Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gardener

Quote from: Jacob on March 08, 2021, 04:12:53 PM
Quote from: red solo cup on March 08, 2021, 06:00:21 AM
Watched A Hidden Life. The cinematography was marvelous. Were those the Austrian Alps ? Seemed like everything was either uphill or downhill.
When I was a younger man I would have admired what he did without any reservation. But I couldn't help but feel he left his wife without a husband and his children without a father. The image of his wife and her sister reduced to dragging the cultivator by the strength of their own backs was telling. And when his priest tried to change his mind. I thought it was intellectually sly. You can say what you want because God knows what is really in your heart. And the mayor tipping his hat to the wife seemed to show him acknowledging her and Kurt's sacrifice when he had been the most vocal opponent was a nice touch. Loved seeing them pray in the fields when the Angelus rang.

The Alpine locations really are marvelous.  His stand is admirable to a degree, but I agree.  They offered him some kind of conscientious service.  He should have taken it after spending time in prison.  The point was made.

No. He offered to serve as a medic but would not take the Hitler Oath and his offer to serve as a medic instead was ignored.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Jacob

Quote from: Gardener on March 08, 2021, 04:19:44 PM
Watched A Hidden Life. The cinematography was marvelous. Were those the Austrian Alps ? Seemed like everything was either uphill or downhill.
When I was a younger man I would have admired what he did without any reservation. But I couldn't help but feel he left his wife without a husband and his children without a father. The image of his wife and her sister reduced to dragging the cultivator by the strength of their own backs was telling. And when his priest tried to change his mind. I thought it was intellectually sly. You can say what you want because God knows what is really in your heart. And the mayor tipping his hat to the wife seemed to show him acknowledging her and Kurt's sacrifice when he had been the most vocal opponent was a nice touch. Loved seeing them pray in the fields when the Angelus rang.

The Alpine locations really are marvelous.  His stand is admirable to a degree, but I agree.  They offered him some kind of conscientious service.  He should have taken it after spending time in prison.  The point was made.

No. He offered to serve as a medic but would not take the Hitler Oath and his offer to serve as a medic instead was ignored.

I remember, yeah.  I was thinking though, spend time in prison to take a stand and then submit for the good of his family.  I think they did offer him later on the chance to serve as a medic or something if he would take the oath.  Would that be bending too far?  Is it all or nothing?
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Gardener

Quote from: Jacob on March 08, 2021, 07:56:53 PM
Quote from: Gardener on March 08, 2021, 04:19:44 PM

I remember, yeah.  I was thinking though, spend time in prison to take a stand and then submit for the good of his family.  I think they did offer him later on the chance to serve as a medic or something if he would take the oath.  Would that be bending too far?  Is it all or nothing?

What good is a man to his family who bends like a reed shaken in the wind, supposedly for their sake? Who could look his wife and children in the eye after such a display of cowardice? He stood strong with the grace given him and became a martyr: instant heaven, instant appeal to God for his family in all needs, instantly never being tested again.

Again, HE offered to serve as a medic but THEY refused. He additionally refused to take the idolatrous oath to Hitler which promised unconditional obedience and placed Hitler essentially on the same level as God.

God forbid any man acquiesce to such a situation for the temporary and only apparent good of his family, and in doing so risk the damnation of his soul.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

ralfy

Sundays and Cybele

QuoteSundays and Cybele is a 1962 French film in Franscope, directed by Serge Bourguignon. Its original French title is Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray (Sundays in Ville d'Avray), referring to the Ville-d'Avray suburb of Paris. The film tells the tragic story of a young girl who is befriended by an innocent but emotionally disabled veteran of the French Indochina War. The film is based on a novel by Bernard Eschasseriaux [fr], who collaborated on the screenplay.

Clip:

[yt]L2WPI41JY3g[/yt]

News clip, 1963 Oscars:

[yt]uu8xwYcr8RE[/yt]

The Battle of Algiers

QuoteThe Battle of Algiers (Italian: La battaglia di Algeri; Arabic: ????? ????????, romanized: Ma?rakat al-Jaz??ir) is a 1966 Italian-Algerian historical war film co-written and directed by Gillo Pontecorvo and starring Jean Martin and Saadi Yacef. It is based on events by rebels during the Algerian War (1954–1962) against the French government in North Africa; the most prominent being the titular Battle of Algiers, the capital of Algeria. It was shot on location and the film's score was composed by Ennio Morricone. The film was shot in a Roberto Rossellini-inspired newsreel style: in black and white with documentary-type editing to add to its sense of historical authenticity, with mostly non-professional actors who had lived through the real battle. It is often associated with Italian neorealist cinema.[2]

Trailer:

[yt]vhhoS3zOskE[/yt]

Bernadette

My Lord and my God.

DigitalLogos

I watched Black Death [2010] starring Sean Bean and Eddie Redmayne. It was decent, but very bleak and grim. It is centered around a novice monk who is being drawn away from his vows after a girl during the outbreak of the Black Death across Europe. He volunteers to lead a party of mercenaries charged by the local Bishop to look into a town that is supposed to be untouched by the plague and is claimed to be harboring a necromancer.

I liked the zeal of the lead character Ulric (Sean Bean) and his dedication to extinguishing the threat of witchcraft from the village. There's also some very gripping scenes when the protagonists are faced with renouncing their faith or becoming martyrs, so it had me engaged at this point. I overall liked the film.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation. - Ps. 145:2-3

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables." - 2 Timothy 4:3-4

Heinrich

Land of Mine/Unter dem Sand. Brutal, engaging, tense. 
[yt][/yt]
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

DigitalLogos

Quote from: Heinrich on April 27, 2021, 07:03:08 PM
Land of Mine/Unter dem Sand. Brutal, engaging, tense. 
[yt][/yt]

That looks great, I'll have to check it out
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation. - Ps. 145:2-3

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables." - 2 Timothy 4:3-4

Gerard

drummerboy

Darby O'Gill and the Little People
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

red solo cup

Blade Runner 2049. Not bad. They occasionally captured the feel of the original.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Gardener

Watched A Hidden Life at a local movie theater that is more "artsy".

Man alive what a punch in the gut.

Blessed Franz Jägerstätter, pray for us.

red solo cup

Unhinged with Russell Crowe. Whoa what happened to Crowe? Did he pork up for the movie or is he like that now?
non impediti ratione cogitationis

DigitalLogos

Quote from: red solo cup on May 21, 2021, 10:32:33 AM
Unhinged with Russell Crowe. Whoa what happened to Crowe? Did he pork up for the movie or is he like that now?

Nah, he's been a bit of a ham the past decade. He certainly isn't fit like in Gladiator anymore.

Tennessean

Crowe had a big divorce, iirc.

Sent from my SM-A025V using Tapatalk