Notre Dame and La Cité

Started by Jacob, April 17, 2019, 06:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

A long time ago, my hometown library had old National Geographics laid out for the taking by anyone who wanted one.  I grabbed quite a few that had stories and pictures that interested me.  I also picked up a few at other places I don't now remember.  (Those I didn't toss when we moved over the years are currently in my mom's basement.)

One of them had a story about Notre Dame and the islands of the Seine.  After the fire, I did some Googling to see if I could find out which issue that story was in and if that issue is available online.  Unfortunately NG's archives require paying for an account.  So I emailed my public library and asked if they had any deals for patrons.  They don't, but the librarian who answered me asked for details and found the story, which National Geographic has placed online due to the fire.  How convenient!

So here is the story with pictures from May of 1968.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Heinrich

Great gumshoe work, Geck.

Have to create account in order to read it.

I mean top entry:

https://dict.leo.org/englisch-deutsch/geck
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Jacob

It worked the first time just by giving them an email address.  Awwwwww!
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Non Nobis

What a wonderful find! This 800 year history of the cathedral (linked to from the main article) looks especially interesting:  https://www.nationalgeographic.com/archaeology-and-history/magazine/2017/05-06/notre-dame-de-paris/

What gorgeous photos.

Thanks, Jacob.

(Heinrich I couldn't figure out what you were talking about until I actually followed your link  ;D)
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Heinrich

Alliteration is important to me.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.