Growth in St Mary's for First Holy Commuion

Started by dymphna17, May 02, 2016, 02:59:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dymphna17

With all the bad stuff going on, it is kind of nice to get a beautiful image once in a while.  Sorry about the size, when I went to shrink them, they wouldn't show up.

First Holy Communion, St. Mary's, 1982

First Holy Communion, St. Mary's, 2016 (My Great Niece is in here)  Congratulations Zellie!

Imagine what another 34 years will do!  God bless them, I hope this gives them the conviction and strength to always stay under Christ's banner.
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Lynne

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Elizabeth

dymphna17

I just found out the count was 105 First Holy Communicants.  It may not ever be this big again or it may be larger.  You just never know with St Mary's.  I sure hope it's always like this.  I also hope we get our church built soon.  For events like this, Mass has to be held in the gym.

/I apologize for the misspelling of Communion in the Subject line.   :-[
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Elizabeth

Ha! I tried counting, but had to estimate at about 80 or 90.  :grouphug:  We could use some heartwarming news like this.

ResRev

"You shall seek me, and shall find me: when you shall seek me with all your heart." Jeremias 29:13

Chestertonian

hah... of course there is that one kid with his back to the camera
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

dymphna17

Quote from: Chestertonian on May 02, 2016, 07:06:37 PM
hah... of course there is that one kid with his back to the camera

Boy, Father turns his back for a second and all hell breaks loose.  :lol:  I'll bet his parents are mortified.  Hopefully not, but I know I would be.
?

OCLittleFlower

Amazing growth!

What happened to the church in the first photo?  It looks like there's a bunch of rubble in front?
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

dymphna17

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on May 03, 2016, 01:17:50 AM
Amazing growth!

What happened to the church in the first photo?  It looks like there's a bunch of rubble in front?

The church burned in November of 1978 as the Society was making repairs after buying the property in May.  Then, in May of 1980 a bad wind storm went through and knocked down part of the front wall (the rubble you are seeing in the picture).  After that, a few months later another storm brought the back wall down but left the main altar and a statue of Our Lady untouched.  The wall on the west side also caved in during that storm and destroyed the side altars. It was a couple of years before it was cleaned up and stayed that way for several more.  In 2009 they razed it all together so they could start preparing the grounds for the new church.  I have no idea if or when they will start on the new church.  I know they have changed the design of the church twice.  Anyway, the picture below is of the church before it burned.  It's kind of funny, Hubby remembers going to Mass in that church when he was a kid.  I didn't get to see it before it burned.  We came here 5 months later.

http://www.anewimmaculata.org/history.html

?

Kaesekopf

Quote from: dymphna17 on May 03, 2016, 01:24:33 PM

The church burned in November of 1978 as the Society was making repairs after buying the property in May. 

Trads need to stop repairing churches.

:/
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Kaesekopf

Also, I've been kinda following the A New Immaculata project since 2008-2009 (before my SSPX days!  :lol:), and it seems like in 2012, the focus has moved towards making sure the school and 'parish' is on firm financial footing, and trying to fundraise over and above that. 

QuoteFr. Rostand then led a discussion on "the way forward" – balancing the needs of the schools with the New Immaculata fundraising campaign. Conclusions drawn:

• In upcoming months, Fr. Beck will begin publishing an occasional "parish financial snapshot" to allow parishioners to see how the campus as a whole is faring financially. This snapshot should allow the entire parish to take ownership of campus issues, encouraging and engaging the parish in the works of the SSPX at St. Mary's.

• Fundraising must continue for the New Immaculata, with the focus being on support "over and above what is already given to the schools." Fr. Beck stressed the importance of transparency and regular updates regarding progress of the project.

• A general meeting regarding the new church project, open to the parish, will be held soon as fundraising and space options are explored.

Fr. Rostand concluded the meeting with his blessing and words of encouragement for "the great good which is presently being done in St. Mary's and which will continue to be done in St. Mary's."

The site hasn't been touched in 3+ years, so....  I imagine the project is on hold.  :/

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

knish

"Everything in this life passes away — only God remains, only He is worth struggling towards. We have a choice: to follow the way of this world, of the society that surrounds us, and thereby find ourselves outside of God; or to choose the way of life, to choose God Who calls us and for Whom our heart is searching."
? Seraphim Rose

dymphna17

Quote from: Kaesekopf on May 03, 2016, 01:36:09 PM
Also, I've been kinda following the A New Immaculata project since 2008-2009 (before my SSPX days!  :lol:), and it seems like in 2012, the focus has moved towards making sure the school and 'parish' is on firm financial footing, and trying to fundraise over and above that. 

QuoteFr. Rostand then led a discussion on "the way forward" – balancing the needs of the schools with the New Immaculata fundraising campaign. Conclusions drawn:

• In upcoming months, Fr. Beck will begin publishing an occasional "parish financial snapshot" to allow parishioners to see how the campus as a whole is faring financially. This snapshot should allow the entire parish to take ownership of campus issues, encouraging and engaging the parish in the works of the SSPX at St. Mary's.

• Fundraising must continue for the New Immaculata, with the focus being on support "over and above what is already given to the schools." Fr. Beck stressed the importance of transparency and regular updates regarding progress of the project.

• A general meeting regarding the new church project, open to the parish, will be held soon as fundraising and space options are explored.

Fr. Rostand concluded the meeting with his blessing and words of encouragement for "the great good which is presently being done in St. Mary's and which will continue to be done in St. Mary's."

The site hasn't been touched in 3+ years, so....  I imagine the project is on hold.  :/

It is my understanding that they got hit with some serious code violations (newly enacted) that had to be taken care of within a certain time frame or the whole place would be shut down, including the schools.  Of course there was nothing cheap about any of it.  They didn't use any money that had been donated for the restoration of the church, but the focus for all fundraising had to go for these projects.  I don't know if they are done now or when they will get back to the restoration of the church.  I think needing yet another Mass on Sundays (6:30pm!  :cheer: ),  having such a large First Holy Communion group and upcoming graduations (extra people visiting for those occasions) may light the fire (no pun intended) under that project again.  People don't like having Mass in a gym.  You can gussy it up all you like but people are still sitting on fold up chairs and kneeling on hard wood.  I sure hope they get back to it soon.
?

Kaesekopf

Quote from: dymphna17 on May 03, 2016, 04:06:22 PM
It is my understanding that they got hit with some serious code violations (newly enacted) that had to be taken care of within a certain time frame or the whole place would be shut down, including the schools.  Of course there was nothing cheap about any of it.  They didn't use any money that had been donated for the restoration of the church, but the focus for all fundraising had to go for these projects.  I don't know if they are done now or when they will get back to the restoration of the church.  I think needing yet another Mass on Sundays (6:30pm!  :cheer: ),  having such a large First Holy Communion group and upcoming graduations (extra people visiting for those occasions) may light the fire (no pun intended) under that project again.  People don't like having Mass in a gym.  You can gussy it up all you like but people are still sitting on fold up chairs and kneeling on hard wood.  I sure hope they get back to it soon.

I figured something like that would be the cause for diverting fundraising focus in the short term.  I recall the ANI project being pretty "far-reaching" (considering I heard about it in 2007-2008, well before I was interested in associating with SSPX stuff), so I'm surprised the fundraising has taken so long.  (Not a judgment, just a comment.  Considering the fancy churches built in Walton and where ever St Isidore is in Colorado...)

I won't make a comment about evening Masses...  ;)  :lol:  :P

I'm honestly surprised they don't/didn't just split the First Communions throughout the month of May?  I have to imagine that would be a bit easier?  Unless there's something special about having them all go at once.  :shrug:  Maybe it's just easier logistically to have them all at once and "get it out of the way."

But, I do agree, and I don't even go to St Mary's.  They need a proper church, and one that can appropriately accommodate the needs of the community.  Gyms and chapels don't cut it (even in NO-Land!  :lol:)!