Omitting the Fatima Ejaculation?

Started by GiftOfGod, December 13, 2020, 04:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kansas

When I was involved with Opus Dei, they said the Fatima Prayer prayer after each decade, but they never said the Hail, Holy Queen prayer at the conclusion.  Sure, they finished up with the Litany of Loreto, so they ended the Rosary with a bang.  As a result, perhaps they felt the Hail, Holy Queen was unnecessary for some reason.  Still, I was always baffled by that omission.

Here's a link to the official "How to say the Rosary" guide on opusdei.org.  You get the Luminous Mysteries (of course), but the Hail, Holy Queen prayer just ain't there.

https://opusdei.org/en-us/article/how-to-pray-the-rosary/
"We hold fast, with all our heart and with all our soul, to Catholic Rome...Mistress of wisdom and truth." -Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre, November 21, 1974

Gerard

Quote from: GiftOfGod on December 13, 2020, 04:54:05 PM
Does anyone pray the Rosary without the Fatima Ejaculation? I have always prayed it but I am now convinced that Our Lady of Fatima was a false apparition or false claims were made about it. No, I don't want to discuss it as there are already threads on it but I will say that the Church allows Catholics freedom to doubt private revelations, even if the revelations are approved (all approval means is that nothing is said that goes against the faith). SD threads on the subject:

http://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?topic=17989.msg398635
http://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?topic=19635.msg434771

Anyway, if anyone has prayed the Rosary in pre-Fatima style, did you notice any additional graces? Any fewer graces?

There are benefits to both having a set system of prayer and a willingness to "mix it up" when you believe it will help.   Putting down a devotion (or even a doubtful part of one as in this case) for a while is not a sin. I think a lot of us think that on some level. 

I go from saying the rosary every day for years and then I'll notice additional intentions are building up and before you know it A LOT of time is going by in prayer.  That can be good, but if it dries you up spiritually and you are stressing out in your daily duties because of it, streamlining things may be what God wants.   

I also periodically take all of my named intentions and I place them into a single Hail Holy Queen, it's sort of my warehouse of intentions.  And the purpose is for any intentions that I have had and those that may no longer be on my conscious mind.  The BVM knows my intentions better than I do anyway. 

I've taken the whole rosary and replaced it with only 3 Aves and reading 2 chapters of Scripture each day until I get through the Bible cover to cover. I want more to meditate on to bring to the rosary when I pick it up  regularly again. (that's not to say I don't periodically say a rosary)   And I don't think I should exit this life without having read the whole Bible.  I don't want to hear, "You managed to read all of those comic books without a problem, and you couldn't get through MY book at least once?"   

On other occasions, I switch out the rosary and go with the Chaplet of St. Micheal. It's great, the BVM, plus the nine choirs invoked.  I would choose that as a primer for people who have never said the rosary regularly to start with that if they want to eventually get an efficacious rosary done. 

The Church is an embarrassment of riches when it comes to devotional options and the opportunity for creating a "menu" and selecting what you want to try and utilize or place aside and try something else. 

The closest thing to it in my understanding is selecting the music you want to play or listen to.  There's such a variety and it's inexhaustible. You can specialize and do a deep dive into one genre or sub-genre or you can spread out and sample a bit of everything for a while and discover some new favorites.  Let the Holy Ghost guide you and don't be afraid to tinker with things within the areas that are permissible. 

aquinas138

The form of the Rosary can vary a lot from place to place. St. Pius V, in Consueverunt Romani (1569) only describes the Rosary as 150 Aves with a Pater at every decade—not even a mention of Gloria Patri! I think the Opus Dei practice comes from the local tradition in Rome, which concludes with the Litany of Loreto. Unless I am mistaken, it has never been common to recite the Fatima prayer in public Rosaries in Italy.
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.

moneil

To follow up on Gerard's observation (Reply #14) ...

I was born in 1951, for sake of chronological context, and attended a parochial school, with a daily Rosary, and we were well acquainted with the Fatima devotion and Father Peyton's films (though we were raised with more of a devotion to Our Lady of Lourdes, the patroness of the Diocese of Spokane (WA).  We did not recite the Fatima Prayer, I knew nothing of it.

I'm guessing that maybe sometime in the 1980's, when I was at a public recitation of the Rosary, I began to notice this added on ejaculation.  I assumed it was something added by Pope John Paul II, and was very surprised to learn that it actually came from Fatima.

I personally do not say it with the Rosary, but I do rather like the ejaculation and may include it with other prayers.