Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

martin88nyc

I still have the animated version stuck in my bookmarks....maybe one day I will get a chance to watch it.
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

YeOldeFustilarians

Hitchcock's Jamaica Inn.  Definitely a change of pace from the last four or five of his works that I've watched.
Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.

Chestertonian

"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

martin88nyc

The Finest Hour(2016) very very good
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

piabee

The Innkeepers. Good little indie horror.

red solo cup

Spy with Mellisa McCarthy and Rose Byrne. Funny but with lots of profanity.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Jerome

Oh you all who keep watching immoral and bad and dangerous movies, you will be judged for your folly. If even every word will be judged, then what with our thoughts and actual deeds?

I need to stop looking up the films people watch on imdb, since this could be an occasion of sinning for me, or at least, it disturbs me. Yes some film are horrible to say the least, oh what folly people watch, and still watch!

Yes, you know who you are... and God knows it also.

Even after having seen the Church's teaching, people still just don't care, and this scandalous film thread will continue to be filled with filth, crap, sin, mortal sins, scandals, immoralities, and immodesties, and the people who watch them will, to their own shame, also speak openly about them, thus promoting them. Shame on you!

It is impossible to watch the television or the secular movies, tv series, media etc. in a casual (even if careful) without being exposed to something immodest or worse every day, however careful you think you are. You can't decide what scenes will pop up!

Anyone who has ever watched the television and secular movies and even youtube (and especially when surfing the internet with images on*) knows this. I know it, you know it, everyone knows it.

The Church's teaching as presented in this thread is clear on that:

http://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?topic=15694.0

martin88nyc

No Jerome.The Finest Hour(2016) is actually a clean movie. Very good. It shows human valor and courage to face impossible. You should watch this movie and find out for yourself.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2025690/

QuoteThe Coast Guard makes a daring rescue attempt off the coast of Cape Cod after a pair of oil tankers are destroyed during a blizzard in 1952.

Jerome

Quote from: martin88nyc on November 01, 2016, 09:21:18 AM
No Jerome.The Finest Hour(2016) is actually a clean movie. Very good. It shows human valor and courage to face impossible. You should watch this movie and find out for yourself.

QuoteThe Coast Guard makes a daring rescue attempt off the coast of Cape Cod after a pair of oil tankers are destroyed during a blizzard in 1952.

I was not referring to you.

That is why I said they will know who they are.

P.S.
I would be more happy about this thread if this was the kind of films most people watched. But that is not the case. Oh no, I don't even want to mention some of the things imdb writes... Although, some have already been mentioned!

Jerome

Oh, and imdb has a parental guide so that people can understand what kind of film it is.

Not that I want anyone to watch media and expose themselves like almost everyone does today, but at least be more careful about what you watch, whosoever is reading this.

I'm sure there are other sites too that can be consulted.

Deirdre

I tried to watch Lady Jane, with Helena Bonham Carter and Carey Elwes. But the fanatical Protestantism got the better of me, and I had to turn it off. Poor Lady Jane, though. :(
My Lord and my God.

Jerome

Lady Jayne also is immodest and has lascivious scenes!

And so does Spy with Mellisa McCarthy and Rose Byrne

And also The Innkeepers, although, not as severe as those above.

*It's impossible to watch the television or the secular movies, tv series, media etc. in a casual (even if careful) without being exposed to something immodest or worse every day, however careful you think you are. You can't decide what scenes will pop up!

Anyone who has ever watched the television and secular movies and even youtube (and especially when surfing the internet with images on*) knows this. I know it, you know it, everyone knows it.

The Church's teaching as presented in this thread is clear:

http://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?topic=15694.0

Deirdre

Quote from: Jerome on November 01, 2016, 09:55:10 AM

It's been years since I've seen the whole movie, but in the part that I watched, Lady Jane and her husband had agreed to live as cousins. And Sir Patrick Stewart was walking around in what looked like a skirt and leggings. So.  :shrug:

My Lord and my God.

PerEvangelicaDicta

Quote from: martin88nyc on November 01, 2016, 09:21:18 AM

I don't believe Jerome was referring to this movie.  He's providing general words of caution for us.  All of us, even the best of trads, are vaccinated in the culture and have quite a high level of tolerance for immorality.  We've convinced ourselves that we can handle it / to be too strict is prudish.  Those, like Jerome, who have a higher level of Catholic consciousness are one percenters and walk the talk much better than I.  We really need to own up to our modernist bent in many areas. None of my confessors (traditional that is) have ever encouraged compromise in regard to Hollywood, yet I would still tempt fate, deciding for myself what was acceptable vs what the Church encourages for edification, let alone the state of my soul.

I appreciate the Jeromes who remind us to be ever vigilant.  I know I've made excuses for viewing something that crosses the line in language, humor or gratuitous violence if the "message" is good.  I try very hard to filter these now through Church guidelines, which means we view much less.
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

Jerome

Quote from: Bernadette on November 01, 2016, 10:04:46 AM
Quote from: Jerome on November 01, 2016, 09:55:10 AM

It's been years since I've seen the whole movie, but in the part that I watched, Lady Jane and her husband had agreed to live as cousins. And Sir Patrick Stewart was walking around in what looked like a skirt and leggings. So.  :shrug:

If you go to the imdb page (with images disabled of course), you will see a parental guide link if you look closely - it is called Parents Guide: View content advisory » (every film on IMDB has such a link, although, not all of them have something written in it).

If you read it, you will see what kind of nudeness and lascivious scenes this movie contains; since you are a woman, you would probably be less disturbed by even "thinking" or "reading" about it than I am.

Oh yes, if people got more disturbed about these kinds of things, like I do, more people would evidently flee from these kinds of occasions because they would truly fear to fall into sin and and of offending God.

St. Alphonsus: "Hence, whosoever had done good, or has abstained from great sins, should say with St. Paul, 'By the grace of God I am what I am.' (1 Cor 15:10), and ought to tremble, lest on the first occasion he should fall. 'Wherefore he that thinketh himself to stand, let him take heed lest he fall.' (1 Cor 10:12). By these words the apostle insinuates that he who considers himself secure, is in very great danger of falling. For in another place he says, 'if any man think himself to be something, whereas he is nothing, he deceiveth himself.' (Gal. 6:3). Hence St. Augustine wisely observes, 'The presumption of stability renders many unstable; no one will be so strong as he who feels his own weakness.' (Ser. 13 de verb. Dom). Whosoever says that he entertains no fear of being lost, betrays a pernicious self-confidence and security by which he deceives himself. For, confiding in his own strength, he ceases to tremble, and being free from fear, he neglects to recommend himself to God, and left to his own weakness, he infallibly falls. For the same reason, every one should be careful to abstain from indulging vain glory at not having committed the sins into which others have fallen; and should even esteem himself worse than them, saying, Lord if you had not assisted me, I would have been guilty of much more grievous transgressions. But if any one glory in his own works, and prefer himself before others, the Almighty, in chastisement of his pride, will permit him to fall into the most grievous and horrible crimes. The apostle says, 'With fear and trebling work out your salvation.' (Phil. 2:12). The timid distrust their own powers, and placing all their confidence in God fly to His protection in all dangers. He will enable them to overcome the temptations to which they are exposed, and they shall be saved. St. Philip Neri walking one day through Rome, was heard frequently to say, 'I despair.' Being corrected by a religious, he replied; 'Father, I despair of being saved by myself, but trust in God.' We should continually distrust ourselves, and thus we shall imitate St. Philip, who was accustomed to say every morning as soon as he awoke. 'Lord preserve me this day, otherwise I will betray you.'" (St. Alphonsus, A Short Treatise on Prayer, Chapter IV, "Of the Humility of with Which We Ought to Pray")

Considering the above underlining, this is why I am so careful about exposing my self to the dangers of all forms of media, since I know I can and even will fall if I expose my self. And I do not excuse my self with that I am "strong in faith or morals", since I do not presume on my own strength.