Favorite Movie of 2012

Started by Bonaventure, December 28, 2012, 03:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonaventure

I did not get to watch everything I wanted to see, but it has to be the Dark Knight Rises, hands down.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Lyubov

Did anyone see The Master? I really wanted to see that one.
??? ?? ??? ????????
?? ??? ?????? ?????.

tmw89

Moonrise Kingdom.

Quote from: Lyubov on December 28, 2012, 03:42:24 PM
Did anyone see The Master? I really wanted to see that one.

Saw it.  Hated it.  Don't bother with it - you can never regain the time wasted watching it.
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

Lyubov

What was wrong with it? I only know what I saw in the trailer.
??? ?? ??? ????????
?? ??? ?????? ?????.

tmw89

Quote from: Lyubov on December 28, 2012, 03:54:14 PM
What was wrong with it? I only know what I saw in the trailer.

The trailer neglects to show you the many instances of explicit or near-explicit sexual perversion that litter the picture.  In the USA, the MPAA rated The Master "R" for "sexual content, graphic nudity and language."  I've known the MPAA to exaggerate in the past, thought it was restricted to only a scene or two in an otherwise fine movie, and saw it anyway.  The MPAA not only hadn't exaggerated, I don't think they made it clear enough; the NC-17 rating would have better conveyed the prevalence of the descriptors.
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

The Harlequin King

Another vote for The Dark Knight Rises, for sure. That movie was just winning on all accounts. See my article "The Once and Future Batman": http://modernmedievalism.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-once-and-future-batman.html

EcceQuamBonum

"Sero Te amavi, Pulchritudo tam antiqua et tam nova.  Sero Te amavi!"-Confessions, X.27

"You've thought about eternity for twenty-five minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions."--

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Ben

The Cabin in the Woods or Skyfall.

Bonaventure

EcceQuamBonum

Quote from: Bonaventure on December 28, 2012, 07:43:06 PM
Quote from: EcceQuamBonum on December 28, 2012, 07:27:43 PM
Argo was thoroughly enjoyable.

Is it still playing?

I'm not sure.  I saw it a month ago, so, possibly?  Maybe if you have a second-run movie theater nearby, that might be your best bet.
"Sero Te amavi, Pulchritudo tam antiqua et tam nova.  Sero Te amavi!"-Confessions, X.27

"You've thought about eternity for twenty-five minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions."--

Gottmitunsalex

"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Chrysostom  Sunday Homily

"The two goals of the Jews: The universal domination of the world and the destruction of Catholicism, out of hatred for Christ" --Mgr. Jouin

Kaesekopf

For Greater Glory and The Dark Knight Rises have to take my top votes.

I saw The Hobbit today and thought it was really well-done.  However, I think because it's a trilogy, the most power will come from the sequels.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

beagle

The only thing I saw was the re-release of Lawrence of Arabia, so I guess that could count.

EcceQuamBonum

Quote from: beagle on December 29, 2012, 07:07:30 PM
The only thing I saw was the re-release of Lawrence of Arabia, so I guess that could count.

That could count as favorite movie of 2012.  And every other year.