars and Philip II by William Thomas Walsh.  Both are good, but I have a thing for biography, especially of royalty, so the latter is absorbing most of my interest.  A very worthwhile read.

Have you read his biography of Queen Isabella? I have his biography of St. Teresa of Avila and it's really good.
My Lord and my God.

Hector, Tamer of Horses

Quote from: Bernadette on May 03, 2014, 06:54:17 PM

Have you read his biography of Queen Isabella? I have his biography of St. Teresa of Avila and it's really good.

No, I haven't, when I found this book I'd actually never heard of him.  If his other books are anything like this one then I'm sure they're great.  It's very readable and very Catholic.
"The world is not yet exhausted: let me see something to-morrow which I never saw before."

-Dr. Johnson, Rasselas

Arun

Quote from: Michael Wilson on May 03, 2014, 10:38:51 AM
I also read a Y.A. Series entitled "Divergent"; it takes place in the U.S. in the future after a war; Chicago survives as a lone city governed by the 'factions', here is the description from Amazon:
QuoteIn Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.

Debut author Veronica Roth bursts onto the YA scene with the first book in the Divergent series—dystopian thrillers filled with electrifying decisions, heartbreaking betrayals, stunning consequences, and unexpected romance.
The first book was very good, the heroine was believable and so was the plot and story; the second one was also very good; but I have head so many complaints from the kids at the High School about the third and final book, nobody liked it;  that I'm not going to read it.

i think the missus saw this at the movies the other week...?

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

AugustineA

Father Elijah by Michael O'Brien

I just finished chapter two, and I'm hooked. A sweet traditional girl from the US recommended it to me, and so far it doesn't disappoint. The plot is built around the end of ages and persecution of the Church from within and out, and a Carmelite monk who has to save as many souls as he can.  :D
He has clothed me with a robe of salvation, and wrapped me in a mantle of justice, like a bridegroom adorned with a diadem. -Isaiah 61

Bonaventure

I read it while kids take exams. 128 pages in. It's excellent.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Bernadette

Quote from: Bonaventure on May 04, 2014, 12:39:43 AM

I read it while kids take exams. 128 pages in. It's excellent.

Wow. Did you have to put a book cover on it?  :huh:
My Lord and my God.

Michael Wilson

Yes, Ten Little Indians isn't one of Dame Agatha's best.  Far too contrived.  Although, when I was little, I was supposed to be in a play version, but all the deaths frightened me too much and I bowed out, so I guess it's somewhat effective.  It made me quite paranoid for a while.  Same thing with Sherlock Holmes stories.  I would lie awake at night waiting for a snake to crawl through the air grate.  Ah, childhood...I'm reading The Stripping of the Altars and Philip II by William Thomas Walsh.  Both are good, but I have a thing for biography, especially of royalty, so the latter is absorbing most of my interest.  A very worthwhile read.

I read the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes as an adult; I loved the character, he is so pompous and cock-sure of himself that he is actually likeable; poor Mr. Watson; I especially like the scene where Mr. Watson visits Holmes who he hasn't seen in a while; Holmes is bored and needs some stimulation; somebody has left their cane as a calling card, and Holmes asks Watson what can he surmise of the owner by examining the cane.  Watson proceeds to examine it, and then gives his profile of the owner to Holmes.  Holmes reaction is Holmes at his pompous obnoxious best; he tells Watson something to the effect: "your bumbling incompetence somehow acts as a mysterious stimulant that helps my powers of analysis." He then goes on to give the true profile of the owner by pointing out all the clues that the cane gives.  A real Holmesian tour de force. 

I read his "Isabella The Catholic", and his St. Teresa of Avila; both were excellent. I've been meaning to read "Phillip II" for a long time.

piabee

Picked it up at Sea-Tac airport and then it just so happened to be set in Seattle.

Hector, Tamer of Horses

The library at school has a free book table where all the old slightly ratty books that are no longer wanted are placed and anyone can take them, and today I picked up a nice copy of That Hideous Strength from 1960.  It's not even in very bad shape.  And luckily it's the book in the "Space Trilogy" that I haven't read yet.

-Dr. Johnson, Rasselas