Giving people rides who are dressed immodestly

Started by Quis ut Deus, July 02, 2019, 06:27:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quis ut Deus

Recently I have been troubled about giving rides to women who are dressed immodestly, wondering if it would be cooperation with evil to do so. The people of whom I speak, are not likely to change if I ask them to, but I'm often called upon to give them rides to different places, and if I refuse on grounds that they weren't dressed properly, probably all that would do is make them upset with me.

Am I sinning by cooperation if I take them out? Or am I overreacting?

Gardener

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Quis ut Deus

No lol. Just people in my family asking for rides.

Stubborn

"A man should go where he won't be tempted," which is to say that a man should not go where he might be tempted, so no more rides.
Even after a long life of sin, if the Christian receives the Sacrament of the dying with the appropriate dispositions, he will go straight to heaven without having to go to purgatory. - Fr. M. Philipon; This sacrament prepares man for glory immediately, since it is given to those who are departing from this life. - St. Thomas Aquinas; It washes away the sins that remain to be atoned, and the vestiges of sin; it comforts and strengthens the soul of the sick person, arousing in him a great trust and confidence in the divine mercy. Thus strengthened, he bears the hardships and struggles of his illness more easily and resists the temptation of the devil and the heel of the deceiver more readily; and if it be advantageous to the welfare of his soul, he sometimes regains his bodily health. - Council of Trent

Quis ut Deus

Quote from: Stubborn on July 02, 2019, 06:47:12 AM
"A man should go where he won't be tempted," which is to say that a man should not go where he might be tempted, so no more rides.

I'm not being tempted. I'm mostly talking about members of my own family, being asked by my mother to take my sister somewhere for example. My concern is that I'm cooperating with evil by taking someone out when they are dressed immodestly.

If I WAS being tempted, or even if I felt like I was in danger of being tempted, I think I would have a much clearer reason to stop.

Gardener

Well as long as you aren't in Alabama, the poorly dressed sister shouldn't be a problem. :toth:

I would say that the cooperation with evil would come more in the realm of "Take your sister to planned parenthood to get her month's supply of contraception", or "drive your alcoholic uncle to the bar since he got his license revoked", or something along those lines.

The manner of their dress is not related to the ride except in an ancillary manner. I would caveat that such a thing has exceptions. There's immodest and then there's... immodest. The destination, however, has a direct correlation to the ride.

You could certainly make conversation which gears toward the positive. "Hey sis, you ever think about wearing a longer skirt or a dress? I think a lot of guys actually really like that look."
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Stubborn

Quote from: Quis ut Deus on July 02, 2019, 06:56:14 AM
Quote from: Stubborn on July 02, 2019, 06:47:12 AM

I'm not being tempted. I'm mostly talking about members of my own family, being asked by my mother to take my sister somewhere for example. My concern is that I'm cooperating with evil by taking someone out when they are dressed immodestly.

If I WAS being tempted, or even if I felt like I was in danger of being tempted, I think I would have a much clearer reason to stop.

Ah, I see, well that's likely even worse. Does she have any religion at all? If so, you can let her know in your best subtle way, that God will judge her guilty each and every time that a man (or women these days) sins by lusting after her because of the way she's dressed. Maybe that will help her to think about it enough to stop dressing like that?

Even after a long life of sin, if the Christian receives the Sacrament of the dying with the appropriate dispositions, he will go straight to heaven without having to go to purgatory. - Fr. M. Philipon; This sacrament prepares man for glory immediately, since it is given to those who are departing from this life. - St. Thomas Aquinas; It washes away the sins that remain to be atoned, and the vestiges of sin; it comforts and strengthens the soul of the sick person, arousing in him a great trust and confidence in the divine mercy. Thus strengthened, he bears the hardships and struggles of his illness more easily and resists the temptation of the devil and the heel of the deceiver more readily; and if it be advantageous to the welfare of his soul, he sometimes regains his bodily health. - Council of Trent