Victorian Laborers

Started by red solo cup, June 04, 2020, 01:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red solo cup

Ignore the creepy voice at the beginning.
Note the clogs every one is wearing. Standard shoes of the working class at the time.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Jayne

Quote from: red solo cup on June 04, 2020, 01:37:07 PM
Note the clogs every one is wearing. Standard shoes of the working class at the time.

The French word for wooden shoes is "sabot".  This is where the word "sabotage" comes from because workers would break machinery by using their shoes.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

red solo cup

Quote from: Jayne on June 04, 2020, 01:46:44 PM
Quote from: red solo cup on June 04, 2020, 01:37:07 PM

The French word for wooden shoes is "sabot".  This is where the word "sabotage" comes from because workers would break machinery by using their shoes.
Watching this they seem to be happy. A lot of people are smiling. Judging by the dirt on some faces, I assume they're coming from a mine.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

dellery

Wow. That was depressing. I can't wait to leave our contemporary world.
Blessed are those who plant trees under whose shade they will never sit.

The closer you get to life the better death will be; the closer you get to death the better life will be.

Nous Defions
St. Phillip Neri, pray for us.

Padraig

It makes me feel rather ashamed that men coming up from a mine are considerably better dressed than I am on any given day of the week.

Also interesting is the fact that all the women have their head covered (other than some of the young girls). The men do as well, but the women having their head covered is relevant to the recent discussion on here. It just goes to show what "progress" really means: degeneration.