Bought anything interesting lately?

Started by Kaesekopf, December 30, 2012, 10:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prayerful

Quote from: Jacob on September 05, 2020, 06:02:14 PM
An Angelus missal.  They have some with leather covers in stock while supplies last, so I splurged.  Interested in comparing first hand to my Baronius missal.

Both are based off the New Marian / Ideal Missal, I think. It is interesting how they both publishers reworked the same source missal, yet did a number of things differently. Both provided the Latin for all the propers, rather than half and half, but I think the Baronius fitted the text better. I think. Anyhow, same source, somewhat different result.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

mikemac

Quote from: Jacob on September 05, 2020, 06:02:14 PM
An Angelus missal.  They have some with leather covers in stock while supplies last, so I splurged.  Interested in comparing first hand to my Baronius missal.

I think you will like the Angelus missal better.  I did because I didn't have to flip back for the Preface.  I heard one person complain about the thin rice paper in the Angelus missal though.
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

Jacob

Quote from: Prayerful on September 05, 2020, 06:40:43 PM
Both are based off the New Marian / Ideal Missal, I think. It is interesting how they both publishers reworked the same source missal, yet did a number of things differently. Both provided the Latin for all the propers, rather than half and half, but I think the Baronius fitted the text better. I think. Anyhow, same source, somewhat different result.

I am looking forward to reading all the commentary the Angelus has throughout.

Quote from: mikemac on September 05, 2020, 07:24:19 PM
I think you will like the Angelus missal better.  I did because I didn't have to flip back for the Preface.  I heard one person complain about the thin rice paper in the Angelus missal though.

I've had my Baronius a long time, since before SP.  It's going to take a lot to change my preference. :)  We'll see how it goes.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Philip G.

Quote from: Bernadette on August 27, 2020, 04:20:46 PM
Quote from: Philip G. on August 20, 2020, 11:30:21 PM
I just won an ebay auction for one dollar for a "my daily psalm book".   It is a psalm book arranged in the order of the divine office.

I have this on kindle.  ;)

So far I am upset that they changed the word "unicorn" to "buffalo".  Aren't buffalo limited to North America?  I really like how compact it is, and that I don't have to do any page flipping.  It aids meditation in that sense.  Left to right, and top to bottom.
For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

Bernadette

I bought a new china head doll for my collection, my birthday present to myself (early, but who's counting?). She's enormous, nearly 30" and comes wearing a silk dress that I'll be able to use as a pattern to finally sew a dress for my other china head doll.
My Lord and my God.

Bernadette

Here she is! She's absolutely gorgeous! I've never seen one with so much color. https://imgur.com/a/zv3caXd
My Lord and my God.

Heinrich

Quote from: Bernadette on September 11, 2020, 01:12:28 PM
Here she is! She's absolutely gorgeous! I've never seen one with so much color. https://imgur.com/a/zv3caXd

She looks French.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Bernadette

Quote from: Heinrich on September 11, 2020, 02:26:05 PM

She looks French.

She's actually German, or at least that's what the seller said.
My Lord and my God.

Heinrich

Quote from: Bernadette on September 11, 2020, 02:53:26 PM
Quote from: Heinrich on September 11, 2020, 02:26:05 PM

She looks French.

She's actually German, or at least that's what the seller said.

sacré bleu! Wahsinn!

I'll show Mrs. H. She likes stuff like that.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Jacob

Quote from: mikemac on September 05, 2020, 07:24:19 PM

The paper, oh my!  I have shaky hands and fingers.  Getting apart some those pages stuck together due to the gilding...  The Baronius has thin pages, but they're not thin thin!

I do like the cover though.  My Baronius is over a decade old and the covers are still stiff, but the Angelus is already bending quite nicely when I hold it in my hand
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Bernadette

Bought a book of 1870s dress patterns, to sew for my China-head dolls. I can't wait until it gets here.
My Lord and my God.

OzarkCatholic

Completed purchase of recording console for my classroom.
Feels like Groundhog Day again.

Bernadette

A larger sewing box. It's one of the cantilever ones that folds out, made in Norway. I've wanted one for years. Now I can keep my quilt pieces in it with my supplies and not in my dresser. Lol.
My Lord and my God.

Bernadette

https://www.touchwoodboxes.co.uk/product-page/large-heirloom-workbox

Edit: It's handmade in England, of oak. Loads of customizable features, but I just got the basic large one. I figure I can get casters put on in the future if necessary. I'm so excited! I've been putting off starting a new quilt, but now all of my fabric and tools will be organized. :)

Edit 2: I don't know why it isn't showing up now.
My Lord and my God.

Bernadette

My first Steiff bear for my collection. He's a whopper, too, 30". I'm elated.  ;D I've wanted a big Stiff for about twenty years, though my dream was always for a 24" one. I never dreamed in a million years that I would find a 30" one.
My Lord and my God.