Convince me to replace my 2012 laptop - or not!

Started by Non Nobis, February 28, 2019, 08:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Harlequin King

Quote from: Non Nobis on March 02, 2019, 07:01:35 PM
Now for some more decisions (trouble and/or fun): I'm considering getting a desktop (maybe an all-in-one) instead.  The only real reason for this is the bigger monitor; my eyes would really appreciate it, and I hear someone oohing and aahing (and I've done that too) about theirs.

This is my recommendation. I still stubbornly adhere to the desktop PC model. My tower is custom-built for gaming, but even for casual use, I believe an external keyboard, mouse, and monitor on a desk (preferably with some kind of ergonomic chair) are significantly more comfortable to use than a laptop.

With a budget tower, you might have money left over to invest on a quality monitor. The easiest on the eyes would, I think, be one in the range of 27" to 32" in size, with a 1440p or 4k resolution and a 144Hz refresh rate. These kinds of monitors are not necessarily so expensive anymore.

Gardener

Quote from: Gardener on March 03, 2019, 10:03:42 AM
I've attached a screenshot from OneDrive Word doc editor.

This was from a laptop running Linux Lint Cinnamon.

HA! Mint, I meant Mint.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Non Nobis

Quote from: Gardener on March 04, 2019, 03:22:28 PM
Quote from: Gardener on March 03, 2019, 10:03:42 AM
I've attached a screenshot from OneDrive Word doc editor.

This was from a laptop running Linux Lint Cinnamon.

HA! Mint, I meant Mint.

:D
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Non Nobis

FWIW

Right now I am not using my laptop keyboard, but rather it is slipped at an angle into a laptop stand (once a docking station) which makes the keyboard unusable but holds the monitor much higher than it would be if the laptop was flat on the desk. I have an external (wired) keyboard which does lay flat.  I would probably continue with this setup if I just get a laptop, but obviously not with an external monitor or all-in-one. I'm not sure if I really prefer this higher monitor position or I'm just used to it. I have bi-focal glasses now and lower might be better.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Bernadette

Quote from: Gardener on March 01, 2019, 09:48:32 AM

My suggestion would be to make sure you back up any data you don't want to lose, think you *probably* don't want to lose, etc. You should be doing this anyway!

I just moved over all of my files onto my new computer using a 4GB thumbdrive. It was like filling a bathtub with a measuring cup, but it was the only option that didn't involve buying more stuff.
My Lord and my God.

Hat And Beard

Chiming in at the 11th hour here...I would urge you to keep your laptop for the time being, but buy a cheap desktop tower/monitor for the heavier tasks.
I've had good luck buying used desktops on ebay. You can get a 4 or 5 year old Dell Optiplex for well under $100. Put a cheap SSD in(there's a 240GB Kingston running for <$30 on amazon), and a good 1080p IPS monitor for ~$100 and you're in business. If you go this route, you can try out Linux like some other replies have suggested, and it's relatively easy to install on this hardware(especially if you've got Unix/web development experience). I would deviate from the others and recommend plain Ubuntu- it's the most impressive operating system I've ever worked on. Also, most of the guides online when you search for How-To ______ will assume you're using Ubuntu and it's very easy to get help. You also get security updates very quickly because they pay an entire team of developers to maintain desktop Ubuntu.

Non Nobis

Well I went against all good advice and will live to regret it, but I got an all-in-one (a few weeks ago).  I don't like the heaviness of towers (or the space taken), and would have a problem lugging it up and down my stairs (3rd floor) and squatting down to deal with it, with my bad knees (I'm getting old).  I'm not into replacing hardware, or upgrading to the very latest thing. Yes I will certainly have a problem with having mine fixed (or if I need to replace it), but "I'll deal with that when it comes", as they say! I also spent a lot of money (well I suppose way too much, but I'm not providing a link  ;D)  and got enough "good hardware" so that I hope I will be happy for long time.

I am keeping my laptop too, and will use it if I need something portable.  Possibly I will put Linux on it.

I guess I'm not very virtuous or prudent, "living for the present", but there it is!   :D

Thanks everyone. Time to refocus on my budget!

clau clau

The quality of computer hardware is dropping.  Moore's Law is finished.

I predict that the majority of computers going forward will be more unreliable and less and less compatible.  If I had a reliable computer I would hang onto it for as long as possible until it dies.

I think the best strategy going forward is to have a series of cheap (almost disposable) computers like Chromebooks or Raspberry PIs.  Then have a desktop server where you keep all the files you want to hang onto.

Save all of your files on google drive (or similar) and back them up to one of those 1-2 terabytes drives on a fairly regular basis.

I predict that in the not too distant future there will be a Windows upgrade which will brick a large number of computers and cause a major panic.  This will either be deliberate (industrial espionage) or accidental (due to incompetence).
Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)