Getting Vitamin D through sunlight

Started by Jayne, May 31, 2021, 11:00:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayne

https://www.kevinstock.io/health/health-dangers-of-sun-avoidance/

Here are some key excerpts from a longer article:

QuoteWe know cardiovascular diseases like heart attacks and strokes as well as overall mortality increase the further you move from the equator. And we know there is a strong correlation between blood levels of vitamin D and the latitudes at which people live.

The risk of heart disease and heart attack dramatically drop in the summer, and go way up in the winter.

The more sunshine you get (the higher your vitamin D levels) the healthier you are. We have known this. It is why vitamin D has garnered so much recognition. Many people think vitamin D deficiency is the root cause of our downward spiraling health.

Vitamin D deficiency is associated with nearly every chronic illness you can think of.

And most of us are deficient.

Up to 85% of Americans and nearly 95% of senior citizens don't have adequate levels of vitamin D. Deficiencies are even more common in people with darker skin because not only are they living indoors like the rest of the modern world, but they have a "thicker shield" as well.

Less sunlight + more melanin = people with darker skin suffering higher rates of heart disease, diabetes, and cancers. Diseases that are all lessened with more sunlight exposure.

QuoteSun exposure is known for increasing Vitamin D production, which is immensely important. But that's not it.

Sun exposure also releases a number of other critical compounds in the body like nitric oxide which lowers blood pressure and serotonin and endorphins which make you feel good. It regulates circadian rhythms that improve sleep. It's been shown to decrease the risks of cancers, mental health disorders, autoimmune diseases, and even improve fertility and metabolic syndrome.

QuoteLet's address the elephant in the room. Skin cancer.

Yes, we know that sun exposure is linked with skin cancers. However, not all skin cancers are the same. Basal cell carcinomas and squamous cell carcinomas are rarely fatal. For every 100 people that die from cardiovascular diseases, about 1 dies from skin cancer.

The deaths associated with sunlight deprivation far outweigh that from sun exposure.

Melanoma
Melanoma is the deadly type of skin cancer. It's quite rare (1-3% of all new skin cancers).

Sun exposure isn't the problem though. Outdoor workers have half the melanoma rate as indoor workers. Rather, the risk stems from being indoors 24/7 and then vacationing for a week and getting burnt to a crisp.

The evidence is that long-term sun exposure is inversely related to melanoma. More sun, less melanoma.

The risks the sun poses is:

Not getting enough
Getting burned (because of 1)
Getting regular sun not only decreases your chances of getting melanoma but various other cancers too. Regular sun exposure increases your life expectancy and decreases the likelihood of developing most of the chronic diseases of modern world.

QuoteHere's my simple guidelines:

Don't get burned – if this means using sunscreen – than use it. If you have fairer skin and need sunscreen to avoid burning, spend some time in the sun without the sunscreen applied and some time with it. If you have darker skin, know that you need more time in the sun and need less protection.
Get some sun every day you possibly can. Not only will you be getting the huge benefits associated with sunshine, you will also be less likely to burn, and thus decrease your risk from UV radiation.
Mid-day is the best time to get sun. This is when UVB rays, the wavelength that produces vitamin D, is highest.
Fair-skinned people can nearly maximise vitamin D in about 20 minutes during solar noon with adequate skin exposure. The darker the skin, the more time you need.

The author is a proponent of the carnivore diet, so the article also talks about the role of eating meat in having adequate Vitamin D.  I only selected quotes about the sunlight aspect, so it could be considered separately.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

drummerboy

Sunlight has also been effective in treating skin conditions like psoriasis.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

clau clau

This new learning amazes me Sir Bedevere. Explain to me again how sheep's bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.     ;D
Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

Insanis

I get Vitamin D the old fashioned way, from a bottle.

drummerboy

Quote from: Insanis on June 01, 2021, 03:29:48 PM

Vodka is old Russian folk cure for no sun during long winter

Insanis

Quote from: drummerboy on June 01, 2021, 10:49:21 PM
Quote from: Insanis on June 01, 2021, 03:29:48 PM

Vodka is old Russian folk cure for no sun during long winter

I meant from a bottle of tablets of ergocalciferol.

red solo cup

One bare arm in the sunlight for ten minutes a day is all you need.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

drummerboy

Isn't there a connection between fish liver oil and vitamin D?  Or am I thinking of the omega-3 fat?  I just keep thinking that salmon has vitamin D.  Perhaps the bones?

Insanis

Quote from: drummerboy on June 03, 2021, 11:09:16 PM
Isn't there a connection between fish liver oil and vitamin D?  Or am I thinking of the omega-3 fat?  I just keep thinking that salmon has vitamin D.  Perhaps the bones?

You are right: it has Vitamin D, and Omega-3 fatty acids, along with Vitamin A.

Vitamin D would be in the flesh of animals, especially fatty tissue.

Animal livers in general are rich in many nutrients, because that is where we (yes, we have livers too) store certain nutrients.

Melkor

Quote from: Insanis on June 04, 2021, 05:29:02 AM
Quote from: drummerboy on June 03, 2021, 11:09:16 PM

You are right: it has Vitamin D, and Omega-3 fatty acids, along with Vitamin A.

Vitamin D would be in the flesh of animals, especially fatty tissue.

Animal livers in general are rich in many nutrients, because that is where we (yes, we have livers too) store certain nutrients.

Wait, we have livers? I failed biology class in high school.....
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Insanis

Quote from: Melkor on June 04, 2021, 06:42:42 AM
Wait, we have livers? I failed biology class in high school.....

I think you are joking around, but yes, we have livers.

My statement was because the sentence was about animals and I used "we" as to refer to the same animals. I didn't want it to read like I was a fish posting.

QuoteAnimal livers in general are rich in many nutrients, because that is where we (yes, we have livers too) store certain nutrients.

Maybe it is just me though: if I read this without the parenthetical, I'd view it as a fish posting.