Tips for shrinking wool

Started by drummerboy, January 14, 2021, 12:14:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drummerboy

So I bought this hat as a Christmas present for myself: https://www.townsends.us/collections/mens-hats/products/machine-knit-voyageurs-cap-ca-120

The problem is, I washed it like I do all my wools (without a problem, gentle cycle in a pillow case then hang dry), and the hat lost its snugness.  Is there any way to shrink it back just a smidget?  It seems heat can do the trick, but how to know how much?

Thanks!

P.S. Anyone who loves old-fashioned cooking and life in general should check out Townsends youtube channel, you could easily spend a lazy Sunday on it.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

coffeeandcigarette

You are probably going to want to steam in back into shape. Maybe on a ball or a head form. Just hold a hot steamy iron up to it and it will mold it back where you want it. Then let it cool/dry.

Lynne

Quote from: drummerboy on January 14, 2021, 12:14:10 AM

P.S. Anyone who loves old-fashioned cooking and life in general should check out Townsends youtube channel, you could easily spend a lazy Sunday on it.

Yes, a very interesting channel.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

maryslittlegarden

I love that channel.... could easily spend days watching the stuff on it.
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace