Catholic smartphone apps

Started by Kaesekopf, December 27, 2012, 03:04:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

Are you aware of any good Catholic smartphone apps? 

I know for iPhone/iPad there is the Breviarium Meum application written by the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate (FFI) and uses laszlo's Divinum Officium website.
Divinum Officium
Breviarium Meum

I also semi-regularly use the Android application "Laudate." 
Laudate

There was also this, Consecration to Mary.  It was pretty straightforward and not really ported too well to Android.  But, it gets the job done and provides the daily prayers for consecration to Mary.
Consecration to Mary
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Hat And Beard

When I first got my iPhone, I downloaded iPieta:http://www.ipieta.com/

Can't say if it's good or bad, really, I'm not much of an app person. It's got the daily readings from the Douay-Rheims, the trad calender, and lots of traditional catholic ebooks, so it can't be all bad. :)

Archer

I have iPieta as well.  It's pretty much a one stop shop. 
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

totiusque

Quote from: Kaesekopf on December 27, 2012, 03:04:23 AM
Consecration to Mary.  It was pretty straightforward and not really ported too well to Android.  But, it gets the job done and provides the daily prayers for consecration to Mary.
Consecration to Mary

Great, thanks for this!  My Consecration starts up in a couple weeks, and I didn't even think to look for an app (and I'm always losing the books).  I noticed the prayers are worded a little differently than in the books, but I've got most of them memorized by now anyway.
"Whenever anything disagreeable or displeasing happens to you, remember Christ crucified and be silent."
—St John of the Cross

erin is nice

I love iPieta. It has everything a Catholic could need, even the Summa and the Haydock commentary.

tx2step

I have CathSermons and CathHistory I purchased both full versions, I listen in  the mornings and with my children.  I enjoy RC Buddy, the Year of Faith app, Magnificat, AMR Radio,Martyrologium Romanum, Saint of the Day, and a Rosary App.
And all those mentioned.

totiusque

I've got a Fulton Sheen App and it contains a lot of his sermons.  The free version only has about 30 or so, but the full version has hundreds.

Edited to add:  Forgot to mention my Confession app.  I don't use it often, but it can come in handy (especially if you have trouble remembering the date of your last Confession).
"Whenever anything disagreeable or displeasing happens to you, remember Christ crucified and be silent."
—St John of the Cross

tx2step

A Fulton Sheen app?
I'm getting it!

Spooky

iPieta and Laudate are the ones I have.

Lateran

I have:

RC Calendar (NO)
Laudate
Catholic TV&Radio
iCatholicFM
RadioVaticana
saltandlight
ThePopeApp

all free

Would love to have iPieta, but I am restricted to the free stuff.

voxxpopulisuxx

I just got discerning hearts...its liberal but has good mp3 rosarys and prayers available. Laudate is ok im looking into pieta.
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.

Bernadette

Quote from: totiusque on February 06, 2013, 07:28:07 PM
I've got a Fulton Sheen App and it contains a lot of his sermons.  The free version only has about 30 or so, but the full version has hundreds.

Wow, I had no idea! I love listening to Fulton Sheen! Can you download the talks, as well as stream them? I'd love to put them on my ipod.  :)
My Lord and my God.

Christknight104

The iMass app is very good. For 99 cents, you get a full missal and breviary, audio of sermons said by FSSP priests, and a live stream of daily low and  Sunday high masses said by the same FSSP priests all on your iPhone.

totiusque

Quote from: Bernadette on February 08, 2013, 06:27:55 PM
Quote from: totiusque on February 06, 2013, 07:28:07 PM

Wow, I had no idea! I love listening to Fulton Sheen! Can you download the talks, as well as stream them? I'd love to put them on my ipod.  :)

I'm not sure if you can do this or not.  I have the app for Android so I'm not sure if they even have this for the iPhone, but if you can figure out how to download or stream these, let me know!  That would come in quite handy.
—St John of the Cross

Archer

Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on February 08, 2013, 06:44:32 AM
I just got discerning hearts...its liberal but has good mp3 rosarys and prayers available. Laudate is ok im looking into pieta.

iPieta is definitely worth it, with a few exceptions it's almost completely Traditional.  I don't think you'll be disappointed Voxx.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ipieta-catholic-teaching-calendar/id311106959?mt=8
CONTENT:
• Bibles: Douay-Rheims, Clementine Vulgate (Catholic and public domain; note that Psalms are COMPLETE but numbered as in the Vulgate).

• Baltimore Catechisms #1-3 (original); the Cat. of Christian Doctrine, the Roman Catechism, and the Cat. of St. Thomas Aquinas.

• Both the Ordinary (Novus Ordo) and Extraordinary (Tridentine) Calendars with access to the day's Gospel and Reading(s) from the Douay-Rheims & Vulgate.

• Numerous devotions and prayers, including 33-Day Total Consecration Preparation, Novena to the Holy Spirit, St. Alphonsus Stations of the Cross, and the St. Bridget 1-Year and 12-Year Prayers.

• Spiritual works from authors including St. Louis Marie de Montfort, St. Teresa of Jesus, St. John of the Cross, St. Catherine of Siena, St. Thomas Aquinas (Summa and Catena), St. Francis deSales, and St. Jean-Marie Vianney.

• Papal Encyclicals and Conciliar Documents

• Fathers of the Church (Erdman's collection)

• Misc: Scripture for the Holy Rosary, Examination of Conscience, 1894 Butler Saint of the Day
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney