Pope Francis changed in a Burger King bathroom before Mass

Started by Chestertonian, July 09, 2015, 03:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chestertonian

QuotePope Francis changed in a Burger King bathroom before Mass

http://abcnews.go.com/International/pope-francis-mass-bolivian-burger-king/story?id=32336679

The leader of the Catholic Church didn't let an open air mass in Bolivia leave him in a pickle -- using a nearby Burger King as a makeshift changing room.

The restaurant, draped with white curtains and surrounded by plainclothes Swiss Guard, served as the sacristy for today's huge open air mass in Santa Cruz. The sacristy is where the priest dresses, saying prayers as he dons each item of clothing.

Pope Francis, who is known for his humble persona, has been stressing the need for social justice, preaching hard against a culture "where money rules, rather than service."

According to the Associated Press, Francis had been riding around in the Popemobile for about a half hour when his entourage approached the manager of the Burger King.

They "asked for help because this was an appropriate place and we had closed" to customers, the AP said.

PHOTO: Pope Francis stands outside the Burger King franchise that served as a makeshift sacristy for open air mass in Santa Cruz, Bolivia, July 9, 2015.
Francis called for people to look beyond the pursuit of profit and look out for one another instead.

It's a message that resonates in Bolivia, South America's poorest country, where 60 percent of the population lives below the poverty line.
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

OCLittleFlower

I wonder how much BK charged for them to shut down for the day...
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

christulsa

Greg

Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on July 09, 2015, 04:09:35 PM
I wonder how much BK charged for them to shut down for the day...

Oh, I'm sure they looked beyond the pursuit of profit.....

christulsa

Quote from: Chestertonian on July 09, 2015, 03:55:02 PM
QuotePope Francis changed in a Burger King bathroom before Mass

http://abcnews.go.com/International/pope-francis-mass-bolivian-burger-king/story?id=32336679

The leader of the Catholic Church didn't let an open air mass in Bolivia leave him in a pickle -- using a nearby Burger King as a makeshift changing room.

The restaurant, draped with white curtains and surrounded by plainclothes Swiss Guard, served as the sacristy for today's huge open air mass in Santa Cruz. The sacristy is where the priest dresses, saying prayers as he dons each item of clothing.

Pope Francis, who is known for his humble persona, has been stressing the need for social justice, preaching hard against a culture "where money rules, rather than service."

According to the Associated Press, Francis had been riding around in the Popemobile for about a half hour when his entourage approached the manager of the Burger King.

They "asked for help because this was an appropriate place and we had closed" to customers, the AP said.

PHOTO: Pope Francis stands outside the Burger King franchise that served as a makeshift sacristy for open air mass in Santa Cruz, Bolivia, July 9, 2015.
Francis called for people to look beyond the pursuit of profit and look out for one another instead.

It's a message that resonates in Bolivia, South America's poorest country, where 60 percent of the population lives below the poverty line.

Zoom in.  Is that ketchup on the pontiffs face? Or maybe its photo-shopped.  :o. Well if he can dispense himself from the rubric to only wash the feet of men on Holy Thursday, I suppose he can do the same for the Eucharistic fast.   ;D lol

Neopelagianus

Indeed, the true friends of the people are neither revolutionaries, nor innovators: they are traditionalists. - Saint Pius X

I am a ?????

"Not to oppose error is to approve it, and not to defend truth is to suppress it, and indeed to neglect to confound evil men, when we can do it, is no less a sin than to encourage them."
-Pope St. Felix III

"I would rather be a street-sweep rather than be a head of your schismatic church" (Prefiero ser lampazero a ser la cabeza de su jerarquia cismatica)

- Bishop Jorge Imperial Barlin, first native Filipino bishop  to Gregorio Aglipay after the latter offered the him to be the "bishop" of his "church".

dymphna17

Since they are in the tropics, I wonder if he's broiling?   ;)
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Melanie_T

Will it be used to advertise pope endorsed Friday fish burgers maybe?

Arun

Quote from: Melanie_T on July 12, 2015, 10:54:29 PM
Will it be used to advertise pope endorsed Friday fish burgers maybe?

doubt it... but funnily enough the mcdonald's fillet o fish burgers were first introduced to try and get the Catholic dollar on Fridays...

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

Gerard

Maybe he thinks he's reconciling Church and State and he believes the Burger King is a real Monarch. 

It's a return to fighting for Altar and Throne.

Gerard

I can picture it now. The wonderful "liturgical freedom." 

The smell of flame-broiled incense wafting around. 

The gifts get brought up in a little paper bag or would the Holy Father go to the sacred Drive Through Window? 

The paten was of course a plastic bussing tray and the Cyboria were Deep Fryer baskets. 

He consecrates the wine, elevates it in its little wax paper cup and drinks through a straw.

Holy Communion of course comes with dipping sauce, Spicy, Barbecue or Honey Mustard.   

The homily of course would be based on the Sacred Advertising slogan:  "Have it Your Way."  Beautiful theology that is best done with one hand on the wheel, while the other dips into a bag of fries. 

Lynne

Quote from: Gerard on July 12, 2015, 11:31:23 PM

The homily of course would be based on the Sacred Advertising slogan:  "Have it Your Way."  Beautiful theology that is best done with one hand on the wheel, while the other dips into a bag of fries.

Brilliant!
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Greg

Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Gerard on July 12, 2015, 11:31:23 PM
I can picture it now. The wonderful "liturgical freedom." 

The smell of flame-broiled incense wafting around. 

The gifts get brought up in a little paper bag or would the Holy Father go to the sacred Drive Through Window? 

The paten was of course a plastic bussing tray and the Cyboria were Deep Fryer baskets. 

He consecrates the wine, elevates it in its little wax paper cup and drinks through a straw.

Holy Communion of course comes with dipping sauce, Spicy, Barbecue or Honey Mustard.   

Cafeteria Catholicism at its best.
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace