"A Man for All Seasons" - accuracy?

Started by Kaesekopf, August 27, 2015, 01:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

How accurate is the movie "A Man for All Seasons" (1966) to history?  Does it treat St Thomas More properly?  Was there a lot of embellishment? 

I know we probably don't know the exact way things went, but is it at least a fair and good representation of how the good saint actually acted, lived, and thought? 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Bernadette

My Lord and my God.

Kaesekopf

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Bernadette

My Lord and my God.

The Harlequin King

It's an entertaining movie, but I don't think the historical Saint Thomas More would agree with the Bolt play's emphasis on conscience. For instance, the play's More says, "What matters is not that it's true, but that I believe it; or no, not that I believe it, but that I believe it."

That wouldn't be a position held by the historical More, who was responsible for putting six heretics to death during his term as chancellor. So obviously, merely sincerely believing a thing wasn't paramount in More's mind.

(That being said, with regard to the six heretics, I think it's important to note that they weren't private citizens burned just for being Protestant. They were priests, lawyers, or printers who all actively preached Protestantism or smuggled Protestant books into the country.)

The Harlequin King

Also, a small quibble: by this time, Henry VIII would no longer have been the hale and hearty athlete of his younger years. It would've been more accurate to show "fat Henry", but from a filmmaker's point of view, I can understand why they wanted to show the younger version.

Kaesekopf

HK - I assumed the "conscience" bits were a bit over-exaggerated, if not fabrications. 

Also good to know about Henry. 

Thanks!

Miriam_M

Quote from: The Harlequin King on August 27, 2015, 02:13:46 PM
Also, a small quibble: by this time, Henry VIII would no longer have been the hale and hearty athlete of his younger years. It would've been more accurate to show "fat Henry", but from a filmmaker's point of view, I can understand why they wanted to show the younger version.

Also, I doubt Robert Shaw would have been willing to gain so much weight, if he could have.

maryslittlegarden

That was one of the things (out of a few) that I had an issue with for the HBO series. 
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Jacob

Quote from: Bernadette on August 27, 2015, 02:01:15 PM
I found this article for you. It seems to cover the question pretty well.

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~histweb/scothist/brown_k/film/closed/reviews/man_for_all.html

That article has a few flaws of its own.

Quote from: The articleFred Zinnemann studied film in Paris in 1927-28, and emigrated to America in 1929.  Notably his early films were mostly documentaries, however he broke away from this in the 1950s, and the adaptation of Bolt's play was his first real success.  Bolt himself wrote the screenplay for Zinnemann's film, and was greatly involved in the final production of the picture.

Zinnemann's first real success?  I guess films like The Nun's Story don't count as successes in the author's mind.

:D
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Larry

Zinneman also did a few other pictures called From Here to Eternity, Oklahoma! and High Noon. I think that article can be disregarded.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

Greg

Quote from: Miriam_M on August 27, 2015, 03:02:36 PM

Also, I doubt Robert Shaw would have been willing to gain so much weight, if he could have.

But if he had, then they may have not needed a bigger boat.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.