Goodbye

Started by Vox Clara, December 15, 2022, 09:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vox Clara

After some prayer and reflection I've decided that I cannot in good conscience continue to post here. This thread was the final straw. Give not that which is holy to dogs; neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest perhaps they trample them under their feet, and turning upon you, they tear you.

Over the past year I've come to think of many of you as friends. I will miss you.

Goodbye and God bless.

The Curt Jester

Hm.

One person (quite typical on forums, really) calls into question an apparition and that turns the rest into swine, eh?

Quaint.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

drummerboy

Well I appreciated your posts about liturgical feasts and customs.  God bless
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Instaurare omnia

Nisi Dominus custodierit civitatem, frustra vigilat qui custodit eam (Psalm 126:2).
Benedicite, montes et colles, Domino: benedicite universa germinantia in terra, Domino (Daniel 3:75-76).
Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation (Psalm 145:2-3).

Michael Wilson

I think you should continue; just put that poster on "ignore"; the rest of us disagree with his opinion on Our Lady of Guadalupe. I am also very edified by your postings on the different feastdays of the saints.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

diaduit

I'll miss your posts Vox, I hope you reconsider.

Julio

Quote from: Michael Wilson on December 15, 2022, 12:52:20 PM
I think you should continue; just put that poster on "ignore"; the rest of us disagree with his opinion on Our Lady of Guadalupe. I am also very edified by your postings on the different feastdays of the saints.
I echo this. Seeking for your change of heart. Whatever shall be your final decision, God bless.

Bonaventure

I'm sad to see you go. I wouldn't let these things get to you. Once, an outspoken "feminist" (married with children) told me that perhaps it was a good thing that my wife miscarried. On this very forum.

We cannot let these types of things get to us.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Miriam_M

I didn't really understand the back-and-forth on the thread that was linked by the OP, so I'm not in a position to argue particular points.  I will just say that even private revelation that enjoys a level of approval by the Church is nevertheless personal and individualistic.  There have been a couple of members who have objected to even the rosary, although the Church uses it as public prayer, Herself.

Sometimes it's merely how someone reacts to what for them is associated with a devotion, rather than the devotion itself.  IOW, there are indeed Catholics who seem to get carried away with one or all devotions and begin to substitute private devotions for general feast days and more universally celebrated events.

An example from my own recent past was a routine Fatima celebration with procession that was celebrated on the 13th of every month.  I love Fatima and certainly the rosary and Marian feasts in general.  However, there was a woman in the procession with an absolute fetish about devotions, if I'm allowed to put it that way.  People who treat feast days superstitiously really turn me off; they have missed the whole point of why the CHURCH recommends these devotions.  Had I not already a love for Fatima and Marian feasts, I'm pretty sure that someone who treated the devotion like some magic charm would have ensured that I lose interest entirely.

The bottom line is that negative reactions are not really reflective of the value of a feast or devotion.  It's really our job as individual Catholics to carve out a spirituality that works for us -- sometimes with the help of a director -- and to have the integrity to respond to the urgings of the Holy Spirit, regardless of how many or how few people share those same urgings, or whether some people seem unable to distinguish a devotion from a cult.

Michael Wilson

The poster denied that the apparition of Our Lady and the Picture where legitimate.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Miriam_M

Oh, I see.
Well, many Catholics deny Faustina and Divine Mercy, even though I believe the Church is okay with it. I'm also okay with it, even though I would never choose to substitute it for the rosary, and certainly not regularly. I was once given the Chaplet as a penance after Confession. I had to look up how to say it since it's not my go-to devotion.

The point is, it's not worth getting exercised about when another Catholic doesn't share our devotional preferences. Even when approved, they're preferences and opinions, not mandates either positive or negative on the Church's part. When it comes to devotions, we should just go where the Third Person leads us and be at peace with our convictions.

Polymath

Given some of the recent threads I've seen, I'm near there myself.  If I wanted to deal with liberal trolls, I'd be in a mainstream "Catholic" group.

diaduit

I hope you don't leave Poly, you're one of the few new accounts that doesn't seem to want to cause trouble.

Polymath

Quote from: diaduit on December 18, 2022, 11:09:43 AM
I hope you don't leave Poly, you're one of the few new accounts that doesn't seem to want to cause trouble.

Thanks.  Sometimes I just get a bit frustrated with those who do want to cause trouble...

Goldfinch

Quote from: The Curt Jester on December 15, 2022, 11:22:43 AMOne person (quite typical on forums, really) calls into question an apparition and that turns the rest into swine, eh?

That is a complete misreading of my wife's point. She's concerned and upset about the treatment of holy things on the forum. It has become a banality to see them questioned and trampled underfoot by trolls or confused converts who quickly burn out. They keep popping up left and right around here, often unchallenged. We've had many attacks over the past months, including a vile attack on the holy rosary that lasted for three full days until the scandal was so overwhelming that something was finally done about it. I second Polymath's feelings. If we wanted to deal with liberal trolls, we'd be on a mainstream Novus Ordo forum where everything that is sacred in our faith, from dogmas to simple devotions, is questioned under the pretense of intellectual inquiry. Faith is not a mere intellectual exercise, it's a living experience that forms our character, our sensibilities and our attitudes. Our Catholic ethos is in danger when we tolerate and grow accustomed to an attitude of irreverence towards holy things, no matter how small they might be.

Quote from: Miriam_M on December 16, 2022, 09:36:12 AMThe point is, it's not worth getting exercised about when another Catholic doesn't share our devotional preferences. Even when approved, they're preferences and opinions, not mandates either positive or negative on the Church's part. When it comes to devotions, we should just go where the Third Person leads us and be at peace with our convictions.

Walking Wounded stated that the Guadalupian devotion, that stretches back 500 years and has had the full approval of the Church, has brought forth sour, heretical fruit. This is not someone who might have genuine doubts over some aspect of a devotion, or someone who is simply not attached to it. No, it's a Satanic attack against the Church and Catholic piety. Walking Wounded felt so emboldened as to state that Catholic Hispanic culture is altogether pagan. Eventually, when this sort of thing becomes so widespread and common as it has here, it will drive people away. We are already swimming against the tide in the real world, and some of us in our own parishes, we don't need that garbage here.

Whenever I read people like Walking Wounded pridefully boast that "some of us know the difference between the levels of the hierarchy of Truth," I already know what's coming. And so did Vox Clara. It's not pretty, it's dark and troublesome. But while Walking Wounded might not last long here (or in the Church for that matter), there are still good Catholics at SD who are passively witnessing the hijacking of this space, which should be a safe haven for traditional piety, devotion and faith, by enemies of Our Lord. It's sad.
"For there are no works of power, dearly-beloved, without the trials of temptations, there is no faith without proof, no contest without a foe, no victory without conflict. This life of ours is in the midst of snares, in the midst of battles; if we do not wish to be deceived, we must watch: if we want to overcome, we must fight." - St. Leo the Great