Author Topic: Tips for shrinking wool  (Read 934 times)

Offline drummerboy

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: More Catholic than the Pope
Tips for shrinking wool
« on: January 14, 2021, 01:14:10 AM »
So I bought this hat as a Christmas present for myself: https://www.townsends.us/collections/mens-hats/products/machine-knit-voyageurs-cap-ca-120

The problem is, I washed it like I do all my wools (without a problem, gentle cycle in a pillow case then hang dry), and the hat lost its snugness.  Is there any way to shrink it back just a smidget?  It seems heat can do the trick, but how to know how much?

Thanks!

P.S. Anyone who loves old-fashioned cooking and life in general should check out Townsends youtube channel, you could easily spend a lazy Sunday on it.
"Mightier than the sound of many waters, mightier than the surgings of the sea: mighty is the Lord on high"
- Ps 92:4

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, Padraig

Offline coffeeandcigarette

• Mary Garden
  • Korporal
Re: Tips for shrinking wool
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 04:26:07 AM »
You are probably going to want to steam in back into shape. Maybe on a ball or a head form. Just hold a hot steamy iron up to it and it will mold it back where you want it. Then let it cool/dry.

The following users thanked this post: maryslittlegarden, drummerboy

Offline Lynne

• Thankful to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Major
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 05:19:51 AM »

P.S. Anyone who loves old-fashioned cooking and life in general should check out Townsends youtube channel, you could easily spend a lazy Sunday on it.

Yes, a very interesting channel.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael’s Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

“My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you’re supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen.”

Offline maryslittlegarden

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 06:56:38 AM »
I love that channel.... could easily spend days watching the stuff on it.
Bestow upon us, O Lord, we beseech Thee, the spirit to think and do always such things as are right; that we who cannot exist without Thee, may be able to live according to Thy will. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, Who lives and reigns with Thee in the unity of the Holy Spirit, God, forever and ever