creating a website for my parish

Started by voxxpopulisuxx, February 09, 2013, 01:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

voxxpopulisuxx

Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.

Gottmitunsalex

"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Chrysostom  Sunday Homily

"The two goals of the Jews: The universal domination of the world and the destruction of Catholicism, out of hatred for Christ" --Mgr. Jouin

Ben

Looking decent!

Rewrite "atmosphere where which we can worship."

And "awhile" should be two words.

Ben

On second thought, it doesn't look that good. It looks like a website that was common back in the 90s. I checked out the About Us page and you should nix the picture overlaid with text. Just the text, and not underlined.

It should be "St Michael's"; not "St. Michaels."

The About Us link should be under the name of the church.

Also the text on the left overlaps a picture at the bottom.

"Hello and welcome to our Website." "Website" should be lower-cased.

And how about an exterior photo of the church for the front page?

voxxpopulisuxx

Quote from: Ben on February 09, 2013, 03:30:43 PM
On second thought, it doesn't look that good. It looks like a website that was common back in the 90s. I checked out the About Us page and you should nix the picture overlaid with text. Just the text, and not underlined.

It should be "St Michael's"; not "St. Michaels."

The About Us link should be under the name of the church.

Also the text on the left overlaps a picture at the bottom.

"Hello and welcome to our Website." "Website" should be lower-cased.

And how about an exterior photo of the church for the front page?
Well Im working with limited resources.and a website design program that is just basic..but the grammer stuff is good criticism. The text over lap was noticed by me too and I was tweeking that. I like the painting of the baptism of vladimir...but I also wasnt happy with the text overlay...Im not sure where to put it...I underlined it to make it more readable over the image. But I will be changing it. Did you try the buttons for the Divine Liturgy and directions?
Also I will be bringing a Camera to get more actual shots of the church, I had already planned that.

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Kaesekopf

A few things:
Feel free to ask us to proofread your site.  I imagine a bunch will be willing to help your endeavor! 

Some stylistic points:
I would avoid placing text over images.  It makes it a lot harder to read.  Your about page is impossible to read with the white text on the image.

I would also put exterior photos of your chapel and a map to your chapel as well, so people know what to look for.  Personally, I'd include where to park as well, since I have always wondered if there was a good place for parking if I was a newcomer to a chapel. 

Can you post perhaps videos of the DL as well?  You could host them on YouTube.  Doesn't have to be anything terribly fancy. 

Overall, not too bad.  :)
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Ben

Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on February 09, 2013, 05:39:32 PM
Well Im working with limited resources.and a website design program that is just basic..but the grammer stuff is good criticism. The text over lap was noticed by me too and I was tweeking that. I like the painting of the baptism of vladimir...but I also wasnt happy with the text overlay...Im not sure where to put it...I underlined it to make it more readable over the image. But I will be changing it. Did you try the buttons for the Divine Liturgy and directions?
Also I will be bringing a Camera to get more actual shots of the church, I had already planned that.

The links work. Right now they open in the same page of your website. I suggest that you make links to other websites open up in new tabs.

http://www.accessc.com/articles/open-external-links-new-tab.html

Just a suggestion, but you might want to use this website instead: http://www.squarespace.com/

$8/month. They have handsome templates for creating websites, and you don't have to deal with coding.

voxxpopulisuxx

I have more photos coming.....i will address the text over the painting....i like the parking info suggestion...the program im using is according to webresearch the best for what you see is what you get desigb...im doing zero codeing....ps kk the map to the church is under the icon of Christ and Peter...is that to hard to figure out do ya think...i thought it a clver use of the icon..but not if its too clever

911!

Ben

The map link works fine, but I was thinking you should have a separate page for contact info and directions. On that page you could add a Google Map: http://maps.google.com/help/maps/getmaps/plot-one.html

Kaesekopf

I do not like pictures that are links.  So I would recommend against that.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

voxxpopulisuxx

Quote from: Kaesekopf on February 10, 2013, 04:08:53 PM
interesting...what dont you like about it?

911!

Kaesekopf

Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on February 10, 2013, 05:22:17 PM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on February 10, 2013, 04:08:53 PM
interesting...what dont you like about it?

I just have never liked pictures as being links to thinks, because it blurs things.  Are all pictures links?  Only some pictures links?  Which picture is a link?  Do I want to click it?  What am I clicking on when I click a picture link?

Those all go through my mind, lol.

Gottmitunsalex

"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Chrysostom  Sunday Homily

"The two goals of the Jews: The universal domination of the world and the destruction of Catholicism, out of hatred for Christ" --Mgr. Jouin

voxxpopulisuxx

911!

Ben

Any update on your website? I see the link no longer works.